Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gday everyone from down under

Gday everyone from down under

Old Jan 30th 2003, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

wannabee sheila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gday everyone from down under

Wheres all the old crew, baldy,tipper, abergas, Mickey etc . Have you all emigrated?

Well we finally made it to Australia and have settled on the sunshine coast. Paul got work quickly, admittedly not what he wanted to do but its paying work, Jason has settled into school and we move into our own house next month. So far its been everything we had dreamed of. Sunshine ( i havent put a jumper or jeans on since we left the uk in Nov), friendly people that go out of their way to help, cheaper houses, cheaper meat and veggies, cheaper to eat out at good restaurants, fantastic beaches, beautiful wildlife and scenery, great playgrounds and child friendly places, great school, clean streets, nice shops and free internet at the library. Xmas was spent on the beach with a picnic and of course we had prawns for tea. The weather has been excellent 28-30 most days, with just one stinking hot 39 day. Which wasnt a problem as the car and shops are air conditioned. Our house isnt though and so far we havent needed it to be, Ceiling fans work fine.

Anyway Id love to hear from anyone out there for a chat , to catch up with you all or If I can answer any questions from those still waiting.

Good luck and remember
You'll never ever know if you never ever go
Karen
Old Jan 31st 2003, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh No - you are saying that the summer weather in Brisbane is normal. Just wait - you'll have a certain expat who now lives nr. Brisbane refuting your claims trying to claim that the average Brisbane summer lasts 9 months with a average of 40+ centigrade.

Now everybody duck.
MM.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 3:31 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by madmancunian
Oh No - you are saying that the summer weather in Brisbane is normal. Just wait - you'll have a certain expat who now lives nr. Brisbane refuting your claims trying to claim that the average Brisbane summer lasts 9 months with a average of 40+ centigrade.

Now everybody duck.
MM.

since I've been living in Brisbane (5 years), this is the coolest summer I've had to date here... for the past five years (excluding this one) Brisbane usually gets a couple of weeks which reach well into the 40's, this normally happens around feb. Most people in Brisbane can tell you this. It's been pretty cool this year, very dry ... but cool(we need rain). The past couple of weeks have been the warmest so far this summer, but still not the searing heat like we've been getting for the past few years. we've had it good this year.

Anyone read the free local paper here (quest papers/Herald) ? for the Redcliffe area. there's a story (with pics of a snake catcher and snake) in it this week with the snakes beeing caught in peoples gardens due to the dry weather... one swallowed a possum. The snakes are coming into peoples back yards in search of water. One was in someones kitchen cupboard!

cheers
Old Jan 31st 2003, 3:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gday everyone from down under

Originally posted by wannabee sheila
Wheres all the old crew, baldy,tipper, abergas, Mickey etc . Have you all emigrated?

Well we finally made it to Australia and have settled on the sunshine coast. Paul got work quickly, admittedly not what he wanted to do but its paying work, Jason has settled into school and we move into our own house next month. So far its been everything we had dreamed of. Sunshine ( i havent put a jumper or jeans on since we left the uk in Nov), friendly people that go out of their way to help, cheaper houses, cheaper meat and veggies, cheaper to eat out at good restaurants, fantastic beaches, beautiful wildlife and scenery, great playgrounds and child friendly places, great school, clean streets, nice shops and free internet at the library. Xmas was spent on the beach with a picnic and of course we had prawns for tea. The weather has been excellent 28-30 most days, with just one stinking hot 39 day. Which wasnt a problem as the car and shops are air conditioned. Our house isnt though and so far we havent needed it to be, Ceiling fans work fine.

Anyway Id love to hear from anyone out there for a chat , to catch up with you all or If I can answer any questions from those still waiting.

Good luck and remember
Karen

It sounds GREAT, well done. I bet it makes all the stress and hassle worthwhile.

4 weeks to go ........

Dan
Old Jan 31st 2003, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ceri
since I've been living in Brisbane (5 years), this is the coolest summer I've had to date here... for the past five years (excluding this one) Brisbane usually gets a couple of weeks which reach well into the 40's, this normally happens around feb. Most people in Brisbane can tell you this. It's been pretty cool this year, very dry ... but cool(we need rain). The past couple of weeks have been the warmest so far this summer, but still not the searing heat like we've been getting for the past few years. we've had it good this year.
cheers
I'm not sure where you get the readings from but I've lived in Brisbane for 4 years and for only 1 of the past 4 years has consistently stayed above 40 for a few days (in Jan)- and that was three years ago. It has in the last 2 years got to high 30s (last year in was in end Dec/early Jan). All hot - but even 1 or 2 degrees centigrade can turn things up from just bearable to unbearably hot. But this is only for a short time - then it drops to the low 30s. If anyone thinks 3 months in the low 30s is too hot - Brisbane is not the place for you. AirCon and/or a pool is must.

