Wikiposts

Fuel !

Old May 26th 2004, 7:40 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
se·man·tics The meaning or the interpretation of a word, sentence, or other language form:

what i am saying is that motormouth.com.au sent out incorrect information, giving brisbane prices but saying they were adelaide, and showing the adelaide prices against brisbane.

they made a mistake. its not an interpretation question.

i wasnt referring to your Illustrious comments or indeed questioning your resourcefulness...
Old May 26th 2004, 8:02 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
i wasnt referring to your Illustrious comments or indeed questioning your resourcefulness...
then may i ask you to explain what you were saying ?

what did "pure semantics..." refer to ?

and when I said
"actually i have just noticed - the lowest prise for brisbane was stated as being 85.5. yet the cheapest brisbane fuel station had an average price of 78.2 for the month.

i'm just wondering if they got adelaide and brisbane the wrong way round on the original email
you replied with:

Its worth noting :
average price of 78.2 for the month

Average for the month ... etc etc etc i wont explain the maths
and you never replied to my
"i think i do need the maths explained today, i thought the average was between the lowest and the highest."
other than saying
"85.5 is the average price in Brisbane for THAT month.
78.2 is the average price for that gas station in THAT month."
even though your original figures showed the average for Brisbane being 92.4c and the Lowest being 85.5c

and THAT is the point I am trying to make. The original figures were incorrect, and that is my only point.
The Brisbane figures should have been:

Average - 83.3
Lowest - 75.8
Highest - 95.7

I don't think that is an "Illustrious comment", just a correction. And not correcting your figures, but the figures from the company that send us the emails with the figures on.

Old May 26th 2004, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Anyone else noticed, but as the price of petrol increases, then the pumps seem to run that bit slower?

Is this a psychological ruse on the part of the garage to make you think you are still getting loads of petrol cos you are at the pump for 10 minutes to get your $20 worth of fuel, whereas the week before it only took 5 minutes?
Old May 26th 2004, 8:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Trevglas
Anyone else noticed, but as the price of petrol increases, then the pumps seem to run that bit slower?

Is this a psychological ruse on the part of the garage to make you think you are still getting loads of petrol cos you are at the pump for 10 minutes to get your $20 worth of fuel, whereas the week before it only took 5 minutes?
i hadn't noticed it myself, but it sounds like a good ploy, to try to make you feel a bit better

Old May 26th 2004, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fuel !

Best price I got was 94 with the woolies voucher so 98 without. That was in the wifes car and when I fill mine with 98 ron premium it's well over the dollar / litre these days. I can't remember normal unleaded going under a 90c in well over a month...

That motormouth site isn't very good either. Think it used to be called something else but recognise the layout...
Old May 26th 2004, 8:33 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

then may i ask you to explain what you were saying ?

what did "pure semantics..." refer to ?

and when I said you replied with:

and you never replied to my
other than saying
even though your original figures showed the average for Brisbane being 92.4c and the Lowest being 85.5c

and THAT is the point I am trying to make. The original figures were incorrect, and that is my only point.
The Brisbane figures should have been:

Average - 83.3
Lowest - 75.8
Highest - 95.7

I don't think that is an "Illustrious comment", just a correction. And not correcting your figures, but the figures from the company that send us the emails with the figures on.

Ok you argumentative bugger !

The figures indicated a low, average and a high price. For all petrol prices of a particular type within a particular area for 1 month.

The figure below, in the initial email was for ONE garages average pump price for that Month.

Thats Maths the fact you and I are quibbling over this is Semantics !

And if we need to do definitions heres one

1. semantics •pl. n. (100%)
the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning.

You neither demonstrated LOGIC or commended meaning. Your pure retort is argument !

1. argument •n. (100%)
a heated exchange of diverging or opposite views.

1. picky (100%)
•adj. (pickier, pickiest) informal fastidious, especially excessively so.

Anyway enough of this Magniloquence !
Old May 26th 2004, 9:06 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
Ok you argumentative bugger !

The figures indicated a low, average and a high price. For all petrol prices of a particular type within a particular area for 1 month.
Timber

Your statement " in the initial email was for ONE garages average pump price for that Month." is wrong. I think you have missed the point I am trying to make.

The original email said: "The average, lowest and the highest prices for last month in each city were:" These figures are city wide, not just one station.

Adelaide
Average - 83.3
Lowest - 75.8
Highest - 95.7

Brisbane
Average - 92.4
Lowest - 85.5
Highest - 101.7

My point is that those figures were wrong. Brisbane prices should be lower than Adelaide.

motormouth.com.com previously known as fuelwatch, put the Adelaide prices against the Brisbane heading, and vice versa. simple as that.

You said: "You neither demonstrated LOGIC or commended meaning. Your pure retort is argument !"
My logic is based on checking the figures, my "retort" is explaining that the original figures are wrong.

Or are you saying that Brisbane prices are higher than Adelaide ?

Please re-read these posts, and try to see what I have been saying.

in my first post I actually said:
"actually i have just noticed - the lowest prise for brisbane was stated as being 85.5. yet the cheapest brisbane fuel station had an average price of 78.2 for the month.

i'm just wondering if they got adelaide and brisbane the wrong way round on the original email "

This quote seemed itself pretty self explanatory.
If the lowest price in Brisbane was 85.5, how could any one station have an "average" that is 7c lower than the lowest price in the area ? That made me check the original figures for accuracy.

My only reason to continue this is because you seem to be arguing that I am wrong ! But Maths is Maths, and the facts speak for themselves. motormouth seem to have made a mistake.

Old May 26th 2004, 9:59 pm
Banned

Timber

Your statement " in the initial email was for ONE garages average pump price for that Month." is wrong. I think you have missed the point I am trying to make.

The original email said: "The average, lowest and the highest prices for last month in each city were:" These figures are city wide, not just one station.

Adelaide
Average - 83.3
Lowest - 75.8
Highest - 95.7

Brisbane
Average - 92.4
Lowest - 85.5
Highest - 101.7

My point is that those figures were wrong. Brisbane prices should be lower than Adelaide.

motormouth.com.com previously known as fuelwatch, put the Adelaide prices against the Brisbane heading, and vice versa. simple as that.

You said: "You neither demonstrated LOGIC or commended meaning. Your pure retort is argument !"
My logic is based on checking the figures, my "retort" is explaining that the original figures are wrong.

Or are you saying that Brisbane prices are higher than Adelaide ?

Please re-read these posts, and try to see what I have been saying.

in my first post I actually said:

i'm just wondering if they got adelaide and brisbane the wrong way round on the original email "

This quote seemed itself pretty self explanatory.
If the lowest price in Brisbane was 85.5, how could any one station have an "average" that is 7c lower than the lowest price in the area ? That made me check the original figures for accuracy.

My only reason to continue this is because you seem to be arguing that I am wrong ! But Maths is Maths, and the facts speak for themselves. motormouth seem to have made a mistake.

Points well taken and received.

I agree the adelaide and brissy figures are swapped. That is in itself obvious now, and thanks for pointing it out.

The maths issue was the point i was referring to.

However In an effort to resume normal daily life

I shall go and fill my vans up