Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fur'n'feathers'n'crystals

Fur'n'feathers'n'crystals

Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:36 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fur'n'feathers'n'crystals

More customs issues. Crystals - e.g. tumbled stones, polished quartz, haematite, opals - used therapeutically. Are these a problem?

We have several dream catchers and a Native American Mandala that has fur, feathers and hide. All have been treated.

You can tell we're doing customs and insurance, can't you?
Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fur'n'feathers'n'crystals

I've been doing the same today too not got as much as you tho was just thinking about our feather duvet's are they treated?

Sue...sorry I cant help you out
Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

Feather pillows... agghhh... help!!! :scared:

We too are in the same situation packers coming on 17th..!!! maybe we should pm and swap notes

Julie
Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJJHM

Feather pillows... agghhh... help!!! :scared:

We too are in the same situation packers coming on 17th..!!! maybe we should pm and swap notes

Julie

I sort of was gonna forget to tick that box

I know of people that have taken them, but are you ment to

Sue x
Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Sue2
I sort of was gonna forget to tick that box

I know of people that have taken them, but are you ment to

Sue x
I thought that the feathers in pillows and duvets were treated - sanitised in some way. But I may be wrong. I think our dream catcher feathers are probably okay because they are mostly coloured and must therefore have been processed.

Blimey, what a lark eh?
Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
I thought that the feathers in pillows and duvets were treated - sanitised in some way. But I may be wrong. I think our dream catcher feathers are probably okay because they are mostly coloured and must therefore have been processed.

Blimey, what a lark eh?

I think your right and the fact that your feathers have been coloured must be ok too.

Sue
Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

elfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to all

I think your right and the fact that your feathers have been coloured must be ok too.

Sue
We were told by all the removal companies who came to give us a quote NO feathers. My children have feather boas and a red indian outfit and we had some feathers on our christmas decorations all coloured and treated but every company said no. Even some shells picked off the beach in WA they told me to take in my hand luggage and declare rather than shipping them in case customs were funny about them!
Love and light
Elfin
Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:22 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
More customs issues. Crystals - e.g. tumbled stones, polished quartz, haematite, opals - used therapeutically. Are these a problem?

We have several dream catchers and a Native American Mandala that has fur, feathers and hide. All have been treated.

You can tell we're doing customs and insurance, can't you?
We were told by the shipping agent that our rather "small" (amazing how they build up over the years lol) collection of crystals and other healing whatnots are fine.

Dont know about the dream catchers - but you got me thinking! The AQIS website ICON database says about feather products (and if you type in duvet you get sent to the same feather product page) -

Non-Commercial
1. An Import Permit is not required.
2. A Quarantine Entry is not required.
3. Consignments of commercially packaged feathers or commercially manufactured feather products are subject to inspection on arrival to ensure the absence of animal tissue, soil, faeces, seeds and insect contamination.

Guess that means they should be fine
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
We were told by the shipping agent that our rather "small" (amazing how they build up over the years lol) collection of crystals and other healing whatnots are fine.

Dont know about the dream catchers - but you got me thinking! The AQIS website ICON database says about feather products (and if you type in duvet you get sent to the same feather product page) -

Non-Commercial
1. An Import Permit is not required.
2. A Quarantine Entry is not required.
3. Consignments of commercially packaged feathers or commercially manufactured feather products are subject to inspection on arrival to ensure the absence of animal tissue, soil, faeces, seeds and insect contamination.

Guess that means they should be fine
That's marvellous, Centurion, thank you.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hope we can take them... got 3 new duvets and 4 pillows thanks guys for the info, sorry to hijack your post BD

Sue x
Old Aug 1st 2005, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Hope we can take them... got 3 new duvets and 4 pillows thanks guys for the info, sorry to hijack your post BD

Sue x
Hi (again) Sue,

There was a thread about this last night from Paula Elliot - I gave her the name of the guy at AQIS so that she could get the answer straight from the horses mouth so to speak. Whilst I wouldn't suggest that everyone starts emailing him (he'll probably hate me forever and hold up my container!), it might be worth contacting Paula to see what her response regarding feather duvets was. Strangely enough, I emailed this guy to ask about rocks, fossils, minerals, semi-precious gem stones, so this will answer someone elses question on this thread. Here was his response :

G'day Netta

As for your gemstones, rocks, minerals and fossils these items will
be subject to an inspection to verify that it is free of soil and other
quarantine risk material. All Personal Effects are subject to inspection, a
packing list with the consignment will help the quarantine officers.

Regards
Michael McMillan

Then I wrote to him again asking how much detail was required for the rocks, minerals etc and here was his reply :

Hello Netta,

Sorry for the late reply. Your right in assuming that we only look
in boxes that have a quarantine concern, but it is up to the officer at time of
inspection (He may look at all boxes or he may look at some). There is no need
to list every stone/ rock or fossil as long as there free from soil and other
quarantine risk materials. As for the wicker and other wooden items it is
allowed into Australia but it will need to be inspected and to be free of
insects. I think the only way to make it easier for the officer is to list all
the goods/ items and number the boxes, so he'll know in box one (1) there is
cloths, shoes in box two (2) kitchen goods etc..

Remember we look at all shoes or goods that may have soil, sand,
bark, food etc etc.
Hope this helps,
Regards
Michael

P.S. For the stones or any goods wrap them anyway that you feel happy with cause
they may get damaged through transport.

Hopefully this may help you guys re feathers / furs / crystals!!!!

Netta
X