AndyH.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Hi Wannabee sheila

We are still here in the uk. Our application was transfered to Adelaide, we had a letter at the beginnin of January to pay our $100,000 in to a government bond, which is all done, we are just waiting to hear from Adelaide again!

so glad you have settled down, did you know know anybody ie family or friends where you are? We only know one friend in Perth, but hopefully people we have been acquainted on this newsgroup will become our friends!!!

Our house is up for sale now, hopefully it won't take too long to sell.

gotta go and get ready for work, good to hear from you
c-ya Yve and Dave
Old Jan 31st 2003, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya, great to hear you are having a good time. Can't wait to be there too and liker Jocney and Icy the wait is getting us down, but hoping it will be resolved soon. Adelaide July we hope.
Cheers
Mash...

Originally posted by wannabee sheila

Good luck and remember
Karen
Old Jan 31st 2003, 10:49 am
plucka

Anyone read the free local paper here (quest papers/Herald) ? for the Redcliffe area. there's a story (with pics of a snake catcher and snake) in it this week with the snakes beeing caught in peoples gardens due to the dry weather... one swallowed a possum. The snakes are coming into peoples back yards in search of water. One was in someones kitchen cupboard!

cheers
I suggest you buy a new thermometer or learn how not to so wildly exagerate. I lived in Brisbane most of my life and could count on 1 hand the number of days its gotten above 40. In fact anything over 35 is very rare so stop sprouting your crap.

Old Jan 31st 2003, 11:06 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by jah4reds
I'm not sure where you get the readings from but I've lived in Brisbane for 4 years and for only 1 of the past 4 years has consistently stayed above 40 for a few days (in Jan)- and that was three years ago. It has in the last 2 years got to high 30s (last year in was in end Dec/early Jan). All hot - but even 1 or 2 degrees centigrade can turn things up from just bearable to unbearably hot. But this is only for a short time - then it drops to the low 30s. If anyone thinks 3 months in the low 30s is too hot - Brisbane is not the place for you. AirCon and/or a pool is must.

AndyH.
Don't tell me that this summer is not the coolest you've experienced here, it's unusually cool for this year compared to the last five years, it's the coolest I've had it for five years here in Brissie .. I can't comment before that time the year prior I was in NSW.

5th feb 00, is the exact date I bought my aircon... which on that day reached about 45/46 c (I have dug out my old receipt.) it was feb.

Usually /generally feb is one of the warmest months, that's not to say that it may peak for a week in December etc (which it has done some years)every year for a couple of weeks it has reached into the 40's here.

This year we have not had it for some reason., this has been the coolest summer I've had in the past five years

you are barking up the wrong tree if you seem to think I don't like heat for some reason. I find Brisbane comfortable in heat (besides the winters which I personally do find cold). I had to adjust to living in Aus having come from a warmer all year round , more humid climate than Brisbane ( prior to Aus, I had been living and working in S.E.A)

cheers
Old Jan 31st 2003, 11:15 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by plucka
I suggest you buy a new thermometer or learn how not to so wildly exagerate. I lived in Brisbane most of my life and could count on 1 hand the number of days its gotten above 40. In fact anything over 35 is very rare so stop sprouting your crap.
I don't appreciate the foul mouth, what temp was it here yesterday eh? 36 where I am (oh there's one to count on your hand , I assume you need your fingers to count)... every year it reaches into the 40's at one point, it peaks, it hasn't happened this year for some reason, like I was saying this is the coolest summer I've had here.

If you can't be civil and watch your foul mouth, don't bother to address me, and in future I will give you the same type of curtsey that you have just given me .

With very tolerant regards

Ceri.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 11:26 am
plucka

I don't appreciate the foul mouth, what temp was it here yesterday eh? 36 where I am (oh there's one to count on your hand , I assume you need your fingers to count)... every year it reaches into the 40's at one point, it peaks, it hasn't happened this year for some reason, like I was saying this is the coolest summer I've had here.

If you can't be civil and watch your foul mouth, don't bother to address me, and in future I will not give you the same type of curtsey that you have just given me .

With very tolerant regards

Ceri.
36 you say. Looks like your maths is as bad as your exagerations. I said I could count on my hand the days it was over 40. Last time I checked 36 is less than 40 so what are you on about?

Again you lie, every year DOES NOT reach into the 40's. I've spent 28 years in Brisbane so I think I am more qualified than you on the subject. Again I ask you are where you get these figures from? Perhaps you bought your pommy thermometer over with you which doesn't register any temp over 25 degrees correctly.

Anyway I suggest you get your facts right before posting. I can easily supply a link with Brisbane's historical max temps if you want to be embarressed any further.

Old Jan 31st 2003, 12:18 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

36 you say. Looks like your maths is as bad as your exagerations. I said I could count on my hand the days it was over 40. Last time I checked 36 is less than 40 so what are you on about?

