Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Garrat and HUP update!!!

Wikiposts

Garrat and HUP update!!!

Old Oct 10th 2003, 4:28 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by whisky
I suppose I did a bit once we had both calmed down a bit.
I think that last night, we both sat there a bit numb and resigned that there isn't a thing we can do about it all. They have got us by the short and curlys, and the only thing we could do, would be to tell the whole lot of them to stuff it, but that would just make the whole situation worse for us.
I woke at 3 0 clock this morning, and rang my Brother, who is expecting us there next weekend. He calmed me a bit, though he was very disapointed by our news.
We are worried about letting the furniture go on Mon/Tue incase the whole thing falls through, but if we don't, we will lose a deposit of £1,800. I think we will have to let it go and hope to god that a miracle happens this week.

I have thought that all the way along this, the worst feeling will be getting on that plane and realising there isn't a return ticket, but after the last few months with my cousins death and all this hassle, I shall be glad to be getting on that plane and sighing with relief that we are finall on our way.

Whisky
Taking off is like moving to the next chapter of ones life. It is only symbolic but it is definateley the clean break from the UK.

I remember one post about being underwhelmed by immigration in Australia. I am not sure what they were expecting but we just just a few of the 100,000 that emigrate there every year.

The hard part for us was getting work and finding a flat to live in. Living with the MIL was difficult.

Letting the furniture go is not a bad thing. At least that is one more thing off the list. I remember when we moved in here and all we had for furniture was a mattress. The table was a removals carton and the chairs were yellow pages. Not ideal but not impossible.

Chipped old crockery from the Wife's student days were all we had to use. A lot has changed in that last year.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Taking off is like moving to the next chapter of ones life. It is only symbolic but it is definateley the clean break from the UK.

I remember one post about being underwhelmed by immigration in Australia. I am not sure what they were expecting but we just just a few of the 100,000 that emigrate there every year.

The hard part for us was getting work and finding a flat to live in. Living with the MIL was difficult.

Letting the furniture go is not a bad thing. At least that is one more thing off the list. I remember when we moved in here and all we had for furniture was a mattress. The table was a removals carton and the chairs were yellow pages. Not ideal but not impossible.

Chipped old crockery from the Wife's student days were all we had to use. A lot has changed in that last year.
We will be staying with my Brother for a little while, but we don't have the hassle of finding a job. We are going to open a business and know that there will be hassles with that, but at least we will be our own boss.

Done the living with MIL bit. Wouldn't wish it upon anybody.

As soon as we know where the business is going to be, we will then look for somewhere to live.

Glad you are on here this morning - good to talk to someone when you feel like this. I am a lot less stressed now. Thanks Bondipom.

Whisky
Old Oct 10th 2003, 4:53 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

We will be staying with my Brother for a little while, but we don't have the hassle of finding a job. We are going to open a business and know that there will be hassles with that, but at least we will be our own boss.

Done the living with MIL bit. Wouldn't wish it upon anybody.

As soon as we know where the business is going to be, we will then look for somewhere to live.

Glad you are on here this morning - good to talk to someone when you feel like this. I am a lot less stressed now. Thanks Bondipom.

Whisky
Always glad to be of help.

With a business you have a lot more control over your life. If I come up with the right idea I will start a business here. I know one person who came up with a fantastic niche and loves it. He makes good money but that is only the half of it.

There is also Owieb who has set up a great life for himself in WA. He just surfs and kites whenever he wants and then goes back to his business when he wants.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the positive me.
Can't wait to get there and get on with it again now.

Right then, I had better go get myself a coffee and start getting the rest of the stuff ready for these removals on Monday.

I really do appreciate having this chat this morning and thanks again.

Whisky
Old Oct 10th 2003, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by cresta57
Just phoned our estate agent and told them that there is a problem and we have to be in Oz by the end of the month. Hope that this doesn't backfire but what the hell I'm sick and tired now of having to chase people to get anything done, I thought that was their job
what do you pay your agents over there in Canada (were I live anyway) i'ts 5-7% on the first 100 thousand then about 2-3 % on the remaining money.......
Old Oct 10th 2003, 9:01 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Wish i'd have logged on sooner, i can't sleep either, still waiting for firm exchange date for next week, packers in next mon tues:scared: theres so many of us going, will be strange us all posting from overthere!
Old Oct 10th 2003, 9:29 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Default Sleep oh yes remeber that ???

What on earth will i be like when i get to the same stage as usee lots.

Was watching this post develop at about 5am between whisky and bondipom, sad i know but i am nackered now ready for bed.

Keep going Hev youl soon be there
Old Oct 10th 2003, 10:29 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Hi Whisky just logged on - been cooking all morning for the goodbye party tomorrow.

We also should hev exchanged last week and according to my solicitor there is buckleys chance with the way the first time buyer is working to exchange next week.

