Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Garretts have landed

The Garretts have landed

Old Oct 24th 2003, 9:49 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Garretts have landed

Hi just a short note to say that the Garrett family have now landed in Perth. The weather is good (windy at times).

We are staying in woodside point holiday park which is in a nature reserve off the Cockburn road down from Freo. It is very beautiful and our chalet is set amongst trees and the wildlife is abundant.

The kids help resuce a blue tongued lizard out of the pool, it was huge (Welll at least 15 inches and fat which seemed huge to us)

Been to Kings Park today. Cycled round and took the kids to some really amazing play areas.

We are thinking of driving to Melbourne (The thought of getting on another plane in the next mellenium is awful) as the experience will be great.

Anyone got any tips on this journey apart from the fact that the Nullabor will be boring?
Old Oct 24th 2003, 9:52 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, glad that you all got there ok & seem to be still in one piece .

Janeyry asked about driving from WA to east coast just a couple of days ago, do a search, I think there were a few good comments & tips
Old Oct 24th 2003, 9:52 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Garretts have landed

Originally posted by HUP
Hi just a short note to say that the Garrett family have now landed in Perth. The weather is good (windy at times).

We are staying in woodside point holiday park which is in a nature reserve off the Cockburn road down from Freo. It is very beautiful and our chalet is set amongst trees and the wildlife is abundant.

The kids help resuce a blue tongued lizard out of the pool, it was huge (Welll at least 15 inches and fat which seemed huge to us)

Been to Kings Park today. Cycled round and took the kids to some really amazing play areas.

We are thinking of driving to Melbourne (The thought of getting on another plane in the next mellenium is awful) as the experience will be great.

Anyone got any tips on this journey apart from the fact that the Nullabor will be boring?
This should help

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=186125

Thing that MUST be stressed....Take your time, don't drive at night, fuel up whenever you can and DO NOT EVER drive if you are feeling tired.

Have fun

And glad to hear you arrived safe and sound.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 9:53 am
WBB

great to hear you are finally there.

i dont have any tips for your journey but i know what you mean about the flight to oz keep us updated.

Old Oct 24th 2003, 9:54 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshboybilly
great to hear you are finally there.

i dont have any tips for your journey but i know what you mean about the flight to oz keep us updated.

Have you not doneit before Billy?? 24hrs in a tin tube full of dry air is a living nightmare!!!
Old Oct 24th 2003, 9:54 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the one Pete .
Old Oct 24th 2003, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

You are there you lucky buggers, excuse me while i turn green with envy

Glad your enjoying the delights of WA, have a great time and chill out. You're going to drive to melbourne:scared: are you trying to out yourselves off cars too?

seriously though i'm sure it will be a great experience and just to really cheer you up, it was -1 this morning John had to scrape the car and he said the m40 was like a skating rink!!!want to come back yet?

Have a ball and keep making me jealous

Lynn
Old Oct 24th 2003, 10:02 am
WBB

Originally posted by PeteY
Have you not doneit before Billy?? 24hrs in a tin tube full of dry air is a living nightmare!!!

i have flown to oz twice, once via tokyo with a 5 hour "stopover" in the airport which wade the total journey from door to door around 48 hours. :scared: :scared:

the second time we had an overnight stop in singapore which im sure made things worse, the jet lag seemed to last a fortnight.

back then we did not have kids to wory about either (we now have 2) so im sure our next journey will be the worst yet....!

:scared:

Old Oct 24th 2003, 10:06 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
This should help

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=186125

Thing that MUST be stressed....Take your time, don't drive at night, fuel up whenever you can and DO NOT EVER drive if you are feeling tired.

Have fun

And glad to hear you arrived safe and sound.
blimey! see what i miss when going away for a few days!!!!

Thanks guys, think we'll go for it cos we will never be in this situation again, homeless, jobless, carless, schooless and keyless! Its quite liberating actually. And yes to everyone about to have a windge, i know we are still on holiday
Old Oct 24th 2003, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Glad to hear that you've arrived safely.

Don't hurry over to Melbourne yet, the weather is still mainly under 20 degrees and wet and the forecast is for rain until at least next Friday.

Fingers crossed that the sun will shine for the BBQ on the 2nd Nov.

See you all soon

Regards
Old Oct 24th 2003, 10:29 am
Badge

Good stuff Hevs and Hup
Yeah drive to Melborne - the Nullabor will be boring but you'll get all excited at the roadhouses.

And the drive thorugh SA could be fun.

Badge

Old Oct 24th 2003, 10:39 am
A Male Member

Ooooh yea theres a tip for you!

If you do the drive, when you get to Adelaide, don't drive the inland route to Melb, unless you need to knock a few hours off your journey.

Drive down the coast, the princes highway through Mount Gambier, and past the Coorong. Far nicer, and more interesting drive. You also get to go past this :

Old Oct 24th 2003, 10:47 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and also don't take the inland road to Norseman(WA).
Go around the coast mainly.
Like Bunbury, Busselton, Pemberton, Walpole, Denmark, Albany, Esperence.

And when on Great Australian Bight, try to get a road going to the coast, must be a nice few, even if you have to travel over corrugated dirt road to get there. (might be better now though)

Well, have fun, and good luck in Melbourne!

Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Glad to hear you have arrived safe and well. Hope you enjoy your new found freedom.

Safe travels

footie chick
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:25 pm
visa'd member oh yeah!

CROSSY is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to hear all is well, not at all envious........ok ok so i am
Keep us posted and have a great time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.