Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"to and from's" in Oz?

"to and from's" in Oz?

Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default "to and from's" in Oz?

I spoke with an Aussie over here in the Uk the other night and he's from Perth, and assures me there is many "to and from's" in Perth, and Australia in general.

I know this anyway but It got me thinking, Is there a form of Cockney Rhyming Slang in Oz?

I was looking through a few websites dedicated to Australian slang recently and found some of the conversions quite funny (Brown Eyed Mullet still tickles me ...lol), but this "too and from" is .......... well it's Cockney ennit ??

Just wondering ?!
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:52 pm
Badge

Default Re: "to and from's" in Oz?

Originally Posted by Jim2004
I spoke with an Aussie over here in the Uk the other night and he's from Perth, and assures me there is many "to and from's" in Perth, and Australia in general.

I know this anyway but It got me thinking, Is there a form of Cockney Rhyming Slang in Oz?

I was looking through a few websites dedicated to Australian slang recently and found some of the conversions quite funny (Brown Eyed Mullet still tickles me ...lol), but this "too and from" is .......... well it's Cockney ennit ??

Just wondering ?!
there are loads of Aussie sayings that could be Cockney slang - even if they are not London based in origin. You'll find Aussies use lots of London style speech which you'll be familiar with.

BM

Old Mar 18th 2005, 11:28 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Rhyming slang is used in Oz in a similar way to the way it is used in non-cockney UK. That is some of it may be cockney based while some of it is not. Also when used, the whole rhyme is typically said (with a few exceptions - like 'rabbbit'): real cockneys don't say the whole rhyme. For example, they would use 'rifle' for 'change', not 'rifle range'.

One I had to think about here was 'having a Wellie Boot' (although this may be related to 'give it wellie' or 'give her wellie' used in the UK).

One cockney rhyme used correctly across most of the English speaking world is 'You're a Burke', but most people a not aware of the rhyme and the true meaning (note that you've got to be able to say Berkshire like a cockney and know of an organisation in that county whose practice has been recently banned).

Regards
Alistair
Old Mar 19th 2005, 12:19 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
One cockney rhyme used correctly across most of the English speaking world is 'You're a Burke', but most people a not aware of the rhyme and the true meaning (note that you've got to be able to say Berkshire like a cockney and know of an organisation in that county whose practice has been recently banned).

Regards
Alistair
That's brilliant - really tickled me. My dad (a retired English teacher) is forever calling me a burke - can't wait to tell him the derivation of it. Anyway, must be off, need a tom tit.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 1:09 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Hutch
Anyway, must be off, need a tom tit.
Ewwwwe...too much detail :scared:

You are a dag boy

Old Mar 19th 2005, 4:31 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Ok that explains it all a bit, ta. I guess the 'to and from' bit is something the bloke made up himslef maybe ?! I've never heard ref to it before. A Pom yes, but never a 'to and from'

Hope to be out to Oz for a holiday in a few months so i'll be checkin to see if they all know the Bobby Moore

thanks all for the replies.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 5:00 am
ABCDiamond

It's all them "convicts", they brought the old lingo with them

I read something a while ago that was talking about many current "true blue" Aussie words and phrases that were also used in England in Dickens time, but are no longer used in England.

Old Mar 19th 2005, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's all them "convicts", they brought the old lingo with them
Yeah you could be right on that one ...lol

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I read something a while ago that was talking about many current "true blue" Aussie words and phrases that were also used in England in Dickens time, but are no longer used in England.
Well 'No worries' seems to get bantered about a fair bit by many Brits I come across so you could be right!
Old Mar 20th 2005, 9:36 am
Badge

The first time I heard "To and From" was from the vendor of our house, who used it when he was giveing me a tour around the garden on the final inspection.

Badge