Reload this Page >

Urgent Advice : IT Graduate

Urgent Advice : IT Graduate

Old May 25th 2004, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

sunnypl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Urgent Advice : IT Graduate

Hi Friends,

I am sunny and just got Australian PR recently.I will be panning to go next month.

I am IT postgradute and have 7 years of experience in Java/J2ee/ETL/Otacle stuff .
All my experience is in U.S and worked two years in Australia.

Anybody know , hows the IT job market in Australia and usually how long it takes normally to find job !

Thanks
sunny
Old May 25th 2004, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

subscribe to jobserve.com.au or jobnet.com.au or some such thing. Chuck in your job skills and see what comes back.

The market is better than it was. Your pay will be rubbish in comparison with US/UK/Europe, so if thats a consideration...unlucky.

Useless agents will decide when/if you can have an interview. That could take time.
Old May 26th 2004, 6:11 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by RichS
The market is better than it was. Your pay will be rubbish in comparison with US/UK/Europe, so if thats a consideration...unlucky.
I think that's a little unfair. Salaries in Oz are a bit lower than in the UK, but not *that* much lower, say around 10% less. Then of course you have to compare this with the relative costs of living, which is a very tricky calculation as it depends greatly on where you live and what you spend your money on.

I can't compare with US or Europe though.

Anyway, sunny, your skills are in demand so you should be ok. It's not as though you're trying to get a job writing COBOL (apologies to all the COBOL programmers here!)
Old May 26th 2004, 6:18 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Anyway, sunny, your skills are in demand so you should be ok. It's not as though you're trying to get a job writing COBOL (apologies to all the COBOL programmers here!)
Any COBOL programmers here?
I keep running in to bits of code written in the dark ages, and I'm expected to solve what's going wrong! If only there were a COBOL coder I could tap.
(Yes I know it's legible code, but still it takes a long time to grasp what's happening when I can't rely on instinct).
Old May 26th 2004, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JulesandChris
Any COBOL programmers here?
I keep running in to bits of code written in the dark ages, and I'm expected to solve what's going wrong! If only there were a COBOL coder I could tap.
(Yes I know it's legible code, but still it takes a long time to grasp what's happening when I can't rely on instinct).
I've been a COBOL programmer for over twenty years and I've never been out of work - it just keeps on coming.

Some little pipsqueak told me 15 years ago that COBOL would be dead within a couple of years. Ha ha ha.
Old May 26th 2004, 9:12 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by nickyc
I've been a COBOL programmer for over twenty years and I've never been out of work - it just keeps on coming.

Some little pipsqueak told me 15 years ago that COBOL would be dead within a couple of years. Ha ha ha.
COBOL++ now isn't it? Or COBOL#? How about a COBOL-bean? (Not taking the p*ss here, BTW. Just pointing out the old "adapt and survive".)
Old May 26th 2004, 11:56 am
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been a COBOL Analyst/Programmer for 17 years now, although I've just taken it off of my CV because COBOL jobs are rarer than hens teeth these days and I'm trying to distance myself from skills that have become unmarketable

If anyone wants any COBOL consultancy then I would be pleased to advise you of my contracting rates
Old May 26th 2004, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Nice to see there's still a few of us old Cobolers around.

Mind you managed to become an Oracle DBA so I'd probably be a bit rusty by now.
Old May 26th 2004, 2:11 pm
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by Nibbs
Nice to see there's still a few of us old Cobolers around.

Mind you managed to become an Oracle DBA so I'd probably be a bit rusty by now.
Interesting to see how many IT-ers in general there are on this forum (and I mean the implementers, not the users, i.e. people who could for the sake of argument apply for ACS membership). Are we perhaps the best-represented group? Maybe time for a poll?
Old May 26th 2004, 5:14 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe time for a poll?
Poll? did someone say a poll? where is it?
actually it is not me thats the IT bod , it's Mr W. I suppose he would count, currently MBCS CITP (BCS).
Old May 26th 2004, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by walaj
Poll? did someone say a poll? where is it?
actually it is not me thats the IT bod , it's Mr W. I suppose he would count, currently MBCS CITP (BCS).
Seriously though, whats the IT industry like in Oz at the moment.

I'm a C++ guy, 14 years experience, yeah I can do the Java thing if required. Whats the market like,

Am I going to working on a Helpdesk:scared:

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 26th 2004, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JackTheLad

Cheers,
JTL
not unless you're gonna relocate from Oz to India
Old May 26th 2004, 9:38 pm
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by JackTheLad
Seriously though, whats the IT industry like in Oz at the moment.

I'm a C++ guy, 14 years experience, yeah I can do the Java thing if required. Whats the market like,

Cheers,
JTL
I hope not, 'cos if you then I'm going to be sitting right next to you! You been peeking at my CV and lifting bits, have you?!
Old May 27th 2004, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I hope not, 'cos if you then I'm going to be sitting right next to you! You been peeking at my CV and lifting bits, have you?!
No no no, you wouldn't want to do that... :scared:

I was sitting next to Mr JTL at work 3 years ago and ended up marrying him! LOL!!!

Mrs JTL