Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

G'day! Emigrating to Perth help me!

G'day! Emigrating to Perth help me!

Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:06 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute
Talking G'day! Emigrating to Perth help me!

Hi my family and I are emigrating to Perth on a sponsored work visa. We should be good to go around June this year. Any information gratefully received relating to cost of living, taxes, house buying, renting, travel, local information, education and childcare!
I know, I dont want much do I?
I am so looking forward to our new life I cant tell you! I am all excited. I know it wont be plain sailing but I am still looking forward to it.
So would appreciate any help and HELLO!!!!
My son is 3 and my husband is an engineer. I have been sponsored as a nurse by the Royal Perth Hospital. If anyone has had any experience they think they need to share please do I am all ears.
Thanks again and look forward to hearing from you or even meeting you!Forgot to mention I will be moving to Rockingham-Secret Harbour for a while when I get out to Oz, staying with family.

Last edited by OzzieNurse; Jan 9th 2007 at 10:09 pm. Reason: forgot to mention something
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:02 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: G'day! Emigrating to Perth help me!

Originally Posted by Rachie241
Hi my family and I are emigrating to Perth on a sponsored work visa. We should be good to go around June this year. Any information gratefully received relating to cost of living, taxes, house buying, renting, travel, local information, education and childcare!
I am so looking forward to our new life I cant tell you! I am all excited. I know it wont be plain sailing but I am still looking forward to it.
My son is 3 and my husband is an engineer. I have been sponsored as a nurse by the Royal Perth Hospital. If anyone has had any experience they think they need to share please do I am all ears.
Thanks again and look forward to hearing from you or even meeting you!Forgot to mention I will be moving to Rockingham-Secret Harbour for a while when I get out to Oz, staying with family.
Congratulations on your job and welcome to BE. We have been here 18 months now on a sponsored visa, fire away with any questions either on the forum or by PM. I will try to answer as best I can.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:49 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!
Thanks for your reply. Anything you can offer in the way of information would be great as we know nothing lol
On a sponsored work visa do you get any tax relief or help with childcare? My son is 3 and will need to go to a day care facility while I am at work. I have heard this is quite expensive? But that some people qualify for discount?
Also medicare? I dont really understand it can you help?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

carolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nice

Hi there!
Thanks for your reply. Anything you can offer in the way of information would be great as we know nothing lol
On a sponsored work visa do you get any tax relief or help with childcare? My son is 3 and will need to go to a day care facility while I am at work. I have heard this is quite expensive? But that some people qualify for discount?
Hi

As far as I am aware, you cannot get any state benefits if you are on a 457 sponsored visa. We came on this in Oct 06 but have been sponsored for PR and hopefully will get it in the next few months.

You also have to get permanent health insurance as don't think Medicare would take you on. Depends again what type of cover you need. You can get ambulance cover for about $100 per year with add ons as necessary.

We are in Secret Harbour, so any questions about the area, fire away, and we will try to help. I am a nurse and will be working at Rockingham General, start in Feb.

Good luck.

Carol
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

carolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nice

Originally Posted by carolwilk34
Hi

As far as I am aware, you cannot get any state benefits if you are on a 457 sponsored visa. We came on this in Oct 06 but have been sponsored for PR and hopefully will get it in the next few months.

You also have to get permanent health insurance as don't think Medicare would take you on. Depends again what type of cover you need. You can get ambulance cover for about $100 per year with add ons as necessary.

We are in Secret Harbour, so any questions about the area, fire away, and we will try to help. I am a nurse and will be working at Rockingham General, start in Feb.

Good luck.

Carol
BTW daycare is about $55 per day and there are 2 in Secret Harbour, one just opened up.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:34 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Woo Hoo! We're in Secret Harbour - give us a PM when you're here and we'll get together!

We've got three kids and are over on a business visa, so if there's anything you need, give us a holler!

Jules x
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

chatty66 will become famous soon enoughchatty66 will become famous soon enough

Hello,congratulations to you and your family.. My family all live in perth and we are going for good in july 08cant give you much advice but just to say you will have a great life and hopefully we might be able to meet up when we come.. say hello to the rockingham dolphins for me!!.chatty66
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:36 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

BTW daycare is about $55 per day and there are 2 in Secret Harbour, one just opened up.
Hello to you too! How are you enjoying it here so far?

Jules x
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by julesandco
Hello to you too! How are you enjoying it here so far?

Jules x
Hi Jules

not sure if you are directing this question at me, but we hve been here since October and so far are enjoying it. My hubby is a nurse and based at Rockingham ED. I start there in 3 weeks. Kids haven't started school yet as the new one was still being built when we arrived and it seemed pointless to enrol them in the existing school for 3 weeks. Mind you, got a bit of cabin fever, as much as I love them!! Kids are 8 and 5

Where are you in Secret Harbour? Have you been here long?

