Geelong

Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:16 am
Just Joined

rydel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Geelong

Hi there

Has anyone been to Geelong in Melbourne? From what I read on the internet, it seems to be quite a big town. If you have been there what is your opinion of this place?

We will be going there end of this week for two weeks, getting ourselves registered with the various government agencies etc etc., and Geelong seems to have all of them there.

Cheers,
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Geelong

Hi

What made you choose Geelong in the first place?

Noodle
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by noodle
Hi

What made you choose Geelong in the first place?

Noodle

We will only be staying there for two weeks, for landing (to validate our visa). I don't think we will end up settling down there as it is too far away from the folks we know who is living in the Glen Waverley area. We will probably settle around this area eventually.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rydel
We will only be staying there for two weeks, for landing (to validate our visa). I don't think we will end up settling down there as it is too far away from the folks we know who is living in the Glen Waverley area. We will probably settle around this area eventually.
Oh right. I just wondered because most people seem to go to the Bayside area of Melbourne, which is where I've been looking at. Hope you have a good 2 weeks anyway.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by noodle
Oh right. I just wondered because most people seem to go to the Bayside area of Melbourne, which is where I've been looking at. Hope you have a good 2 weeks anyway.

Thanks.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:51 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Geelong doesn't have the best reputation. It's largely an industrial town that sometimes suffers from being viewed as a less-than-lovely annexe to Melbourne.

That said, I spent two of the happiest weeks of my life in Geelong when visiting a friend who lived there. I remember everyone being really friendly - chatting to total strangers quite happily. We left all our worldly goods (backpacks etc) on the street for an hour and nothing vanished (or got destroyed by a bomb disposal squad). We had some blinding nights out and generally had a great time.

Geelong has pretty much everything you need in terms of shops, facilities etc. It might not be the prettiest place, but there are prettier places nearby.

Since you aren't planning to settle there, I don't think you'll have any problems with Geelong.

My friend still has family there (she lives in Melbourne now) and I can find out more about it if you have specific questions...
Old Oct 14th 2003, 11:03 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

My perception is that Geelong is often looked down on by those who live in Melbourne ... but as someone who lives in Geelong I don't see why. We're 45 minutes to an hour (outside the rush hour) from the sport, theatre, etc in Melbourne, 15 to 20 minutes from the Surf Coast beaches, and the real estate prices are very reasonable too, even if you live in an area like Newtown, Highton, etc.

If you want more info, have a look here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=108456

Best regards.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for your comments/advice. It is very helpful.