Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

frightened of flying!

frightened of flying!

Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

fiona021 will become famous soon enoughfiona021 will become famous soon enough
Default frightened of flying!

Due to fly out on the 15th July or thereabouts and i am excited but the only thing putiing me off is that I hate flying with a passion. Thinking of trying hypnosis to help me. Anybody any tips or other suggestions?
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

YvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really nice
Default Re: frightened of flying!

Hi Fiona,

I too WAS scared of flying - in fact, make that terrified of flying. I found that this website helped me tons http://www.fearofflyinghelp.com/ I was so scared boarding some flights that I would be near tears. One time the check-in girl put us in seats 13A & B - I almost passed out there and then. I made the girl change our seats as I would have been uncomfortable the whole flight!! I'm a freak, I know!

I downloaded the audio to my ipod and listened to it as often as possible, normally on the bus on the way to/home from work. I can't tell you how much it helped me.

I am still a wee bit apprehensive about taking off but only because of the way the changes in the cabin pressure makes me feel. I now find it a pleasure to be in the air for the most part.

Also, flying to Oz is a far different flight to just going to Spain or Turkey etc. More room, better food(?!) and better entertainment.

Feel free to PM me if you want to have a private freak out!

You will be just fine, I promise. I hope this helps you.

Yvonne
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

I know I am freaking out. Everything reminds me of plane crashes just now. The film United 93 is advertised on tv and sky box office etc and I can feel the palpitations coming on. I look at planes in the sky all the time. Turning into a right weirdo. I may well just pm you. I always look at the air hostesses on flights and continually check their facial expressions to see if the flight I am on is possibly in trouble. I will check the site out though.

Thankyou.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

YvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really nice

I laughed out loud when I read that. Its' not funny but it is exactly what I used to do. If the air hostesses look calm then all is well, that's the rule isn't it?!

Yep, I also used to have massive amounts of palpitations about flying!

If you were scared of driving, your mind would make more of all the driving related things you see. Do you feel like it's a "sign"?? My husband used to take me along to Edinburgh airport to watch the planes taking off (his kind of therapy!) but I used to think the more I watched the planes the more likely it was that I would "jinx" the plane and make it fall out of the sky. How funny is that??

Two freaks think alike!

Yvonne
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Fiona,

I like yourself am terrified of flying. However, over the years I have conditioned myself not to think about the flight until I am seated in the aircraft. I loath and hate it. My heart races and I just cannot think straight, I am claustrophobic, I just hate it.

My uncle is really bad though, and living in Northern Ireland, he had to go to china last year on a flight which was 9 hours from Heathrow, he took valium which helped, but it is horrendous.

I reckon when we go to Oz, it will be a Singapore stop over,

All the best,

Crocodileseamus
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

I do think everything is a sign as such. I was watching Frasier the other day and saw an episode dedicated to the creators who died in the airplane crash in America and saw it as a sign. If a plane is really loud I look out my window expecting it to crash. When I went abroad the last time I think I screamed 'Jesus' at one point during turbulence where my OH pretended not to be with me. Just hate not being in control. In control of every other aspect of my life and so not happy unless I'm the one in the driving seat. Anyway thanks for the site and I'll download it to the Ipod. Off to bed. At work tomorrow so no doubt I'll be dreaming of planes.

Thanks again. Nice to have someone who relates
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Crocodileseamus. I wanted to avoid the valium if I could. Think I would take too many The thing about this site is you know how many people got there safely so thats some comfort.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm scared of flying too... claustraphobic, afraid of heights, the noise and vibration is really hard for me to handle following my surgery... it has got easier over the years but it still affecyts me quite badly... i get off of short flights a quivering wreck. can't imagine the flight to Aus..
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fiona021
Thanks Crocodileseamus. I wanted to avoid the valium if I could. Think I would take too many The thing about this site is you know how many people got there safely so thats some comfort.
I have a fear of flying but it's caused by being in confined places (won't go in lifts etc.) I went to the doctor and explained I was really nervous I would freak out and he prescribed valium, it's great it just mellows you, I don't fall asleep with it (as it's a mild dose) but it's just enough to stop you panicking and makes you feel chilled. Also he would only give me enough for the flight time so you can't take too many.
S xx
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

oh..... can I identify with the posters on this thread... Had enjoyed flying long hauls various places, until one flight which totally changed my whole psyche... Still get on planes very difficult, think about it days before hand, plan for the worse scenario, affairs in order, day of the flight have to sit in certain section of the plane etc....... What a load of old cr*p, as if that is going to help.... A GP friend, recommended a medication so now sit on `flights happy as larry` OH gets pi**ed off sometimes as he has to close the bottom jaw to stop me from dribbling, not a good look..... Just give me the drugs don`t need the plane to fly, as fly on my own.....
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

