Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

garden is not a garden!!!

garden is not a garden!!!

Old Oct 23rd 2005, 5:53 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: garden is not a garden!!!

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I think what lucy was referring to is the fact that Aussies refer to the area out the back of their house as their backyard, not their garden. To an aussie, a "garden" is a gardenbed where you plant flowers/veges etc. If you asked an aussie to go & stand in their back garden you would probably find them standing in the backyard in the middle of the flower bed.

Well what with it being Sunday and all that, and I'm sure we are all just freshly back from church (or getting ready for evening service). May I ask what the f* Adam and Eve were doing in the Garden of Eden if it was just one huge flowerbed?

And where did Eve get that apple if there were no stupid apple trees in the garden.

So all you aussies go read your bible again, may I suggest starting at page one, book one, Genesis, chapter 1, and go figure what a garden is.

Cheers,
ADL
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 6:06 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Well what with it being Sunday and all that, and I'm sure we are all just freshly back from church (or getting ready for evening service). May I ask what the f* Adam and Eve were doing in the Garden of Eden if it was just one huge flowerbed?

And where did Eve get that apple if there were no stupid apple trees in the garden.

So all you aussies go read your bible again, may I suggest starting at page one, book one, Genesis, chapter 1, and go figure what a garden is.

Cheers,
ADL
Sorry, sorry, I just realised the flaw in my argument... I was quoting from a british bible. I just remembered a thread I did a while back about the new SMS Australian bible here

Obviously I haven't had a chance to read it yet But if it can refer to the Virgin Mary as:

a "pretty special Sheila"
I'm sure it has no problem referring to the "Backyard of Eden" either

Heres the story again
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ialibu
As stated "...and the ozzie girls said no theres no trees in gardens?! ugh! it will have to be a suburban garden!"

As said ozzie girl apparently doesn't know a hatstand from her harseole, I wouldn't be going out of my way to either make friends or influence her. Let her pursue her life of utter ignorant bliss
Don't be so agressive. So the trees grow in the backyards and the flowers grow in the gardens? Welcome to Australia.
Such an innocent comment should in no way suggest that she has problems identifying certain parts of her anatomy. I don't think that she is the ignorant party here - she is already teaching you things about Australia that you didn't know.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 12:51 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
Don't be so agressive. So the trees grow in the backyards and the flowers grow in the gardens? Welcome to Australia.
Such an innocent comment should in no way suggest that she has problems identifying certain parts of her anatomy. I don't think that she is the ignorant party here - she is already teaching you things about Australia that you didn't know.
Exactly Truxtrip!
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 3:22 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I always called it a garden and none of my Aussie friends said any differently. If someone said 'back yard' I'd also know what they meant.

word differences can sometimes be funny! I remember someone telling me a story of an Aussie guy going into shop in the UK and asking 'for the biggest pair of thongs they stocked' and being given a huuuuuge g-string!!! ROFL He had meant thongs as in flip flops!

Susan
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future
Talking Re: garden is not a garden!!!

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
The lemon tree is on steroids I've hacked it back by 3/4 and still I cant use all the lemons. Still have 12 litres of homemade lemonade to drink and the bloody thing is pumping lemons out by the dozen The locquots, avocados and peaches are a few weeks away from being fully ready but early results look like they're on steroids also. The Orange and tangerine trees are into their second fruiting of the year (Yum - fresh juice for brekkie - theres nothing like it) and the fig is looking promising. The 3 mango trees look like they are also on steroids and I need to learn how to make homemade wine cos the grapevines are going crazy.

And dont let me get started on the veggie garden

Anybody that says Perths sandy soil is no good hasnt seen my garden.

Fruit anyone ?
As I am a complete fruitaholic, I read your post with amazement. I am going to Perth and wondered which suburb you were in? Not sure what locqots are, please describe. I am only going to rent, as I am a lady on her own with not a lot of bucks, so hope that wherever I chose to live has at least some of the fruit trees you mention. Ah bliss, fresh fresh mangoes etc.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:15 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzannepatricia
As I am a complete fruitaholic, I read your post with amazement. I am going to Perth and wondered which suburb you were in? Not sure what locqots are, please describe. I am only going to rent, as I am a lady on her own with not a lot of bucks, so hope that wherever I chose to live has at least some of the fruit trees you mention. Ah bliss, fresh fresh mangoes etc.
loquots are a member of the rose family but look kind of like small yellow plums (have 3 -5 pips rather than a stone though). I first came across them when I worked in Taiwan. Good for fruit salad or stewed with a little sugar. Also makes very yummy jam. Only down side is that it is deciduous so leaf drop in autumn is a problem cos the loquat is quite close to the pool. Also I'm not sure how many I'll be able to harvest as the lorikeets seem to love them. The house we rented when we first got here also had a loquot tree and cos we were near Perth Zoo the lorikeets used to fly in every day and steal the fruit

Sending you a pm about the suburb.