Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fruit & veges - the green stuff

Fruit & veges - the green stuff

Old Feb 20th 2004, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fruit & veges - the green stuff

Haven't posted for a while but I remember spending ages checking websites to figure out the price of food before we left the UK (Was it really cheaper than Tesco? How much dosh will we need for food? etc etc) so thought this might interest someone...

The fruit & veges are definitely cheaper here in Melbourne than in London - and fresher too as many are grown actually in this country.

Just found the bill for a mini fruit & veg shop we did:

Half a pumpkin
1 pineapple (very sweet and ripe and yummy)
Bunch of bananas
4 apples
2 oranges
1 mango
Strawberries - 500g
3 passionfruit
3 green peppers
Bag of green salad leaves
Ginger

Cost $17.80 which I make about £7.75. Way cheaper than our Tesco was for sure.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

yummy

I will be round tonight for dinner . When I was in Aus I had trouble cutting up a mango is there an aussie trick to this Jolyn?
Old Feb 20th 2004, 10:14 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Debs, cut down both sides of the stone so you have a big sliver shaped like half a peach. Cut the flesh down & across in a crisscross pattern. You can then either then *turn* it inside out & bite it off, or use a spoon to scoop it out of the skin in squares. The stone part you can just peel & then either bite/suck the flesh off or cut it if you want it for a salad or something.

Oh & dont forget if its a ripe mango, you will probably need to sit in a bath to start with .
Old Feb 20th 2004, 10:46 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Old Feb 20th 2004, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Debs, cut down both sides of the stone so you have a big sliver shaped like half a peach. Cut the flesh down & across in a crisscross pattern. You can then either then *turn* it inside out & bite it off, or use a spoon to scoop it out of the skin in squares. The stone part you can just peel & then either bite/suck the flesh off or cut it if you want it for a salad or something.

Oh & dont forget if its a ripe mango, you will probably need to sit in a bath to start with .
Thanks Mrs D. When I get there I will get you to show me
Old Feb 20th 2004, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Until i came to live here i had always maintained that i did not like fruit.

I have made a remarkable discovery....I do!!!...i just didnt like bad, bland cardboard tasting fruit i had in UK and NZ.

My husband has always been a big fruit eater so i just bought heaps of it at hte market for his sake. One day a few weeks back, i walked past the fruit bowl and could smell the peaches so decided t take a bite out of one. That was it!!...i was hooked....poor Bill now has to hide it all from me
Old Feb 20th 2004, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

PP - i think that they squirt something over the fruit and veg in the UK to make it last longer.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 11:19 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fruit & veges - the green stuff

Originally posted by Jolyn
Haven't posted for a while but I remember spending ages checking websites to figure out the price of food before we left the UK (Was it really cheaper than Tesco? How much dosh will we need for food? etc etc) so thought this might interest someone...

The fruit & veges are definitely cheaper here in Melbourne than in London - and fresher too as many are grown actually in this country.

Just found the bill for a mini fruit & veg shop we did:

Half a pumpkin
1 pineapple (very sweet and ripe and yummy)
Bunch of bananas
4 apples
2 oranges
1 mango
Strawberries - 500g
3 passionfruit
3 green peppers
Bag of green salad leaves
Ginger

Cost $17.80 which I make about £7.75. Way cheaper than our Tesco was for sure.
hi
I have just been in Sainsburys and to buy that lot would cost you about £13!!! and from memory the fruit and veg is must lusher over there!!!
cant wait!!

sue
Old Feb 20th 2004, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

ssmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum

I have made a remarkable discovery....I do!!!...i just didnt like bad, bland cardboard tasting fruit i had in UK and NZ.

My husband has always been a big fruit eater so i just bought heaps of it at hte market for his sake. One day a few weeks back, i walked past the fruit bowl and could smell the peaches so decided t take a bite out of one. That was it!!...i was hooked....poor Bill now has to hide it all from me
Never liked Mangos till we came here totally different taste to UK and Aussie pineapple and melons also bear no resemblence to bland and boring UK fruit, they taste wonderful here.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 1:40 pm
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

also, in oz the EU isn't trying to standardise the size on bananas and ensure oranges are the right shade of 'orange'.

fruit comes in all shapes and sizes (like other things..) but we are being conditioned to only buy homogenous shaped produce.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

countyfan is an unknown quantity at this point

what about strawberies and raspberries in Queensland?
( I'm an Atkins dieter!!!!!) LOL
Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:14 pm
Gremlin

Originally posted by flying dutchman
also, in oz the EU isn't trying to standardise the size on bananas and ensure oranges are the right shade of 'orange'.

fruit comes in all shapes and sizes (like other things..) but we are being conditioned to only buy homogenous shaped produce.
This was a lot of anti-EU hysterical nonsense whipped up by the tabloids and related to the curvature of bananas; none of it was true. Of greater importance was the potential trade war with the USA regarding Europe's closed-shop import of bananas from its former colonies and the commonwealth countries, and its refusal to trade with the Americas.

http://www.cec.org.uk/press/myths/myth05.htm

Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:27 pm
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

Keith & val,
I am aware of the accusations thrown at the EU about banana shapes (i am in fact very pro-EU), but it does not detract from the fact that UK supermarkets seek homogenous and aesthetically pleasing produce.

Most of my formative years were spent living in Lisbon, Portugal where the fruit is excellent. What sells there though, wouldn't make it into sainsburys here.

I picked up an orange recently in a service station. It had been packeged in see-thru plastic (lexan), was hung on a rack of similar shaped/corloured oranges, branded and called a 'delicious citrus snack'! Marketing gone mad. Oh, and it cost about a £1!!

Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:40 pm
Gremlin

Originally posted by flying dutchman
Keith & val,
I am aware of the accusations thrown at the EU about banana shapes (i am in fact very pro-EU), but it does not detract from the fact that UK supermarkets seek homogenous and aesthetically pleasing produce.

Most of my formative years were spent living in Lisbon, Portugal where the fruit is excellent. What sells there though, wouldn't make it into sainsburys here.

I picked up an orange recently in a service station. It had been packeged in see-thru plastic (lexan), was hung on a rack of similar shaped/corloured oranges, branded and called a 'delicious citrus snack'! Marketing gone mad. Oh, and it cost about a £1!!

I was only referring to the first part of your post; I agree entirely with the remainder of your post.

Unfortunately the homogenised, consumer-friendly looking products favoured by supermarkets don't seem to taste of very much either.

Keith

Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:54 pm
EEL
Forum Regular

EEL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum

I agree with the difference in fruit in the UK and in Oz.

I used to eat several pieces of fruit a day when I lived in Oz. Now I am living in the UK I have to force myself to eat several pieces a week as they all so tastless or picked too soon. I have resorted to snacking on junk food and as a result I am 2 stone heavier then when I arrived 6 years ago!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.