Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FX £ - $ AUD This week

FX £ - $ AUD This week

Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:29 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FX £ - $ AUD This week

Originally Posted by MrCro
I read that RBA not planning to reduce interest rates again next month so don't know what effect that will have, big reduction 1% this month didn't weaken dollar so will no drop bizzarley cause it to drop???? So unpredictable on the fundeMENTALs!
Here's your answer....

Aussie dollar rises on RBA speech
Friday February 20, 2009, 10:26 am

SYDNEY, Feb 20 (Reuters) - The Australian dollar firmed on Friday after the market pared back expectations of an aggressive interest rate cut next month following comments from the central bank governor.

* Reserve Bank Governor Glenn Stevens said there was still room for more rate cuts, but added that there had already been a very large easing and the full effects were yet to be seen. [nSYA005988]

* Aussie AUD= hit a high of $0.6471 on Stevens' comments, up from $0.6442 before the speech and up from $0.6419 seen here late on Thursday.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Here's your answer....

Aussie dollar rises on RBA speech
Friday February 20, 2009, 10:26 am

SYDNEY, Feb 20 (Reuters) - The Australian dollar firmed on Friday after the market pared back expectations of an aggressive interest rate cut next month following comments from the central bank governor.

* Reserve Bank Governor Glenn Stevens said there was still room for more rate cuts, but added that there had already been a very large easing and the full effects were yet to be seen. [nSYA005988]

* Aussie AUD= hit a high of $0.6471 on Stevens' comments, up from $0.6442 before the speech and up from $0.6419 seen here late on Thursday.
....and down to 0.6371 now. So what does that prove ???
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by autorock
Another (more flimsy!) take is that it's a wedge forming - could break out either way?!?

Thoughts!?

http://www.rocketland.com/generic/Fo...t_11_02_09.jpg
it's looking like a wedge tonight, which way will it break!?

Reading bad news for £ and for A$ in equal amounts so which way it will go is anyones guess!!!!

Last edited by MrCro; Feb 22nd 2009 at 9:49 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:35 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

it's looking like a wedge tonight, which way will it break!?

Reading bad news for £ and for A$ in equal amounts so which way it will go is anyones guess!!!!
That spike may finally be just around the corner, possibly based on the following ?
http://business.theage.com.au/busine...0225-8hfd.html

From...http://www.dailyfx.com/story/strateg...454842910.html
"Pound Aussie seems to do well in the midst of of global financial gloom and doom. It is well on its way to its target of 2.4000. Bringing stops to break even would be advisable to limit the risk on this trade. Intermediate resistance comes into view at 2.3094 and 2.3802. Positive economic news could turn this negative quickly."
Attached Thumbnails FX £ - $ AUD This week-gbpaud_feb23rd.jpg  

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Feb 25th 2009 at 7:37 am.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
That spike may finally be just around the corner, possibly based on the following ?
http://business.theage.com.au/busine...0225-8hfd.html

From...http://www.dailyfx.com/story/strateg...454842910.html
"Pound Aussie seems to do well in the midst of of global financial gloom and doom. It is well on its way to its target of 2.4000. Bringing stops to break even would be advisable to limit the risk on this trade. Intermediate resistance comes into view at 2.3094 and 2.3802. Positive economic news could turn this negative quickly."
Hope you're right mate - it seems to be testing that support line again persistently!

I don't want to be kicking myself if $2.20 looks great in 1 months time!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Hope you're right mate - it seems to be testing that support line again persistently!

I don't want to be kicking myself if $2.20 looks great in 1 months time!
me too I was gonna buy at 2.26 other night as looked to be peaking but still was watching that upper channel line and hoped would go higher.

Kinda wish I had now though as could have bought back at 2.19 this afternoon which would have made me a nice little profit. Timing is so crucial, I'd hate to be dealing in millions as a job, your head would be right on the block if you got the timing wrong!!

On my daily 3month chart todays 'candle' has broke below the lower trend line very slightly so hoping its about to bounce off and up again!!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

me too I was gonna buy at 2.26 other night as looked to be peaking but still was watching that upper channel line and hoped would go higher.

Kinda wish I had now though as could have bought back at 2.19 this afternoon which would have made me a nice little profit. Timing is so crucial, I'd hate to be dealing in millions as a job, your head would be right on the block if you got the timing wrong!!