If we are still working to the last couple of days in October completion we shall have to rush everything through at the last minute. As we have been ready for 3 weeks and the buyers haven't and it is them particularly who want completion on that day but have not complied with our requirement of early exchange I do feel like making them wait another week - then we can complete on the flat as well. But should we cancel the shippers who are booked for 29th and put them on a week or keep them and camp in an empty house?

I keep looking at the garden and thinking I must get out or I have to sweep the leaves and etc to keep it looking good and I did not want to be here now.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by yafm
Hi Whisky just logged on - been cooking all morning for the goodbye party tomorrow.

We also should hev exchanged last week and according to my solicitor there is buckleys chance with the way the first time buyer is working to exchange next week.

If we are still working to the last couple of days in October completion we shall have to rush everything through at the last minute. As we have been ready for 3 weeks and the buyers haven't and it is them particularly who want completion on that day but have not complied with our requirement of early exchange I do feel like making them wait another week - then we can complete on the flat as well. But should we cancel the shippers who are booked for 29th and put them on a week or keep them and camp in an empty house?

I keep looking at the garden and thinking I must get out or I have to sweep the leaves and etc to keep it looking good and I did not want to be here now.
We have had the same dilemma after wanting to commit harry carry with everyone that is included in this house sale. If we were just moving and not in the throws of emigrating, I would have told them all to stick this sale where the sun don't shine. But because as you know, everything has to be timed and at the right moment, we have little choice but depend on the tw**ts they call buyers, Estate agents and solicitors of the buyers.

After calming down a little since yesterday (knowing that sod all will be done till after the weekend) we have decided that we will let the furniture go, and camp out in the house with a kettle, toaster, 3 quilts and 3 old pillows, and of course, our suitcases ready for the flight. I will just wear some tatty old clothes whilst sat here in my empty house.

If I were you, so long as you know that it will be about that time, I would let the furniture go, as when we spoke to them last, they were very busy and were having trouble getting us in.

Good luck, we all need it at the moment.

Whisky
Old Oct 11th 2003, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

After yeserdays performance between all the other buyers, I say 'Stuff the leaves' they can do it.

Whisky
Old Oct 11th 2003, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by h garrett
Wish i'd have logged on sooner, i can't sleep either, still waiting for firm exchange date for next week, packers in next mon tues:scared: theres so many of us going, will be strange us all posting from overthere!

When we were posting on here this morning, I kept thinking you will go mad when you read this and your thread has changed completely.
You should have joined us. It made me feel a whole lot better. Glad Bondipom was on here, felt much better after having a good old moan.
I was actually in the middle of a PM to you yesterday, to wish you luck. Then in the middle of it we had a phone call from the Estate agent and all hell let loose, so had to come out of it in a fit of rage. I actually watched my husbands blood pressure raise right in front of my eyes. Thought a gasget was going to blow.

Anyway - Good luck - Hope the packing goes okay.

Lets make sure that we all get back onto expats and let everyone know how things are going.

Whisky
Old Oct 11th 2003, 7:25 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default melbourne to the north

Hi H.G. If you use the Hume Highway do stop at Glenrowen the Ned Kelly show is great not quite Disney but the next best thing. Forget the big wormery its not worth the visit.Dont forget to keep your petrol tank topped up if you use the back roads its a long way sometimes between petrol stations. good luck we will be hot on your heels. Colin" The old plumber" PS kangeroo spotting is always good fun for the kids and they do tend to jump out on you.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 8:23 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jeannie
what do you pay your agents over there in Canada (were I live anyway) i'ts 5-7% on the first 100 thousand then about 2-3 % on the remaining money.......
Property is relatively cheap in comparison to the rest of the UK here in Lincolnshire. We are paying our agents just over £1K inclusive of solicitors fees.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:04 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

When we were posting on here this morning, I kept thinking you will go mad when you read this and your thread has changed completely.
I was actually in the middle of a PM to you yesterday, to wish you luck. Then in the middle of it we had a phone call from the Estate agent and all hell let loose, so had to come out of it in a fit of rage. I actually watched my husbands blood pressure raise right in front of my eyes. Thought a gasget was going to blow.

Anyway - Good luck - Hope the packing goes okay.

Lets make sure that we all get back onto expats and let everyone know how things are going.

Whisky
Thanks whiskey!
Have had my first tears today with my foster brother, don't say goodbye till friday thoguh, i thought i was the only odd one on here who wasn't balling! teach me to speak too soon
We must all get back on here ASAP and let each other know our news!!
Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:06 am
High in the Dandenongs

Default Re: melbourne to the north

Originally posted by yafm
Hi H.G. If you use the Hume Highway do stop at Glenrowen the Ned Kelly show is great not quite Disney but the next best thing. Forget the big wormery its not worth the visit.Dont forget to keep your petrol tank topped up if you use the back roads its a long way sometimes between petrol stations. good luck we will be hot on your heels. Colin" The old plumber" PS kangeroo spotting is always good fun for the kids and they do tend to jump out on you.
Thanks "you old plumber" and who says their unreliable!!??