Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

G'day (at last!) from a very sunny Brisbane

G'day (at last!) from a very sunny Brisbane

Old Sep 7th 2003, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Doreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool G'day (at last!) from a very sunny Brisbane

Hi everyone! Just touching base at last - hopefully this creaky laptop will keep going until our stuff arrives! We are now settled in Queensland about 1hr 45mins outside of Brissy at Moffat Beach, Caloundra. We arrived in Oz in July, staying a week at my mums in NSW then drove up to QLD. Lots to tell re experiences but will have to try and make it consise in the next email. Had many ups and a few downs but we love it. Yes, there are problems here just as they are any where else and even though Pommie Bastard and co moaned a lot, many of the things they said were realistic and helpful. Have bought a car, done all the registering stuff, twice! Now have bought a house - thats an experience! House market up here is mad, prices are rocketing and there are more buyers than sellers so be aware.

Thanks to all the folks who wished us luck, apologies for not getting to you sooner but its been very hectic with a trip back to the UK in August to finalise the house and shipping of our goods - phew! Apologies to Thom too, sorry to hear about your mum hope things have improved for you, will contact soon.

How are all you other guys doing in Brissy? Would love to hear from you.

Will write in more detail - if anyone is interested!!!

Keep smilling its worth the hassles getting here..

Doreen and Malc
Old Sep 7th 2003, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great to hear from you- please post more soon!

How do you find Moffat Beach and Caloundra? These are the areas we are hoping to settle in. They looked great when we visited, but it would be good to hear a report from you actually living there.

I have been trying to find out the actual costs involved in buying a home. Apart from the actual price of the house, could you tell me what else you have to pay and a guide price? I know there is stamp duty, solicitors etc, but have not been able to find out how much.

I have been checking the weather and it looks like Spring is coming in Brissie! About 22- 26 deg this week - lucky thing! It has turned cold over here now, I have had to get my cardis out!!

Enjoy your new adventure.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the Sunshine Coast, was it you who bought the 2.5 million beachfront shack down there?? (only joking) but property is a bit wild here isn't it, like UK in the late 90's.

Looks like we are heading for stinker of a summer. 29 degrees today and its only 5 days into spring!

If you need any local info send me a PM.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

The Jacksons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey

We are not far up the caost from you - in fact we spent Thursday night in Caloundra hospital!!
We are near Buderim - Kiels Mountain.
I`ll send you an email sometime soon.
Sarah
Old Sep 7th 2003, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Keep posting guys, Lots of new arrivals end up on the Sun Coast
will be interesting to hear your thoughts.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 8:41 pm
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

We're heading for caloundra/buderim area in just over three weeks. I've got 2 more weeks of work, flights are booked and things are beginning to disappear from our house. I can't sleep, I can't concentrate on anything. I'm flapping like a junior doctor on speed. Hope I'm not the only one who feels like this!

Andy

Originally posted by dotty
Keep posting guys, Lots of new arrivals end up on the Sun Coast
will be interesting to hear your thoughts.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Andy_Hanrahan
Hi everyone

We're heading for caloundra/buderim area in just over three weeks. I've got 2 more weeks of work, flights are booked and things are beginning to disappear from our house. I can't sleep, I can't concentrate on anything. I'm flapping like a junior doctor on speed. Hope I'm not the only one who feels like this!

Andy
Bloody hell Andy, Buderim is snooty you cant do buderim in those Shorts and flip flops. :scared: Just think we could be neighbours
Old Sep 8th 2003, 11:57 am
Crocodile Member

Well Dotty if Buderim is snooty, it's about time someone like me came along to bring the tone down a bit. You see if I hang around for long enough in the flip flops and the sweaty singlet, maybe the house prices will drop and I can snap up a bargain. Sell your house now.....while you still can!

Andy

Originally posted by dotty
Bloody hell Andy, Buderim is snooty you cant do buderim in those Shorts and flip flops. :scared: Just think we could be neighbours
Old Sep 8th 2003, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hey you guys - spooky or what - we've just bought a house in Buderim - ooer Dotty maybe we are neighbours? We decided not to go for the 2.5 million shack thought we wouldn't be too snotty! (Joke!)

Dont worry Andy flip flops are fine by us!! Currently renting in Moffat Beach until the stuff arrives so now know Caloundra quite well. What sort of things do you want to know?

Hey Sarah, as we will be moving to Buderim it would be great to make contact sometime? Drop us a line and let us know - will check out where Kiels mountain is!

In haste - batteries low - computer not mine!

