Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

g"day from Sunny Coast and an update

g"day from Sunny Coast and an update

Old Mar 14th 2004, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default g"day from Sunny Coast and an update

Hi All,

Here's an update on our life so far over the 2 week mark.

We got a house to rent in Little mountain rental about $290 but we get a few inclusives for that.

Hubby is a joiner he got a job after 10 days but be warned, if you want to sub contract you will need to get your qualifications transferred to Ozzy ones and take a business management course and get a blue card for safety this costs about $1000 in total.

The weather is good but I was introduced to my first red back in the house when we first arrived, I am now slightly paranoid of them. I hate waking though and the backsofmy legs arethat sweaty and trust me I love the heat. Thankfully it is notgoing to be like this for much longer.

I am still looking for a job but 2 weeks isn't along time.

We have joined the RSL but not been yet. But the Caloundra one seems pretty good.

Hubby has joined the local soccer team and I have joined the Adult lap swimming Squad.

They drive like nutters over here they really do, they don't let you go and when 2 lanes form into one they drive and speed up to not let you in. Not sure what the other 20 feet is going to matter.

Hubby has settled straight away and back into a routine Iam just getting bored now,although I bought hubby a surfboard today for his birthday so it is my birthday tomorrow and I willmiss home so I will take it myself and catch a few down at King's or Dicky beach.

I hate the mossy's I hate having to come in when it's so nice outside just because you will be bit to buggery if you don't .

Life is what you make and Iwill try and make a life here.

We haven't got our stuff yet but it arrived the day after us 27.02.04 so we went with Crown relocations and they have been brill so far.

Take care all

Love Carrianne x
Old Mar 14th 2004, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Carrianne
Hope you have a lovely birthday tomorrow - it must be weird being in a new country and having your b'day so soon... I'm sure by next year you'll have made some good mates to celebrate with.
Try not to worry about the redbacks - they're not so bad really & they're not aggressive as such... the mossies will stop biting so much once you're acclimatised, try not to scratch too much!
Take care,
Larissa
Old Mar 14th 2004, 9:05 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Carrianne,
Its good to hear how your doing, it sounds like your settling pretty well. Will you be coming to the Brisbane meet next Sunday?
Michaela
Old Mar 14th 2004, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Hi Carrianne,

Sounds like you are settling well, I bet it's so hot because like me you are used the the lousy scottish weather. I will be in the Gold Coast in 5 days, so it's great to hear your experiences. Good luck with everything.

Lisa
Old Mar 14th 2004, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Happy birthday for tomorrow.

Thought the bloke would get a job easy, building work is booming, as you say tho they like the bits of paper here.

Mozzies, have you got some rid spray? they hit just on dusk so if you are outside then just have a bit of a spray.

The best weather of the year is about to start, May to August should be brilliant, its not been hot tho the last 2 weeks you should have felt january now that WAS hot

RSL's if you dont like them much, try a surf club, you will find younger sporty (surfing, outrigger) types as well as the Pokie crowd.

Good luck with the job huntings.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy B'day to you both, It's good to hear your doing ok. good luck with job hunting.
Would little mountain be an area you would consider buying in?

Terry
Old Mar 14th 2004, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Glad to hear your husband has got a job. I plan not to work for a while when we get to oz but I am worried about being bored or not getting out and meeting people. I've decided to do voluntary work instead so that will help. Maybe I will volunteer my services at my sons school.

I suppose you will get used to the spiders and mozzies. Ozzies don't seem that bothered by mozzies so maybe you do get used to them.

Keep in touch

Mandy
Old Mar 14th 2004, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Many Happy Returns for tomorrow Carrianne

I`m sure the boredom will ease as soon as you have a job and your own things around you. Enjoy the surfing !!

footie xx
Old Mar 14th 2004, 2:38 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Carrianne. The hard work's over now - relax and enjoy!
Old Mar 14th 2004, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: g"day from Sunny Coast and an update

Hey Carrianne & Nelly
great to hear that you have 'settled', Mark was pleased that Nelly has already found joinery work as being a plasterer knowing that there is work out there is music to his ears!
Hope that the boredom is something you can crack mate and that you birthday is a great one, the first of many happy ones in your new home mate
take care and keep posting and remember to keep your slippers on in the house!
love and cyber hugs
rach, mark and chanelle xxxx
Old Mar 15th 2004, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Thank you all. It's funny my birthday and my dad phoning me in the morning as usual, it was nice.

I think we may be coming to the Brisbane meet if i can drag my hubby of his surf board.

Little Mountain is a nice pretty place, i would consider buying a house here as it is not too far (by car) from anything, beaches, shops, bruce highway etc.

I am sure I will be fine. Hope you are all well.

Love Carrianne x for my birthday
Old Mar 15th 2004, 1:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by scrawni

I suppose you will get used to the spiders and mozzies. Ozzies don't seem that bothered by mozzies so maybe you do get used to them.
I think the mozzies like the fresh white skin, and the Ozzies like a new migrant in the crowd, when having an evening BBQ, .... something to keep the mozzies busy

Old Mar 15th 2004, 4:07 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I think the mozzies like the fresh white skin, and the Ozzies like a new migrant in the crowd, when having an evening BBQ, .... something to keep the mozzies busy
I always make sure I take Dagboy along to any outdoor function Im invited to - it ensures that everyone else within a large radius stays bite-free .

Happy b/day Carrianne, hope you can make it down next week, looking forward to meeting you .
Old Mar 15th 2004, 4:29 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Happy birthday Carrianne

Talke some vitamen B2 complex and after 2 weeks the mossies don't like the taste of youat all. When you do get bitten try STOP ITCH it truly works.

In caloundra try the surf club as well their meals are ok and reasonable. We had a couple of meals at the RSL the service could do with some attention when they are busy as they do not limit the intake and it gets quite crowded when there is a good show going. However the food is ok and the beer is cheap.

Good luck keep posting
Old Mar 15th 2004, 6:52 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Birthday Carrianne

I've also heard that Vitamin B2 Complex works. I'm not sure if the vitamin emits some aroma which mozzies find repellant, I guess so or each mozzie would have to bite you to find out they don't like your taste!!

Anyway, keep going in Oz - remember the grief you put up with to get that Visa - I'm sure that you will settle in well.

We're thinking of you with fingers crossed.

Please keep posting

Enjoy your birthday

A2O