On my daily 3month chart todays 'candle' has broke below the lower trend line very slightly so hoping its about to bounce off and up again!!
Yeah, I'm not that hopeful now - bummer....
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm not that hopeful now - bummer....
but I have read a few reports predicting A$ to get as low as 50c US and if you open a AUD to USD duplicate chart and put it above the £ to AUD it is a mirror image pretty much so if AUD does slip that low it will increase the £!

We'll see what happens, so much going on in states last few days its all got a bit crazy!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

but I have read a few reports predicting A$ to get as low as 50c US and if you open a AUD to USD duplicate chart and put it above the £ to AUD it is a mirror image pretty much so if AUD does slip that low it will increase the £!

We'll see what happens, so much going on in states last few days its all got a bit crazy!
I'm closing my eyes tight and clinching my but cheeks and hoping for the best (seems to be the logic way forward?!?)

I'm off to Oz to live in 9 weeks (booked!) and will earn my living in GBP£ for the foreseeable future!!!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Guys

As i've said in previous parts of this thread, the only people that suggest it will make an upward move are those that have a vested interest in it doing so.

The rate (apart from that Crazy blip in Oct) has sat between 2.1 and 2.2 $/£

I'm no money expert, but im a realist, if i were in a position to transfer money either way, i would be happy with anything outside of these boundaries (the lower if you are shifting money from Aus to UK and the upper for the other way.

I dont want to burst anyones bubble here, but drawing lines on graphs and then expecting the market to follow your line ? You are only kidding one person

Stu
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Guys

As i've said in previous parts of this thread, the only people that suggest it will make an upward move are those that have a vested interest in it doing so.

The rate (apart from that Crazy blip in Oct) has sat between 2.1 and 2.2 $/£

I'm no money expert, but im a realist, if i were in a position to transfer money either way, i would be happy with anything outside of these boundaries (the lower if you are shifting money from Aus to UK and the upper for the other way.

I dont want to burst anyones bubble here, but drawing lines on graphs and then expecting the market to follow your line ? You are only kidding one person

Stu
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Well 2.19 $ to the £ this morning -

the rate is definitely heading down again in terms of $ to the £ and as much as I hate to admit it, since the beginning of Jan I've been watching the rate closely (every day a million times a day) and I don't think its gone above 2.26 dollars to the £ (or maybe fractionally, for 1 day.)

So thats telling me something.

I've got a month to go until I transfer my money so on the basis of the time I have left & what the trend has been in the last 2 months I'm going to ride out this downturn and fix my rate as soon as it increases again and hits 2.25 (if it does!!)

Thats it, I can't hold out any longer for it to go higher than that. Good luck, though, to all of you who have more time/ more guts than me!!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Well 2.19 $ to the £ this morning -

the rate is definitely heading down again in terms of $ to the £ and as much as I hate to admit it, since the beginning of Jan I've been watching the rate closely (every day a million times a day) and I don't think its gone above 2.26 dollars to the £ (or maybe fractionally, for 1 day.)

So thats telling me something.

I've got a month to go until I transfer my money so on the basis of the time I have left & what the trend has been in the last 2 months I'm going to ride out this downturn and fix my rate as soon as it increases again and hits 2.25 (if it does!!)

Thats it, I can't hold out any longer for it to go higher than that. Good luck, though, to all of you who have more time/ more guts than me!!
well it has bounced off the bottom trend line again (no doubt that will attract 'bah humbug' comments!!!) you have time in the next month for a potential 2.30 - don't lose faith these are weird times!

Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Check this out downunderpaddy, the experts who deal in millions everyday are now drawing lines on charts and expecting the market to follow!!!!!!!!

so perhaps it IS worth doing and just ignore the bah humbugs out there!

http://biz.yahoo.com/fxcm/090226/123...6039.html?.v=1

Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Weird times indeed - after going up to 2.25 $ to the £ last week it was down to $2.19 by yesterday morning, however started to climb again yesterday and now back up to 2.23.......!!
I don't know whether I'm coming or going at the moment. As long as it stays around 2.23 I can hang on but when it dips under 2.20 I panic. We'll see.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.