Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Funny thing happened when driving...

Funny thing happened when driving...

Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:06 pm
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice
Default Funny thing happened when driving...

I'd just left work yesterday evening and was on the Parramatta road, one of the busiest roads in Australia, when I noticed that a spider was scuttling up the windscreen. It was a horrible looking thing, about 2 inches across and brown in colour, with pretty fat legs. I'm not a big fan of spiders, but wasn't too concerned as I'd assumed it was on the outside of the windscreen. As it got to the top of the windscreen, I was expecting it to dissapear onto the roof. It didn't, and I could see its legs on the roof lining. To my horror it then dawned on me that it was inside the car and was sat looking at me about 8 inches from my face.

Trying not to panic, I turned off, trying to find somewhere to stop. The nearest place was Busrwood Westfield shopping centre. Unfortunately, it has loads of speed bumps, so I was gingerly driving over them, trying not to dislodge the spider. Eventually, I found a parking space, parked up & abandoned the car as fast as I could. Got as few funny looks from the locals. I took a picture, then managed to get it out of the car before stomping on it. Anyone know what type it is?

DaveI'd just left work yesterday evening and was on the Parramatta road, one of the busiest roads in Australia, when I noticed that a spider was scuttling up the windscreen. It was a horrible looking thing, about 2 inches across and brown in colour, with pretty fat legs. I'm not a big fan of spiders, but wasn't too concerned as I'd assumed it was on the outside of the windscreen. As it got to the top of the windscreen, I was expecting it to dissapear onto the roof. It didn't, and I could see its legs on the roof lining. To my horror it then dawned on me that it was inside the car and was sat looking at me about 8 inches from my face.

Trying not to panic, I turned off, trying to find somewhere to stop. The nearest place was Busrwood Westfield shopping centre. Unfortunately, it has loads of speed bumps, so I was gingerly driving over them, trying not to dislodge the spider. Eventually, I found a parking space, parked up & abandoned the car as fast as I could. Got as few funny looks from the locals. I took a picture, then managed to get it out of the car before stomping on it. Anyone know what type it is?

DaveI'd just left work yesterday evening and was on the Parramatta road, one of the busiest roads in Australia, when I noticed that a spider was scuttling up the windscreen. It was a horrible looking thing, about 2 inches across and brown in colour, with pretty fat legs. I'm not a big fan of spiders, but wasn't too concerned as I'd assumed it was on the outside of the windscreen. As it got to the top of the windscreen, I was expecting it to dissapear onto the roof. It didn't, and I could see its legs on the roof lining. To my horror it then dawned on me that it was inside the car and was sat looking at me about 8 inches from my face.

Trying not to panic, I turned off, trying to find somewhere to stop. The nearest place was Burwood Westfield shopping centre. Unfortunately, it has loads of speed bumps, so I was gingerly driving over them, trying not to dislodge it, if it had fallen on my face I would have died. Eventually, I found a parking space, parked up & abandoned the car as fast as I could. Got as few funny looks from the locals. I took a picture, then managed to get it out of the car before stomping on it. Anyone know what type it is?

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Funny thing happened when driving...-spider1.jpg  
Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:14 pm
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

Another picture
Attached Thumbnails Funny thing happened when driving...-spider2.jpg  
Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it a redback aaaahhhhhhh:scared: :scared: :scared: Its been 32 years since i last saw one
Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:34 pm
Sun Dodger

Originally posted by chris hogan
Is it a redback aaaahhhhhhh:scared: :scared: :scared: Its been 32 years since i last saw one
according to the lads at work its a Huntsman
Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:49 pm
Sun Dodger

That's it, i've decided your not safe to be in a car out there - first you have a car burst into flames on you then you could have crashed on the highway because of a bl**dy spider.

I'm going to book our flights tomorrow as need to be with you while you are still in one piece.

Mrs Bluerobot xx
Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

dont think they are dangerous but i wouldnt like one of them crawling up my t shirt

Old Sep 28th 2003, 11:02 pm
WBB

Default Re: Funny thing happened when driving...

