Reload this Page >

Geelong Or Ballarat ?????

Geelong Or Ballarat ?????

Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

FITCHETT FAMILY will become famous soon enough
Default Geelong Or Ballarat ?????

Hiya Folks,
We have been looking at Geelong to live when we arrive in May ( Grovedale, Blmont, Highton ) .but after speaking to a work contact last night he has told me he thinks Ballarat is a nicer place to live , with great Schools , University, houses etc..
Can any 1 give us advice on this as now my head is battered.
Thanks
Damian
Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:49 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geelong Or Ballarat ?????

Originally Posted by FITCHETT FAMILY
Hiya Folks,
We have been looking at Geelong to live when we arrive in May ( Grovedale, Blmont, Highton ) .but after speaking to a work contact last night he has told me he thinks Ballarat is a nicer place to live , with great Schools , University, houses etc..
Thanks
Damian
Ballarats, "bloody freezin" in July gets down to -4deg c in winter............. mm
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mr mover
Ballarats, "bloody freezin" in July gets down to -4deg c in winter............. mm
Take it thats a no no from you Mr mover !!!
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:01 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Ballarat is lovely but have to agree with MrMover, its bloody freezin in Winter.
Nothing wrong with Geelong, if you had made your mind up on Geelong I'd stick with it.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:05 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Was chatting to a work colleague today who lived in Ballarat for several years.
Let's just say he was not partial to it.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:07 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix
Was chatting to a work colleague today who lived in Ballarat for several years.
Let's just say he was not partial to it.

If I had the choice of Cairns or Ballarat I wouldn't be keen on it either.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bordy
If I had the choice of Cairns or Ballarat I wouldn't be keen on it either.
I have family in Geelong in the areas you mention. Geelong is so close to the Great Ocean Road and isn't a bad little place. It has beautiful botanical gardens and they've done up the coast really well. As for schools my sister in law has no complaints...hope that helps
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:31 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by pako
I have family in Geelong in the areas you mention. Geelong is so close to the Great Ocean Road and isn't a bad little place. It has beautiful botanical gardens and they've done up the coast really well. As for schools my sister in law has no complaints...hope that helps
Geelongs closer to the coast if your interested in swimming, surfing or fishing.

Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aussie73
Geelongs closer to the coast if your interested in swimming, surfing or fishing.
Doesnt seem a contest then , not much good from ballarat !!!!
Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:42 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

No contest ... we live in Geelong, and it's a super spot to live in the world ... if you want to live 1 hour+ from the beach and enjoy scraping ice off your windscreen in the winter I'd stay in the UK!

Best regards.

Hiya Folks,
Thanks
Damian
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
No contest ... we live in Geelong, and it's a super spot to live in the world ... if you want to live 1 hour+ from the beach and enjoy scraping ice off your windscreen in the winter I'd stay in the UK!

Best regards.
Cheers for that Alan , seems to be most peoples view that Geelong is the better option. where abouts do you live in Geelong, which places are the best in your opinion around Geelong or anybody else`s views???????
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that Alan , seems to be most peoples view that Geelong is the better option. where abouts do you live in Geelong, which places are the best in your opinion around Geelong or anybody else`s views???????
I would go for the white homestead style house with verandah near the fountain overlooking Eastern Beach, Corio Bay, the You Yangs and distant views of Melbourne CBD. But I reckon it would go for $2 mill if it was for sale!

Seriously, Eastern Beach is the best part of Geelong but you'll pay Melbourne waterfront prices there.

OzTennis
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I would go for the white homestead style house with verandah near the fountain overlooking Eastern Beach, Corio Bay, the You Yangs and distant views of Melbourne CBD. But I reckon it would go for $2 mill if it was for sale!

Seriously, Eastern Beach is the best part of Geelong but you'll pay Melbourne waterfront prices there.

OzTennis
Hi all,
Thanks again for your replys, Geelong it is then!
OzTennis - $2 mill is a bit over our price range, but nice thought!
Tina
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

just my two pennies worth...just returned from my reccie,
Yes apart from Sovereign Hill tourist attraction in Ballarat, it has a provincial town feel and everyone tells you its cold. I had a good look around it, my aunt lives there.
I also went to Geelong and agree to all above comments. My friend took me to North Geelong to see her friends who have just moved to an older house with character, we also looked at the suburbs mentioned earlier. The eastern beach looks man- made close up ( although in my photos it looks lovely!) - the marina area looks good, the park area looks good if you have kids.
It is not far from Ballerine penisular, Torquay and surf beaches and Great Ocean road.
The freeway was fast to Melbourne city after 9.30am.