Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FRUIT PICKING FOOL?

FRUIT PICKING FOOL?

Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:39 pm
Moonbeast

ktyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nice
Default FRUIT PICKING FOOL?

Hi,
Before I ask my question here is a brief overview of me.
I am currently in the UK, I have a permanent resident visa for Oz, I am male, single, age 51, and I have had one hell of a time securing a job in Oz, even after a couple of visits (one for 10 months, the other for 3 months) and several interviews...probably because of the ageist attitude of many employers their. I have a good job in the UK (aircraft production industry), and I am intelligent and have good qualifications.
Anyway, I was considering just packing in all of that in and buying a camper in Oz, living in it, and earning a living picking fruit. I am not at my peak fitness by any means but I have always been able to 'get back in shape' reasonably easily after a couple of months working out.
I believe fruit picking is hard work and I am looking for advice or other peoples experience regards a life living in a camper combined with being a roving fruit picker: or at least one or other of those two.
Anyone out there with similar situation? Anyone else out there who is doing that now, or has done it?
Help me please people.

Last edited by ktyler1961; Feb 19th 2013 at 8:43 pm. Reason: Forgot to put in the thread.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FRUIT PICKING FOOL?

Funny enough i was camping recently and pitched next to a family who camp round the country fruit picking and any other work they can find. They had one of those enormous army tents, and all mod cons. They were a family of mum , dad and two grown up sons (one said he was 18 , but i was a bit skeptical). They seemed a nice hardworking family and done the fruit picking in shifts , they said the brought home around $900 per week. They stayed until they were moved on (by police or council), as they are not allowed to be permanent. They were telling us it takes around a week for them to pack up their stuff.
They also said they had being doing this for 3 years and 'used to have a house', but i didn't want to enquire further.

Goodluck, it would certainly be an adventure.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 11:57 pm
journey from here to here

puna will become famous soon enough

alot of the fruit picking places provides accommodation so if you just buy a car would do it.
I used to pick all sorts; mostly around Shepparton Victoria and NSW .
you don't have to be very fit .Pick as much as you like but it has to a reasonable amount otherwise you take the accommodation of someone who can work hard and the employer may not be happy .
I was making 80-100$ cash a day in 1998-99 for a 6-7 hour day and was one of the bottom guys.
some fit guys were making 300-400$ after tax a day for a 9 hour picking.
half of the guys i saw were over 40 .
living on the orchard is not a problem it is a private property as long as the owner doesn't mind .
Old Feb 20th 2013, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

This site will tell you all you need to know about the fruit picking game, what's in season, who's hireing, pay rates and accommodation.

Good Luck.

http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/
Old Feb 20th 2013, 11:57 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
This site will tell you all you need to know about the fruit picking game, what's in season, who's hireing, pay rates and accommodation.

Good Luck.

http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/
omg im suddenly interested. must have hot guys there!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:37 pm
Moonbeast

ktyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Funny enough i was camping recently and pitched next to a family who camp round the country fruit picking and any other work they can find. They had one of those enormous army tents, and all mod cons. They were a family of mum , dad and two grown up sons (one said he was 18 , but i was a bit skeptical). They seemed a nice hardworking family and done the fruit picking in shifts , they said the brought home around $900 per week. They stayed until they were moved on (by police or council), as they are not allowed to be permanent. They were telling us it takes around a week for them to pack up their stuff.
They also said they had being doing this for 3 years and 'used to have a house', but i didn't want to enquire further.

Goodluck, it would certainly be an adventure.
Thanks for your reply Margaret. When you say bringing home $900 a week do you mean between the four of them? If so, that would be about one days work a week wouldn't it?
Thanks
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:40 pm
Moonbeast

Originally Posted by puna
alot of the fruit picking places provides accommodation so if you just buy a car would do it.
I used to pick all sorts; mostly around Shepparton Victoria and NSW .
you don't have to be very fit .Pick as much as you like but it has to a reasonable amount otherwise you take the accommodation of someone who can work hard and the employer may not be happy .
I was making 80-100$ cash a day in 1998-99 for a 6-7 hour day and was one of the bottom guys.
some fit guys were making 300-400$ after tax a day for a 9 hour picking.
half of the guys i saw were over 40 .
living on the orchard is not a problem it is a private property as long as the owner doesn't mind .
Cheers mate for that
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:46 pm
Moonbeast

Thanks a lot for the info Hino, I appreciate it
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

There's plenty of casual farm work around, for all ages. Attitude is more important than fitness. Can you drive a tractor? That would be a great help too. Have a look on Gumtree, agri & vet jobs, for the areas you're interested in. Harvesttrail is good for general info but not for specific jobs. We used to provide accommodation but own vehicle is a must.

Good luck.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:21 am
Moonbeast

Thanks jothefw, I appreciate your help and advice.
Yes, I was actually thinking that attitude is just as, if not more, important than fitness. I have an abundance of good attitude, I'm a happy go lucky fella, and I suppose the fitness will come in time with the work.
I haven't ever driven a tractor but I am very confident that I will be able to do so no problem after 35 years of driving: I'm sure there is a knack to it. I will probably give that a go before I leave here actually.
Thanks again mate

Last edited by ktyler1961; Feb 21st 2013 at 6:22 am. Reason: I wrote 'before I leave her' instead of 'before I leave here'. Freudian slip?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 7:26 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ktyler1961
Thanks jothefw, I appreciate your help and advice.
Yes, I was actually thinking that attitude is just as, if not more, important than fitness. I have an abundance of good attitude, I'm a happy go lucky fella, and I suppose the fitness will come in time with the work.
I haven't ever driven a tractor but I am very confident that I will be able to do so no problem after 35 years of driving: I'm sure there is a knack to it. I will probably give that a go before I leave here actually.
Thanks again mate
I know a few folks that travel up & down the East coast in Campers/caravans following the fruit picking. They pick all sorts Mangoes up in the North, Tomatoes in Bundaberg, Oranges & citrus out near Gayndah then South to pick stone fruit in NSW & Victoria. They used to come to the little club close to where I live while they picked Mangoes for a local farmer. They even picked onions out near Ipswich one year.
I haven't seen them for a couple of years they may have found something more profitable to pick elsewhere.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:49 am
Just Joined

danec is an unknown quantity at this point

I've read your other thread about difficulty getting 'mainstream' job in Australia and I can understand your frustration.

However, if your motive to do fruit picking job is just to get a job, settle down under and not under financial pressure, have you ever considered some labourer, manufacturing jobs? I know some company like Chandler Macleod (I'm not advertising here, just the only that I know but there're several around) is contracted by several manufacturer and distribution centre to employ staff on casual basis. If you're applying and showing genuine interest, they might take you on board and it's becoming easy then. General pay rate is around 20+, with more for night and weekend so you can survive by working for 3-4 days a week. Quite a few people I work with have had good job but got redundant so they turn to this job so it shouldn't be too hard to get in, just don't make your resume overqualified.

But if you want to do farm job to explore the country, just ignore what I just said!
Old Feb 24th 2013, 12:29 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ktyler1961
Thanks for your reply Margaret. When you say bringing home $900 a week do you mean between the four of them? If so, that would be about one days work a week wouldn't it?
Thanks
They earned around 900 per week between the 4 of them, but they were usually back at the camp around 12 midday (the left around 5.30-6am)
Old Feb 24th 2013, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
They earned around 900 per week between the 4 of them, but they were usually back at the camp around 12 midday (the left around 5.30-6am)
It was a happier, easier, life. The only thing I have to pick now is opinions on BE....

I'll get my coat....
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 3:55 pm
Moonbeast

Thanks to everyone who replied, some good info and advice there