Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Galway to Gold Coast - reality starting to hit!

Galway to Gold Coast - reality starting to hit!

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Galway to Gold Coast - reality starting to hit!

All these thoughts were going around in my head at 3 o'clock this morning (as they do!) I'm not going through the "last-minute doubts" stage - we as sure as we can be that we're doing the right thing. I just think that the reality of all that we have ahead of us is just starting to hit home. We got our precious visa grant last month (2nd attempt and, therefore, almost two years of waiting for this) and have been busy doing all the usual things - putting house on the market, sorting through the mountain of info for dog, getting dog permit, quotes from movers - as most of you know, the list is endless. Came home from work yesterday to a letter from ANZ with our new bank account number and branch address (Surfer's Paradise ). Our dog carrier was delivered also. The Estate Agent rang with an offer above the asking price for our house (he's confirming this morning and we're going to accept it). Alot of things are starting to fall into place, sort of, and I suppose I'm just s**t scared about all that's ahead of us. Can't really talk to anybody else about it, apart from hubby and kids. Mam and Dad have this sad face on every time I even mention that we've had a house viewing...! But that's another story. The only person who seems to be really happy and excited about this move, apart from us, is my brother on the Gold Coast - he can't wait! We have to move by April 21st, so, if this buyer stays on board, it will all happen soon after Christmas. I think I just wanted to get all these thoughts going round in my head down on paper. Maybe I'll get a better night's sleep because of it and I know there's so many of you going through the same thing (or have been there and done that!) Looking forward to meeting some of you on the Gold Coast early in 2006. Thanks for "listening". Michelle
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default Re: Galway to Gold Coast - reality starting to hit!

Michelle,

I am just soooo HAPPY for u, its finally all coming togehter!!!

c u soon

fabie

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
All these thoughts were going around in my head at 3 o'clock this morning (as they do!) I'm not going through the "last-minute doubts" stage - we as sure as we can be that we're doing the right thing. I just think that the reality of all that we have ahead of us is just starting to hit home. We got our precious visa grant last month (2nd attempt and, therefore, almost two years of waiting for this) and have been busy doing all the usual things - putting house on the market, sorting through the mountain of info for dog, getting dog permit, quotes from movers - as most of you know, the list is endless. Came home from work yesterday to a letter from ANZ with our new bank account number and branch address (Surfer's Paradise ). Our dog carrier was delivered also. The Estate Agent rang with an offer above the asking price for our house (he's confirming this morning and we're going to accept it). Alot of things are starting to fall into place, sort of, and I suppose I'm just s**t scared about all that's ahead of us. Can't really talk to anybody else about it, apart from hubby and kids. Mam and Dad have this sad face on every time I even mention that we've had a house viewing...! But that's another story. The only person who seems to be really happy and excited about this move, apart from us, is my brother on the Gold Coast - he can't wait! We have to move by April 21st, so, if this buyer stays on board, it will all happen soon after Christmas. I think I just wanted to get all these thoughts going round in my head down on paper. Maybe I'll get a better night's sleep because of it and I know there's so many of you going through the same thing (or have been there and done that!) Looking forward to meeting some of you on the Gold Coast early in 2006. Thanks for "listening". Michelle
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:18 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

hiya, you are only human afterall, it is a HUGE step moving to australia, you are bound to have thoughts and feelings running around all over the place, everything sounds to be coming along nicely ready for the move, no doubt there will be last minute hitches, but if you prepare for them, they wont hold you back too much!! as for your parents, most parents wouldnt be happy to know their son/daughter would be moving to the other side of the world! the flight puts a lot of people of visiting althogether, they will get used to it, you have to put yourself and your family first, you are doing all this for them and a better quality of life - it is something i expect you thought you would never get with all the turmoil going on, but now you have and its here, enjoy it, you only live once!
good luck
vb2

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Sir Slippery is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm interested in people views on this, as I too keep going through very mixed thoughts and emotions.

We are selling our house and at this stage moving to the Gold Coast early next year, my wife is from there and all of her family are there now.

I'm scared as I feel so English, I love the weather, seasons, we live right by the River Thames in Thames Ditton Surrey and are surrounded by lovely pubs, greenery etc.

So I'm not sure if moving to Oz is a good thing or not as we pretty much have everything we want here, I'm getting homesick before I've even left!!

Sorry if it's seems like I'm stealing your thread but I'm sure my thoughts, doubts and fears are similar to yours.

One minute I am very excited about starting a new chapter in our lives, being near my wifes family etc etc, the next very scared that I'm going to miss England to much!!

Cheers

Si
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sir Slippery
I'm interested in people views on this, as I too keep going through very mixed thoughts and emotions.

We are selling our house and at this stage moving to the Gold Coast early next year, my wife is from there and all of her family are there now.

I'm scared as I feel so English, I love the weather, seasons, we live right by the River Thames in Thames Ditton Surrey and are surrounded by lovely pubs, greenery etc.

So I'm not sure if moving to Oz is a good thing or not as we pretty much have everything we want here, I'm getting homesick before I've even left!!

Sorry if it's seems like I'm stealing your thread but I'm sure my thoughts, doubts and fears are similar to yours.

One minute I am very excited about starting a new chapter in our lives, being near my wifes family etc etc, the next very scared that I'm going to miss England to much!!

Cheers

Si
I know its all normal. As for your own situation and loving England, etc. I think you need to remind yourself as to why you decided to make this move in the first place. Are you going just because your wife misses home or are you going for yourself as well? Its tough, but wouldn't you rather be able to say at the end of your life - "well, I tried it...", rather than: "I wish I'd done that"? I do feel the same as you though - having different feelings every day and, of course, dreading the last few days here. Michelle
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be fine!!! moving here is the best thing we ever did...honest just try to stay calm and enjoy it.

We'll have to sort out another 2006 Gold Coast meet for ya

All the best with the final weeks

Sue x
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Sir Slippery is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies, I'm now feeling a bit better, and your both right, I may regret not trying it and yes I am going for myself as well as my wife.

Sue Looking forward to the meet next year, looks like we will be missing a good turn out on the coast.

we are looking at properties in MURWILLUMBAH they look fantastic and you get lots for your money, so I'm getting that excited feeling again....just hope i can keep hold of it

Somehow I think i may be posting a few more 'help' posts before we finally go

Many thanks

Si