Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

function rooms sydney - please help!!

function rooms sydney - please help!!

Old May 12th 2010, 2:48 am
Just Joined

IMB38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default function rooms sydney - please help!!

Hi Guys,

I’m getting married in December 2011 (a bit far away I know) but im looking into venues that we can go to after we’ve had our reception. We’re hiring a boat until about 9pm but we want somewhere after we can go to. I don’t want to have to pay a lot as the boat is costing enough!!

So ideally, we want somewhere that we could say, look there is about 50 of us coming, can we section a bit off. So venues with an outside area or small bit that could be sectioned off woudl be good. Or even better somewhere that has a free room we can hire! We don’t want food or a DJ, we’ll be bringing our own ipod.

Ideally we want the venue close to the city, if not in the city, for ease for the guests.

We’re going over to Sydney in June to have a look at boats so if you have any suggestions of venues to check out that would be great!!

Thank you

Emma x
Old May 13th 2010, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: function rooms sydney - please help!!

Originally Posted by IMB38
Hi Guys,

I’m getting married in December 2011 (a bit far away I know) but im looking into venues that we can go to after we’ve had our reception. We’re hiring a boat until about 9pm but we want somewhere after we can go to. I don’t want to have to pay a lot as the boat is costing enough!!

So ideally, we want somewhere that we could say, look there is about 50 of us coming, can we section a bit off. So venues with an outside area or small bit that could be sectioned off woudl be good. Or even better somewhere that has a free room we can hire! We don’t want food or a DJ, we’ll be bringing our own ipod.

Ideally we want the venue close to the city, if not in the city, for ease for the guests.

We’re going over to Sydney in June to have a look at boats so if you have any suggestions of venues to check out that would be great!!

Thank you

Emma x
As somebody who did function DJ'ing in the UK for 13 years, I think you'll find it hard to get a free room without having their buffet - that's generally how they make up for giving you the room free.

On the DJ side....I would be very supprised if your guests would enjoy listening to your music all night. Hiring a good DJ that can judge the guests and play the right music at the right time can be the difference between a good night and a bad one.

You should be enjoying your wedding reception, not worrying the about the music and where the iPod is up to. The worst weddings I did, were those that they give me a great big long play list and expected every song to be played in order. yes, its a good idea to let teh DJ know what you like and obviously to give him teh CD of teh music you want for your first dance together, but I think you should reconsider your plans.

PS - I don't DJ anymore, so not looking for work, just wanted to offer you a bit of advice from the hundreds of weddings I have DJ'ed at.
Old May 13th 2010, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I've investigated a few places in Sydney when I was running a small expo up there. Try some of the pubs around Surry Hills - I think it's The Dolphin who had quite a good function room or an upstairs bar they could seal off but as the OP said you might have to do a food deal with them to get the room but as far as I can remember they were reasonable.

If you get stuck send me a PM as I have caterer friends in Sydney and they've worked at lots of venues which is just hired space.

Studio24 in The Rocks would be brilliant but I think a little pricey. If you Google function venues in Sydney there are a few directory websites which might help. Shame you are not in Melbourne as I know lots of places down here which we've shot weddings at!

Good luck!

KK
Old May 14th 2010, 8:43 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd hit a surf club. They usually have a bar, dance floor, booze and DJ ability... went to a great party last year at a surf club on the north shore... fab.
Old May 14th 2010, 12:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I'd hit a surf club. They usually have a bar, dance floor, booze and DJ ability... went to a great party last year at a surf club on the north shore... fab.
You are aggressive, aren't you?
Old May 14th 2010, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You are aggressive, aren't you?
*snort*

Old May 15th 2010, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

We had our wedding reception in The Argyle in the Rocks district. We were really happy with the venue. It a bit expensive, but then we had a sit down meal. It would be much cheaper if you just had a buffet, I imagine.

I have attached one of our wedding photos from there. Believe it or not, those things behind us are urinals!

ETA: Sorry, tried to upload photo, but can't get it to work.

Last edited by LaLaLayla; May 15th 2010 at 3:32 am.
Old May 15th 2010, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Bambi in Sydney
Believe it or not, those things behind us are urinals!

[/I]

I don't think you're being that successful selling this venue somehow...
Old May 15th 2010, 6:25 am

How do I upload the pic?

W2407-460.jpg
Click on 'Quote'.

The reply box comes up and if you scroll down, you'll see 'Attach Files' and in that box 'Manage attachments'. Click on that.
A new window will open and you can browse your computer for the shot, or upload it from another web page. Click 'browse' to upload it from your computer.
Once chosen click on 'Upload' and we will all get a chance to admire the urinals.
Old May 15th 2010, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Click on 'Quote'.

The reply box comes up and if you scroll down, you'll see 'Attach Files' and in that box 'Manage attachments'. Click on that.
A new window will open and you can browse your computer for the shot, or upload it from another web page. Click 'browse' to upload it from your computer.
Once chosen click on 'Upload' and we will all get a chance to admire the urinals.
Thanks!
Old May 15th 2010, 7:08 am

Are you still friends with your photographer, Bambi? They look like giant pint glasses.
Old May 15th 2010, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Are you still friends with your photographer, Bambi? They look like giant pint glasses.
Yes, they do, don't they? Better than a photo of us superimposed onto one of those little Champagne glasses I guess...
Old May 15th 2010, 7:22 am

Yes, they do, don't they? Better than a photo of us superimposed onto one of those little Champagne glasses I guess...

yes some of those are atrocious. Your oh doesn't look so comfortable. Can't think why.
Old May 15th 2010, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Not Sydney CBD - about 40 minutes North

This place is amazing - but may be a bit on the expensive side:

http://www.berowrawatersinn.com/cont...cialEvents.php

You can fly there in a seaplane or take a boat.

Really, really, really special.
Old May 15th 2010, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

If you are getting married in December (warm evenings) then maybe you could have a free outdoor event afterwards.

Dare I suggest a BBQ picnic on a beach somewhere

The Chinese Garden of Friendship in Darling Harbour would be gorgeous – but I think it is expensive – although what is your definition of expensive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.