Again you lie, every year DOES NOT reach into the 40's. I've spent 28 years in Brisbane so I think I am more qualified than you on the subject. Again I ask you are where you get these figures from? Perhaps you bought your pommy thermometer over with you which doesn't register any temp over 25 degrees correctly.

Anyway I suggest you get your facts right before posting. I can easily supply a link with Brisbane's historical max temps if you want to be embarressed any further.

You should learn to read posts properly, and not to attack first..

I can also give you a link want it? http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/national/charts/ ( I have these links in my favourites as I do a lot of boating in the Bay)

I notice you've been in London for the past 4 years... well sorry to tell you in those years you've been away BAR THIS YEAR... there have been days in the past five years which reach into the 40's... learn to read posts correctly will you please without getting onto your high horse, my god what is wrong with you????? You’re not very stable are you? And as for calling me a pomme, lol... You as an Australian are more English than I can ever, ever be., so go and pick on someone else with your racist intolerant attitude! There’s a phrase for your type of attitude " dim gwerth rhech dafad"

And no I will and can never be " embarressed " - the word is "embarrassed ... "sigh" ... It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad!

I do not appreciate your unprovoked, illiterate, foul-mouthed, racist garble.

Learn to read others posts correctly before shooting your mouth off.

cachu iar
Old Jan 31st 2003, 12:27 pm
plucka

You should learn to read posts properly, and not to attack first..

I can also give you a link want it? http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/national/charts/ ( I have these links in my favourites as I do a lot of boating in the Bay)

I notice you've been in London for the past 4 years... well sorry to tell you in those years you've been away BAR THIS YEAR... there have been days in the past five years which reach into the 40's... learn to read posts correctly will you please without getting onto your high horse, my god what is wrong with you????? You’re not very stable are you? And as for calling me a pomme, lol... You as an Australian are more English than I can ever, ever be., so go and pick on someone else with your racist intolerant attitude! There’s a phrase for your type of attitude " dim gwerth rhech dafad"

And no I will and can never be " embarressed " - the word is "embarrassed ... "sigh" ... It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad!

I do not appreciate your unprovoked, illiterate, foul-mouthed, racist garble.

Learn to read others posts correctly before shooting your mouth off.

cachu iar
I knew it was only a matter of time before you went off your rocker and started another rant as I've seen you do before. I give up trying to tell you that you are wrong about the temps, there's only so much you can try and teach a donkey, and a Welsh one at that.

Old Jan 31st 2003, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Don't tell me that this summer is not the coolest you've experienced here, it's unusually cool for this year compared to the last five years, it's the coolest I've had it for five years here in Brissie .. I can't comment before that time the year prior I was in NSW.

5th feb 00, is the exact date I bought my aircon... which on that day reached about 45/46 c (I have dug out my old receipt.) it was feb.

Usually /generally feb is one of the warmest months, that's not to say that it may peak for a week in December etc (which it has done some years)every year for a couple of weeks it has reached into the 40's here.

This year we have not had it for some reason., this has been the coolest summer I've had in the past five years

you are barking up the wrong tree if you seem to think I don't like heat for some reason. I find Brisbane comfortable in heat (besides the winters which I personally do find cold). I had to adjust to living in Aus having come from a warmer all year round , more humid climate than Brisbane ( prior to Aus, I had been living and working in S.E.A)

cheers
Now you are being slightly more precise - yes this year is cooler but feels no cooler than 1999. Ok maybe the 40+ heat wave was in Feb 00 (as I said '3 years ago') - but it has not been a couple of weeks every year where the temperature hovers over 40. And where did you take that reading of 45/6? I lived in a top floor flat where the temperature was about 5 C than outside and it reached a maximum of 47 in that flat. To me February is not the hottest month January usaually is - last year it was late Dec early Jan.

And before you go flying off the handle about your foreign experience I have lived 16 years in the tropics before living in the UK and then Aus so it makes your time in Singapore look like a brief holiday. You shouldn't always assume you know more or have more experience inliving in hot places than others on this forum.

AndyH
Old Jan 31st 2003, 12:50 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

I knew it was only a matter of time before you went off your rocker and started another rant as I've seen you do before. I give up trying to tell you that you are wrong about the temps, there's only so much you can try and teach a donkey, and a Welsh one at that.
Before you and even try to insult me, I suggest you read my posts correctly, every year, in the past 5 years, we have weather which has reached into the 40's BAR THIS YEAR!. Are you stupid or what?And before you even try to attack me, I suggest you learn to spell the word embarrassed correctly. And before you even open your racist foul mouth again, I suggest you say that to a welsh persons face and see where it lands you.

Racist , ignorant idiot!

you're not worth responding to again , you have a foul, racist , mouth.

Last edited by Ceri; Jan 31st 2003 at 1:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.