Carol
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:05 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!
Carol in Secret Harbour is correct, no benefits at all for 457 holders.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:34 pm

Hi Jules

not sure if you are directing this question at me, but we hve been here since October and so far are enjoying it. My hubby is a nurse and based at Rockingham ED. I start there in 3 weeks. Kids haven't started school yet as the new one was still being built when we arrived and it seemed pointless to enrol them in the existing school for 3 weeks. Mind you, got a bit of cabin fever, as much as I love them!! Kids are 8 and 5

Where are you in Secret Harbour? Have you been here long?

Carol
Yep - you!!!

We've been here since December 05 and are 'fairly' settled. Our kids are at the old school (will be going into Year 1 and 4).

We're currently renting in Vila DO Porto, but we are building and buying (don't ask!). The local Estate Agent has a lot to answer for!

I've got a 9 year old boy and a 5 year old girl if these are any use as playmates!

Jules x
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by julesandco
Yep - you!!!

We've been here since December 05 and are 'fairly' settled. Our kids are at the old school (will be going into Year 1 and 4).

We're currently renting in Vila DO Porto, but we are building and buying (don't ask!). The local Estate Agent has a lot to answer for!

I've got a 9 year old boy and a 5 year old girl if these are any use as playmates!

Jules x
Hi Jules

Sounds like a long story, ha ha. We are renting across street from new primary. House still not sold in UK (although fingers crossed survey done yesterday).

I've got a 8 1/2 yr old boy and 5 year old girl. Maybe we could meet up for a play?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:51 pm
Here at last!

Hi Carol!
Thanks for the information. Hello and thanks to everyone else here that has said hello also. I have found it very hard to find information on hospitals in the area and if they do sponsorships the RPH is a long way out from where I will be staying initially so not ideal, but as I said found it hard to get information. We will be coming on a temp sponsored visa not sure what number it is? I can apply for permanency after 6 months though apparently?
I was told that I would get medicare as I was a UK citizen is this wrong? I would appreciate some info on Rockingham general especially if they do sponsorships? I havent got that far to reject the RPH offer.
Would be nice to meet up with anyone in the area with kids, can never have enough friends!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Carol!
Thanks for the information. Hello and thanks to everyone else here that has said hello also. I have found it very hard to find information on hospitals in the area and if they do sponsorships the RPH is a long way out from where I will be staying initially so not ideal, but as I said found it hard to get information. We will be coming on a temp sponsored visa not sure what number it is? I can apply for permanency after 6 months though apparently?
I was told that I would get medicare as I was a UK citizen is this wrong? I would appreciate some info on Rockingham general especially if they do sponsorships? I havent got that far to reject the RPH offer.
Would be nice to meet up with anyone in the area with kids, can never have enough friends!
Rachel

You have to be very careful which visa you come on. The hospital will sponsor you and it sounds like it will be a 457 (this is what we came on) but many people are wary as there are no benefits when you comeo n this visa. You can't get medicare unless you are a permanent resident so it is costly for permanent health insurance. Also, if things don't work out, you'd have to get another job and ask them to sponsor you for PR so that you could stay in the country.

As you have a year before you are coming, would it not be better to apply for PR and have your skills assessed by the ANMC?

Rockingham General is like a small cottage hospital so depends on what you are used to, few general and few surgical wards and maternity. I am doing the Grad Programme there as I only qualified last Sept.

Where will you be staying? PRI is about 50 mins/60 mins drive from Secret Harbour.

Don't want to put you off, but as you have time on your side, it might be best to go down the PR route.

Carol
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Rachel

You have to be very careful which visa you come on. The hospital will sponsor you and it sounds like it will be a 457 (this is what we came on) but many people are wary as there are no benefits when you comeo n this visa. You can't get medicare unless you are a permanent resident so it is costly for permanent health insurance. Also, if things don't work out, you'd have to get another job and ask them to sponsor you for PR so that you could stay in the country.

As you have a year before you are coming, would it not be better to apply for PR and have your skills assessed by the ANMC?

Rockingham General is like a small cottage hospital so depends on what you are used to, few general and few surgical wards and maternity. I am doing the Grad Programme there as I only qualified last Sept.

Where will you be staying? PRI is about 50 mins/60 mins drive from Secret Harbour.

Don't want to put you off, but as you have time on your side, it might be best to go down the PR route.

Carol
you do get medicare due to a reciprical agreement with the UK. So temp visa holders can get a medicare card but it does state 'emergencys only'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.