Garage sales

Old Apr 17th 2005, 9:51 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Garage sales

A part of Australian culture.... Garage sales.

Well, we didn't really have them in The Netherlands, so it's Australian for me.

Drove about a 10km (radius?) around our house this morning, went to about 20 garage sales!!!
We were looking for wardrobes. Found one($60, sort of antique!), but they couldn't deliver, and we have a very small car and not even a tow thingy to attach a trailer too...

But, of course, came home with lots of other stuff. I'm not really an impulse buyer, Pascal on the other hand.......

A spanish guitar, one string missing, but otherwise good condition, $15 (Pascal was looking for one of these to add to his 'collection', so was very lucky!)

A electric keyboard, no adaptor, works on batteries, $5 We tried it with an old adaptor we had lying around, doesn't work. So might have to get batteries... Oh well, was only $5.

A dartboard, with the whole casing around it, $10. Good condition. And we've still got the arrow things ourselves.

And I got a hardcover, newish book for $2, 8 drinking glasses for $4 and a set of 6 plates for $5.

Oh, and a big plant for $5.

So, come on share with us what bargains you have got, or tips!

Here in Perth the Sunday Times is the best paper to look for addresses, and you'll see signs on the roads with balloons very often.
For car boot sales, Canning Vale Markets is good (Sunday till 2 pm) and Karrinyup(under the shopping centre, Sunday till 11.30am!).
These don't have much big furniture though, that's why next week we'll be at the garage sales again, and hope they can deliver(they often can, we got a big cupboard for the laundry when we moved in here, they delivered it a few days later. Whole thing was $60 I think. )

OMG, and the junk you come across sometimes....!!!! With cobwebs.....

Good stuff to though, saw a queen size 'Freedom' bed with matress(looked ok) for $200. Girl said it had cost $1800.

Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garage sales

Hi Simone
We've been to a few garage sales and bought 2 electric radiators ($20 each), Ikea lamp (can't remember), kids bench for the garden ($5?), cat scratching post ($5), 2 skate boards ($1 each), Flymo with spare metal blade (oooh $40). I have a terrible memory for prices so don't rely to heavily on my quotes there! Think we also bought a rake (I since broke it) a fan and a garden fork! They're well worth a snoop
I've looked at ebay and The Quokka, but you can't beat the convenience of buying something down the road!
ATB
Larissa
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:12 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi Simone
We've been to a few garage sales and bought 2 electric radiators ($20 each), Ikea lamp (can't remember), kids bench for the garden ($5?), cat scratching post ($5), 2 skate boards ($1 each), Flymo with spare metal blade (oooh $40). I have a terrible memory for prices so don't rely to heavily on my quotes there! Think we also bought a rake (I since broke it) a fan and a garden fork! They're well worth a snoop
I've looked at ebay and The Quokka, but you can't beat the convenience of buying something down the road!
ATB
Larissa
Oooh, good! But what's a Flymo?

You've reminded me though(with the 'blade' bit), next time we must keep our eyes open for a lawnmower! Geez, they're expensive to buy new!
And we really need one now with last weeks rain!!!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:17 am
Merlot

We used to hold our own once a year to clear our space and used to make a fair bit of extra $$$$

Mind those that come along with a $20 note then haggle you down from a price of $2 to $1

M

Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:16 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Ah, garage sales... we spent about 3 weekends in a row scouring garage sales listed in the Quokka. Got lots of nice decorative bits for the house, which make it a lot more "homey" -I'm talking about the kind of things that you'd never think to buy, but when they're on sale for 50c..!!! We've definitely picked up a few bargains... I love garage sales!

Unfortunately, I've officially banned my other half from garage sales... he tends to get a bit "overenthusiastic" and ends up buying all the junk!!!! (Although I can't say too much... we went to one garage sale & he bought a gas bottle for $3, which seeing as we didn't have a barbecue that ran off a gas bottle I was convinced would just end up sitting around cluttering up the house. The very next garage sale we got to had a really nice gas barbecue for sale for $30... all it needed was a gas bottle! I wasn't allowed to make any comments on his purchases after that).
Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:47 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by Merlot
We used to hold our own once a year to clear our space and used to make a fair bit of extra $$$$

Mind those that come along with a $20 note then haggle you down from a price of $2 to $1

M
Mmm. haggling.... don't like it(or well, can't do it!!)
So it's annoying if prices aren't written on stuff!!

Though... the wardrobe today had a sticker: $75 ONO. And I said $60, and he said yes! So mmm, maybe I can do it!

lol at the BBQ Sarah!!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 4:23 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Simone
Mmm. haggling.... don't like it(or well, can't do it!!)
So it's annoying if prices aren't written on stuff!!

Though... the wardrobe today had a sticker: $75 ONO. And I said $60, and he said yes! So mmm, maybe I can do it!

lol at the BBQ Sarah!!
I was one of those boring sellers that priced everything which actually helps in times of rush as you have a price to start with.

The prices are always highly inflated for bartering purposes.

There are a LOT of Garage Sale Junkies that are out every saturday morning, they are experts in banging the price lower than you thought possible.

M

Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:18 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by Merlot
I was one of those boring sellers that priced everything which actually helps in times of rush as you have a price to start with.

The prices are always highly inflated for bartering purposes.

There are a LOT of Garage Sale Junkies that are out every saturday morning, they are experts in banging the price lower than you thought possible.

M
Yes, will have to get into that more! But I thought the prizes we payed were already quite good