Gardening In Oz

Old Jun 29th 2007, 12:58 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gardening In Oz

Ok, I like doing my garden in Scotland and want a garden when we get to Oz.
this may seem like a dumb question , am scared that if i do my garden in australia, will get bitten by a snake or a spider.

I realise its probably an irrational fear (cant stand spiders) should i worry??
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:00 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardening In Oz

Originally Posted by penky
this may seem like a dumb question , am scared that if i do my garden in australia, will get bitten by a snake or a spider.

YES!
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:02 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:09 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

only kidding. I know absolutely nothing about gardening...is Oz or anywhere else.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

You will be ok doing your garden, just make sure you wear some gloves.
I used to love doing my garden back in the UK, my hanging baskets were to die for!!! Here, it is just too hot to do the garden in the summer!!!
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:21 pm
Up Around the Bend

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
You will be ok doing your garden, just make sure you wear some gloves.
I used to love doing my garden back in the UK, my hanging baskets were to die for!!! Here, it is just too hot to do the garden in the summer!!!
thanks

but just to be clear, the reason your advising gloves.... is it because of snakes and spiders
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:22 pm
Up Around the Bend

hey sj
just noticed where your from!!
I got married in Kinross
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

but just to be clear, the reason your advising gloves.... is it because of snakes and spiders
yes gloves for naughty spiders & naughtier snakes.
Also, whereas u can go rummaging through overgrowth willy nilly in UK, you do have to be careful here.
Depending were you live too, whole waters an issue.
1 day, I was in my veg patch planting some seedlings, (hadnt been here that long), happy as larry I was, I saw this reptile skin not a foot away and nearly c****ed my pants to be blunt, it was only a blue tongue lizard. ( I stupidly thought it was a snake who'd mated/mutated with a lizard, how daft!)
A friend found a snake colied round her cabbage last year.
Snakes like piles of wood/piles of undergrowth for fires etc and so u do have to be careful.
Long as you're aware though...
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:36 pm
Up Around the Bend

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
yes gloves for naughty spiders & naughtier snakes.
Also, whereas u can go rummaging through overgrowth willy nilly in UK, you do have to be careful here.
Depending were you live too, whole waters an issue.
1 day, I was in my veg patch planting some seedlings, (hadnt been here that long), happy as larry I was, I saw this reptile skin not a foot away and nearly c****ed my pants to be blunt, it was only a blue tongue lizard. ( I stupidly thought it was a snake who'd mated/mutated with a lizard, how daft!)
A friend found a snake colied round her cabbage last year.
Snakes like piles of wood/piles of undergrowth for fires etc and so u do have to be careful.
Long as you're aware though...

maybe i'll just slab everywhere
have this picture in my head of me weeding away happily, reaching down into the weeds and then a huge huntsman spider or big snake jumping out at me. But again its an irrational fear,

I love the outdoors though so i guess i need to get over it!!
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

maybe i'll just slab everywhere
have this picture in my head of me weeding away happily, reaching down into the weeds and then a huge huntsman spider or big snake jumping out at me. But again its an irrational fear,

I love the outdoors though so i guess i need to get over it!!
I love gardening & the outdoors too.
I just make sure I stamp about alot (so they slither off), they hear the vibrations, and have a stick to poke about.
Huntsmen arent gdn spiders but theres redbacks, funnel webs etc. I used to be silly and garden without gloves sometimes, only as I'm petrified of snakes whereas I wasnt too worried by spiders.
You do get used to it but i really miss gardening in UK - too hot in summer here to pingle.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

forget snakes and spiders, it's the drop bears you have to watch out for
Old Jun 29th 2007, 5:33 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
I love gardening & the outdoors too.
I just make sure I stamp about alot (so they slither off), they hear the vibrations, and have a stick to poke about.
Huntsmen arent gdn spiders but theres redbacks, funnel webs etc. I used to be silly and garden without gloves sometimes, only as I'm petrified of snakes whereas I wasnt too worried by spiders.
You do get used to it but i really miss gardening in UK - too hot in summer here to pingle.
you should be developing a harmonious and loving relationship with everything around you... not stamping on things.....
Old Jun 29th 2007, 5:43 pm
Up Around the Bend

Originally Posted by Olias
forget snakes and spiders, it's the drop bears you have to watch out for
yes, just like in Scotland you should beware of the Haggis
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Buy some Irish peat from the gardening store, so. That should keep the snakes away! (to be sure)
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:18 pm
Up Around the Bend

[QUOTE=Stephen;4987052]Buy some Irish peat from the gardening store, so. That should keep the snakes away! (to be sure)[/QUOTE

why would irish peat keep the snakes away??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.