Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Furnished rentals in Melbourne?

Furnished rentals in Melbourne?

Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice
Default Furnished rentals in Melbourne?

Hi

We are planning to rent out our house in the UK for 2 years initially and I was just wondering whether to ship our house contents to Aus or whether it's easy to find furnished rentals in Melbourne.

Can anyone offer advice please?
Many thanks
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

shoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Furnished rentals in Melbourne?

I am sure others will reply, but in general you do not find furnished rentals in Australia, so your better off shipping your furniture otherwise will have to purchase new.

Cheers
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:37 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

What shoshana said.

I would say 99% of rentals are totally unfurnished - not even a fridge or washing machine!

Oven and dishwasher would normally be included in the rental though.

Buzzy
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:49 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MANDS14
Hi

We are planning to rent out our house in the UK for 2 years initially and I was just wondering whether to ship our house contents to Aus or whether it's easy to find furnished rentals in Melbourne.

Can anyone offer advice please?
Many thanks
As with what the others have said - you however can find short term accomodation furnished and can then buy locally to save on shipping all your items.

I am interpreting your OP of renting your own house at for 2 years because you want a sense of "if it does not work out we have a house to return too?"

Have you thought of which area in Melbourne you would like to relocate too?

What time frame?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:00 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

You could always rent the furniture aswell as the house? Not cheap, but keeps you flexible should you want to move regions! .i.e. Perth to Brisbane etc!
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice

Thanks for all the replies guys thats really helpful.

Geelong gent-Yes, we are a bit nervous about the move and so we were going to see how we got on for a couple of years before jumping in with both feet.

It took us ages to find the current house we are in in the UK (very limited suitable family size housing and very expensive)and we have only been in it 2 years, most of which we have spent doing it up! (which, with 3 children under 5 has been no mean feet!) If we sold and things didn't work out in Aus, we couldn't afford this house or one like it again. Hence our reluctance. Some may say we can't really give it a go in Aus unless we go for it and cut ties back home- and it may come to this- but we are trying to consider all options.

We have just started looking at areas of Melbourne and need to do some more research but we would like to be within half an hour of CBD and near the coast.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Hi,

Like yourselves we want to keep on our house, for exactly the same reason as yourselves. If things don't work out then you have your property back home.

We plan on bringing sofas etc tvs, husband and I both have equipment to bring for our business, but we do intend to leave beds etc as they are too big and quite cheap to replace, plus if we get a house right and quick and our furniture hasn't arrived, we would at least have beds.

We plan on the mornington peninsula and plan to give it 2 years and then re-evaluate things. I think it would be a sin not to give it a chance.

We have 4 kids from 7 down to 14 months, so we haven't even been out on a reccie as it would be too expensive to bring the kids and I don't think I could leave them.

We plan on buying a caravan when we first get there and living in it on a caravan park until we get a decent place.

Good Luck,

Croc
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hi crocodileseamus

When are you planning to go? The mornington peninsula looks great and is certainly something we will be looking at- only down side is its distance from CBD. I have read somewhere its an hour and a half commute.

Anyway after working out all the figures last night it look slike we can only afford to do this if we sell.

So we are going for a holiday in March and if we like it we are going to jump in feet first and sell up! At least we are not going blind then and we will feel a bit better about giving everything up here.

I can let you know how we get on if you like. Send me a pm if there is anything you would like info on
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:23 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MANDS14
Hi crocodileseamus

When are you planning to go? The mornington peninsula looks great and is certainly something we will be looking at- only down side is its distance from CBD. I have read somewhere its an hour and a half commute.

Anyway after working out all the figures last night it look slike we can only afford to do this if we sell.

So we are going for a holiday in March and if we like it we are going to jump in feet first and sell up! At least we are not going blind then and we will feel a bit better about giving everything up here.

I can let you know how we get on if you like. Send me a pm if there is anything you would like info on
Depends where abouts on the penninsula can prob do CBD from mornington in just over an hour but property prices are on the increase there
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:10 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We lived Frankston end of the Peninsula (Somerville) and the commute was 1.5 hrs for hubby. This was what killed the dream for us the first time round

We intend to return to Oz this year but this time we are going to try either Sydney or Brisbane depending on the jobs on offer for hubby. He is railway engineer and there is a national shortage over there so will see what is offered before making the decision as to where to base ourselves. We will only settle 30min max commute from work this time round and we plan to rent in the long term and we are renting our property out in the UK this time round.

Dont get me wrong the peninsula is a fab part of Victoria but it is a long commute from the CBD and I would not base ourselves there again if we did end up back in Melbourne.

Jo
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that info about the commute-thats pretty much what I thought.

No point going for the dream if you spend half of it in the car!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Mands,

Have you applied yet? We are just at the visa stage now as hubby completed degree and got authorisation from the Ozzie Podiatry to work in Victoria.

Then of course about November time we both decided to enjoy Xmas and not think about Oz as that is all we'd though about for 3 years. Now things are back on again, though plans are slightly different as we are going to rent the house.

Were going to go and have a look first, but then we thought of the hassle with the kids and the expense, we just thought we ain't getting any younger so we're going for it.

Hopefully going January next year as we want another Xmas here. We just plan on living in a caravan, which we'll buy when we get there and then take our time and get a house, rather than commit to long term rentals. We are lucky having another couple of smaller properties to sell, which will make it easier for us before going.

I think if we don't do it soon we'll only regret not giving it a chance, so what if it doesn't work out, it ain't the end of the world, but we're going to give it a chance,

Lynne x
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

rhona is on a distinguished road

Hi guys myself and my partner are planing on moving out around sept oct time to melbourne. We've got the visa a business visa now we've just got sort things out here. Thats one of my biggest worries that we get there and can't find anything decent to rent! We'd really like to buy a place but that will take time.
Not hundred percent sure on where to settle yet but quite liked Sunbury or Bacchus Marsh has anyone any inside info on these?
When are you guys going and where do you want to settle?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

rhona is on a distinguished road

Hi Lynne,
Thats my thoughts too if it doesnt work out we just come back at least we will know we've given it a chance. Some days I get really excited thinking about it and other days im on the verge of having panic attacks!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rhona,

I do that a million times a day. Every morning my OH asks me what percentage I feel about going to Oz, it is NEVER 100%, sometimes 98 down to 60%. Other days it is just 'don't even ask'. OH is always 100%.

Sometimes I question my own sanity about how quickly I am full on and full off for Oz.

Maybe I am just in a rut, I don't know. At the moment I really really want to go and give it a shot, I'm not saying I will retire there, but I have nothing but a few pounds to loose in going and I may have a lot to gain with life experience, regrets etc. I think there are always excuses to be found in not going because the initial setting up new life, schools, work etc will be difficult.

Who knows, don't worry Rhona, you ain't the only one,

Lynne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.