Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

frosty windscreen!

frosty windscreen!

Old Jun 16th 2003, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough
Default frosty windscreen!

I had ice on my windscreen this morning! Now that is a rarity here, happened about twice last winter! Just letting you know that it gets cold here at night, and house has no heating, first time I have ever used an electric blanket! Not complaining though, I love cool crisp mornings.

Mandy
Old Jun 16th 2003, 2:09 pm
Badge

Default Re: frosty windscreen!

my cousin and I used to stand outside on the sundeck in our coats at midnight and drink one last beer before we hit the sack...

at the time his wife's muslim parents were visiting so we had to hid the alcohol in his wardrobe. but he did serve up some rather nice fizzy "fruit juice" at dinner...

badgers

Old Jun 16th 2003, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
I had ice on my windscreen this morning! Now that is a rarity here, happened about twice last winter! Just letting you know that it gets cold here at night, and house has no heating, first time I have ever used an electric blanket! Not complaining though, I love cool crisp mornings.

Mandy

Yeah, my dad told me that when my parents were 10 pound poms back in the 60's that he would get ice on his windscreen in Melbourne.....that put me right off choosing there!!! Hence my decision to go to Perth but I recently read a post about it getting cold there at night too, I think I can live with that though as it gets cold in Florida too in Winter for a couple of weeks.

Wannabe Wallaby
Old Jun 16th 2003, 2:59 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WannabeWallaby
Yeah, my dad told me that when my parents were 10 pound poms back in the 60's that he would get ice on his windscreen in Melbourne.....that put me right off choosing there!!! Hence my decision to go to Perth but I recently read a post about it getting cold there at night too, I think I can live with that though as it gets cold in Florida too in Winter for a couple of weeks.

Wannabe Wallaby
we get ice on the windows here in adelaide ,couple of mornings in july, perth would,nt be much different,,,,,,,,,, MM
Old Jun 16th 2003, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr mover
we get ice on the windows here in adelaide ,couple of mornings in july, perth would,nt be much different,,,,,,,,,, MM

Yikes! Thanks for the tip...I'll purchase a few more woollies before I go! I don't mind a bit of a chill as it makes a change from the humidity but on the whole I need to have HEAT!!!! Besides, I've got a year round summer wardrobe to consider.......

WW
Old Jun 16th 2003, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

You had better head for Brisbane if you don't want any frost, there isn't much chance of you getting it there. Brissy is about 1-2 deg C cooler then Florida on average each month ( comparing weather charts and Season to season)
I looked it up myself as I wanted to know if it was a similar climate.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 9:18 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by tinaj
You had better head for Brisbane if you don't want any frost, there isn't much chance of you getting it there. Brissy is about 1-2 deg C cooler then Florida on average each month ( comparing weather charts and Season to season)
I looked it up myself as I wanted to know if it was a similar climate.
We went on holiday to the gold and sunshine coasts last July and it was frosty in the morning a couple of times.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 9:53 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JWW
We went on holiday to the gold and sunshine coasts last July and it was frosty in the morning a couple of times.
Just finished my coffee and now watching the frost melt from the lawn (this is 50 kms North of Brisbane). In Brisbane and anywhere away from the coastal areas there will be frosts in winter. Thing is the cold snap lasts but a few days.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Yes it is a bit chilly at NIGHT in Brissy at the moment. Forecast was 23 max and 7 min yesterday, but my house with no heating was 18 when I went to bed last night 11:00pm and 14 when I got up this morning (07:00am), once the sun gets on it it soon warms up.

This is about as bad as it gets. I still go to work in just a shirt with no pullover or jacket or though most people are wearing something heavier. When I get home I switch to jeans and tee shirt and I'm still comfortable. If I was going to spend much time at night outside I would need something heavier.

Compare this with the frosts you get in England that go on for days (or is that weeks), I forget in winter. I like this time of year as it reminds me of England as it is the only season that approaches English type weather.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 11:39 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WannabeWallaby

Wannabe Wallaby
You are sad enough to think Perth and Florida have the same weather , dream on its bloody freezing at night in winter here.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jun 17th 2003 at 12:13 am.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
I like this time of year as it reminds me of England
You are missing home then Paul? Give it a couple of years and you will be one of the monsters of the site, calling people dreamers.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 12:16 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is a bit chilly at NIGHT in Brissy at the moment. Forecast was 23 max and 7 min yesterday, but my house with no heating was 18 when I went to bed last night 11:00pm and 14 when I got up this morning (07:00am), once the sun gets on it it soon warms up.

This is about as bad as it gets. I still go to work in just a shirt with no pullover or jacket or though most people are wearing something heavier. When I get home I switch to jeans and tee shirt and I'm still comfortable. If I was going to spend much time at night outside I would need something heavier.

Compare this with the frosts you get in England that go on for days (or is that weeks), I forget in winter. I like this time of year as it reminds me of England as it is the only season that approaches English type weather.
You are in need of help its bloody freezing in Perth at night down to 1.7c at the weekend , after the sun goes down you see no one outside and the smoke from wood burners chokes the air.

Old Jun 17th 2003, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You are in need of help its bloody freezing in Perth at night down to 1.7c at the weekend , after the sun goes down you see no one outside and the smoke from wood burners chokes the air.

So your getting aclimatized to what you will experience for 9 months of the year when you get back to Blighty.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 12:32 am
Banned

So your getting aclimatized to what you will experience for 9 months of the year when you get back to Blighty.
Yeah wood burners went with the arc in the UK plus the prats burn off the summer here also , I love the smell of burnt wood .

Old Jun 17th 2003, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, Brisbane is down to about English summer temperatures now. The last two days have been chillier than usual. I've been out on Straddie for three days - absolutely glorious weather, nippy nights but beautiful cloudless skies all day long. I even had a pre breakfast play in the Pacific surf this morning. Fan-bloody-tastic it was !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.