Keep smiling

Doreen and Malc
Old Sep 8th 2003, 2:15 pm
Crocodile Member

Default Re: G'day (at last!) from a very sunny Brisbane

Doreen, very interested that you are in the Caloundra area We will be there around 10 October (going to sydney first). Any idea what the rental situation is like? We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom house to rent, with a pool if possible. We have e-mailed a few agents and they are on the lookout for us, but they are not very forthcoming till you're there. Also, have you looked into getting work. I'm hoping not to have to commute to Bris, but I know employment in those parts is not great

Andy

Originally posted by Doreen
Hi everyone! Just touching base at last - hopefully this creaky laptop will keep going until our stuff arrives! We are now settled in Queensland about 1hr 45mins outside of Brissy at Moffat Beach, Caloundra. We arrived in Oz in July, staying a week at my mums in NSW then drove up to QLD. Lots to tell re experiences but will have to try and make it consise in the next email. Had many ups and a few downs but we love it. Yes, there are problems here just as they are any where else and even though Pommie Bastard and co moaned a lot, many of the things they said were realistic and helpful. Have bought a car, done all the registering stuff, twice! Now have bought a house - thats an experience! House market up here is mad, prices are rocketing and there are more buyers than sellers so be aware.

Thanks to all the folks who wished us luck, apologies for not getting to you sooner but its been very hectic with a trip back to the UK in August to finalise the house and shipping of our goods - phew! Apologies to Thom too, sorry to hear about your mum hope things have improved for you, will contact soon.

Doreen and Malc
Old Sep 11th 2003, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Cool

Hi Andy

It depends on whether you want furnished or none furnished. There are lots of unfurnished houses, 3-4 bed (some with pool) for rent, they tend to be on a 6months minimum or 1yr rental. Prices are around 245dollars upwards, an average 3-4 bed in a good area i.e. not far from the sea is around 275-300 dollars per week. We rented a unit 2 bed, 2 bathrooms overlooking the Pacific for 275 per week fully furnished. We found it was difficult to find a fully furnished place to rent for less than 6 mths but still we found one and since we have found better and cheaper ones (aargh!) some agents are rogues! Mary Henzell seems to be a good renting agent - we are with Professionals and I wouldnt recommend them. The place is ok but it needed a good clean and they failed to tell us a number of things. You will have to give a bond upfront and 2 weeks rent in advance. Unfurnished places are no probs re good value for money.

Re work we are here on a 456ie business visa and are in the process of buying a business at present (scary stuff!) What are your skills? Tourism is big, lots of small businesses, plenty of employment in the food industries. I could probably give you a better steer if you could let me know what area you are looking at.

Will try and get some websites for you to look at re renting.

Keep smiling

Doreen

Hey the Jacksons, so where are you???? What were you doing at Caloundra hospital (or shouldn't I ask?) Hope everything is ok?

Maybe we might meet up for a drink sometime??
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:27 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by The Jacksons
Hey

We are not far up the caost from you - in fact we spent Thursday night in Caloundra hospital!!
We are near Buderim - Kiels Mountain.
I`ll send you an email sometime soon.
Sarah

Oooh - hope everything is OK. Looking forward to hearing about your time there so far.

V
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

sounds great. Travelling through brissy on our way to Melb, keep posting for all those of us who are really excited at the mo and good luck
Old Sep 11th 2003, 12:24 pm
Crocodile Member

Hi Doreen, thanx for the info. I work as an IT trainer in London and I've assumed I would have to commute to Bris for work, but going to Oz is not a career move for me and I'm not too bothered about what I do as long as it's not labouring! I would love to work locally if I can, so even if that means mowing lawns I'll do it!

We plan to try and rent a house as quickly as possible. I know there are virtually no furnished places so we'll just pick up some second hand furniture when we get there. We are not taking that much with us.

Regards

Andy

Originally posted by Doreen

Doreen and Malc
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Andy_Hanrahan
Hi Doreen, thanx for the info. I work as an IT trainer in London and I've assumed I would have to commute to Bris for work, but going to Oz is not a career move for me and I'm not too bothered about what I do as long as it's not labouring! I would love to work locally if I can, so even if that means mowing lawns I'll do it!

We plan to try and rent a house as quickly as possible. I know there are virtually no furnished places so we'll just pick up some second hand furniture when we get there. We are not taking that much with us.

Regards

Andy
If I can jump in here.
There is a thread earlier about someone who said take as much as you can, They found things so much expensive they they thought and looking for stuff was just another hassle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.