Originally posted by Bluerobot
I'd just left work yesterday evening and was on the Parramatta road, one of the busiest roads in Australia, when I noticed that a spider was scuttling up the windscreen. It was a horrible looking thing, about 2 inches across and brown in colour, with pretty fat legs. I'm not a big fan of spiders, but wasn't too concerned as I'd assumed it was on the outside of the windscreen. As it got to the top of the windscreen, I was expecting it to dissapear onto the roof. It didn't, and I could see its legs on the roof lining. To my horror it then dawned on me that it was inside the car and was sat looking at me about 8 inches from my face.

Trying not to panic, I turned off, trying to find somewhere to stop. The nearest place was Burwood Westfield shopping centre. Unfortunately, it has loads of speed bumps, so I was gingerly driving over them, trying not to dislodge it, if it had fallen on my face I would have died. Eventually, I found a parking space, parked up & abandoned the car as fast as I could. Got as few funny looks from the locals. I took a picture, then managed to get it out of the car before stomping on it. Anyone know what type it is?

Dave

thought it was groundhog day then

i think it is a huntsman which are quite an aggresive spider and to be avoided.
:scared:

Old Sep 28th 2003, 11:43 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a huntsman. They love cars and scare the shit out of poms.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I take it you would not have coped well the time we had a small brown (but lethal) snake curled up under the drivers seat then, I can still hear those words, "Mum theres something brown curled up under your seat, I think its a snake.

Kids have never left the car doors open again.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:28 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I can't really tell from the pic, to me it does not look like a Huntsman (PS Huntsmen are not aggressive) . And no it's not a redback either.lol

Your picture is too blury to really identify it..
Here is a pic of a Huntsman ... did it look a bit like this?
Attached Thumbnails Funny thing happened when driving...-huntsman-2.jpg  

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 29th 2003 at 3:33 am.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:30 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Another shot.. for size
Attached Thumbnails Funny thing happened when driving...-huntsman1.jpg  
Old Sep 29th 2003, 11:04 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Dave, Kims is right, you are very unlucky with your vehicles at the moment, i'm not getting in a car with you EVER again!! YUK!
Old Sep 29th 2003, 11:31 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Thats definatly dome breed of huntsman.

Pretty common out there. And beleive it or not i had a similar experience to you.

I was driving, the wife was in the passenger seat. All of a sudden she started shreiking and i nearly crashed, nearly crapped meself too.

She had pulled down the sunshade and a huntsman had fallen on her lap. Screamed so loud and hard i thought it was somthing serious !!

Pete.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 11:49 am
Badge

Imagine the scene:

A group of happy people drinking outside in the balmy night in Alice Springs.

All of a sudden I look down to my lap as I can feel something there.

A spider has crawled up my leg and has just got to my lap!!!!

I jumped about 2 feet and ran round the courtyard. It climbed up the wall and sat there for a few hours.

Turned out to be a "baby" Huntsman.

badge

Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:08 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

STOPPIT WILL YOU! I am getting more and more terrfied reading these posts!:scared:

I was slowly trying to come to terms with the issue of all things deadly in Oz, but all this talk of amputations/car terror and of course the lovely pictures have me right back to square one!!

My Auntie has lived in Oz for 20 yrs and was always a complete bug phobic even in this country( I am not actually that bothered by our spiders but they hardly compare). She told me last year that she's never seen a spider tho her husband has seen quite a few and was bitten by a huntsman he was trying to get out of the bath one time (apparently it "smarted a bit"!!). I was incredibly reassured by her words, they even lived right in the bush in the blue mountains where funnel webs and the like are notorious but no, not a one according to her.

Having read all your recent posts, I reckon she's either lying through her teeth or completely bloody blind. IN retrospect she even said at xmas " I wish Emma could see a huntsman, just so she knows what they look like" Ok, so blind-barking-bloody-mad-compulsive-liar would be better description then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.