Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Furniture question.

Furniture question.

Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:46 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Furniture question.

Right I own what you might call an Indian wood medievel style table you know the one with wrought iron studs and bands. The legs are supposed to come off but the bolts have got so bent I can't take it apart so i wont be bringing it.

I have four wrought iron chairs that are worth over £200 each. Is it worth shipping the chairs in the hope that I'll be able to buy a similar table in oz or do they not have these over there and should I save the shipping cost of the chairs
to buy new ones.

Here's a bad picture of said table
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:50 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furniture question.

Originally Posted by fraser
Right I own what you might call an Indian wood medievel style table you know the one with wrought iron studs and bands. The legs are supposed to come off but the bolts have got so bent I can't take it apart so i wont be bringing it.

I have four wrought iron chairs that are worth over £200 each. Is it worth shipping the chairs in the hope that I'll be able to buy a similar table in oz or do they not have these over there and should I save the shipping cost of the chairs
to buy new ones.

Hi furniture is crap here in Aus, and the nice stuff is very expensive....

You r house reminds me of what mine used to look like in the uk, same cololurs style etc......

We have bought all new furniture, but its no where as near good quality as what i left behind....

over here its all cheap chintzy stuff and looks dead out of date, unless you go the the nice posh modern places and pay alot of money...

hope this helps

laura
x
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:51 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Hi furniture is crap here in Aus, and the nice stuff is very expensive....

You r house reminds me of what mine used to look like in the uk, same cololurs style etc......

We have bought all new furniture, but its no where as near good quality as what i left behind....

over here its all cheap chintzy stuff and looks dead out of date, unless you go the the nice posh modern places and pay alot of money...

hope this helps

laura
x
So to sum up would my chairs look out of place around an Aussie table?
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:52 am

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

so i would try harder to get the bolts off, or ship it in full effect and defo bring the chairs.

i know a nice place that sells that type of stuff, but it is expensive.

I like lots of stuff in the shop but could never afford it here

laura
x
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:52 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

So to sum up would my chairs look out of place around an Aussie table?
See my reply in the pub in Lounge..
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:54 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Laura, bring it all.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:57 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
I agree with Laura, bring it all.
Thats what I said in the pub, but have you seen the shop off Brunswick St that makes furniture? Not too expensive, and some really beautiful pieces
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
so i would try harder to get the bolts off, or ship it in full effect and defo bring the chairs.

i know a nice place that sells that type of stuff, but it is expensive.

I like lots of stuff in the shop but could never afford it here

laura
x
Nah It'll be knackered after all the transit the legs are starting to splread out

It'll cost me £200 to ship, just have to decide about the chairs.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice

to buy new ones.

Don,t know about the chairs but are you a dwarf or do you just stoat your head off the chandelier every time you pass it Lol.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by flumper
Don,t know about the chairs but are you a dwarf or do you just stoat your head off the chandelier every time you pass it Lol.
I'm often picking bits of it up of the floor and putting it back together again, which is no easy task as you put one bit in a nother falls out.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:23 am

Nah It'll be knackered after all the transit the legs are starting to splread out

It'll cost me £200 to ship, just have to decide about the chairs.

only £200, well worth it.

Cas, i need the name of the shop, please PM me the details......you know my style, and how i love bargins

PS i bought a jaket for $37 today in the Myer sale, reduced from $147......

laura
x
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:40 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

The furniture here is pretty good (just to add debate) there are plenty of places that sell good quality stuff 4000$ up to 9000$ for a sofa or you can go to megamart and get one for 900$ And lots in between.

Nick Scali is nice stuff, Freedom do nice things, its all quite nice really.

There are tons of places that do wood things (must be because of Aqis burning it all on re-entry) teak is big here .

I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap things were here compared to UK and teh quality - yeah if you go to megamart you're going to think furniture is crap, but if you go to the places that are trying to be a bit designery like freedom or nick scali then its all pretty good.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:50 am

but who can afford $9000 for a sofa when you need to furnish the whole house? which was exactly my point that nice stuff here is expensive.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:54 am

Luckily I've just managed to get it apart my arms are now killing me as I had typhoid and hep a jabs yesterday.

As for settees I'm lucky enought o have just been given my Dada twe leather one which cost him £4000 last year(hence why I was taking the table apart today as it's getting a bit crowded in here) and we also have a pair of our own Italian ones so we'll be right for those
Old Jul 28th 2005, 11:09 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

I did say stuff in between - which is more representative of like DFS or somewhere in UK , like 14-1500$ for a sofa. Or ther is Ikea which is exactly the same as IKEA in uk just cheaper cost its in $.

I didnt read the bit where you said expensive stuff is good and cheap stuff is crap. sorry missed that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.