davdah will become famous soon enoughdavdah will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
oh..... can I identify with the posters on this thread... Had enjoyed flying long hauls various places, until one flight which totally changed my whole psyche... Still get on planes very difficult, think about it days before hand, plan for the worse scenario, affairs in order, day of the flight have to sit in certain section of the plane etc....... What a load of old cr*p, as if that is going to help.... A GP friend, recommended a medication so now sit on `flights happy as larry` OH gets pi**ed off sometimes as he has to close the bottom jaw to stop me from dribbling, not a good look..... Just give me the drugs don`t need the plane to fly, as fly on my own.....
Do what I did. I used to be scared to death to the point I got fired from a previous job because I refused to fly. A year ago I said ' to hell with it' and enrolled in pilot school. Flying one of the smaller planes you get a completely different perspective. They bounce and roll a lot more. I'm cured. I went so far as to buy one. At least Im in control now, I think that was part of it. One thing I learned is the amount of safety issues applied to air travel is almost beyond rediculous, but its for yours and my safety.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
me the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got Valium galore and am lookin forward to it now,, OH got to look after the 4 kids (3 very young too)) but hey ho!! confined spaces me, dont do lifts etc, but have recently thought, if i have to fly to oz will be silly not to do lifts and have done my own 'exposure' treatment havent flown for 8yrs,, but the other week, flew to dublin with daughter... i now do lifts, dont like it, but do them with heart racing.....

I am soooo proud of myself, no husband to look after me, did there and back in one day.. cant believe it, have booked to amsterdam for end of july and want to do another b4 go on nov, flights booked with Singapore will stop over.. first flight from LHR at 1815 so better for kids (sleep)

bring it on, i was having proffessional treatment for it for years, suffered with it for 8 yrs and now feel free..... let me spread my wings... F**k you clausterphobia!!
Old Jun 17th 2007, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
me the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got Valium galore and am lookin forward to it now,, OH got to look after the 4 kids (3 very young too)) but hey ho!! confined spaces me, dont do lifts etc, but have recently thought, if i have to fly to oz will be silly not to do lifts and have done my own 'exposure' treatment havent flown for 8yrs,, but the other week, flew to dublin with daughter... i now do lifts, dont like it, but do them with heart racing.....

I am soooo proud of myself, no husband to look after me, did there and back in one day.. cant believe it, have booked to amsterdam for end of july and want to do another b4 go on nov, flights booked with Singapore will stop over.. first flight from LHR at 1815 so better for kids (sleep)

bring it on, i was having proffessional treatment for it for years, suffered with it for 8 yrs and now feel free..... let me spread my wings... F**k you clausterphobia!!
I am exactly the same....I have never flown by myself.....as I need someone's hand to hold! However, I am flying out in 2 weeks on my own with the 4 kids (all under 7) and I have no idea if I will manage to get on that flight or not. I look at all the passengers wondering if anyone is a terrorist and if something happens to the plane will it fall out of the sky with me screaming inside! It's a control thing though as I hate dentists and injections too, what a wimp!

Galba
Old Jun 17th 2007, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Jarvl will become famous soon enoughJarvl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fiona021
Due to fly out on the 15th July or thereabouts and i am excited but the only thing putiing me off is that I hate flying with a passion. Thinking of trying hypnosis to help me. Anybody any tips or other suggestions?
Tell the ground staff who check you in, that you are very nervous of flying... they will put it on the printout and the cabin crew will be aware and hopefully look after you!

We used to take 'nervous passengers' onto flight deck to meet the flight crew which used to help some, unfortunately not allowed these days.

Have you looked into taking a fear of flying course?

Good Luck!
Old Jun 17th 2007, 4:02 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jarvl
Tell the ground staff who check you in, that you are very nervous of flying... they will put it on the printout and the cabin crew will be aware and hopefully look after you!

We used to take 'nervous passengers' onto flight deck to meet the flight crew which used to help some, unfortunately not allowed these days.

Have you looked into taking a fear of flying course?

Good Luck!
A very good friend of mine is a pilot with BA and he told me everything they do to maintain safety on the planes. He spends hours in a simulator every month taking on unusual situations and being tested over and over again. To remain flying he has to pass all these tests and drills.
I guess I find that fairly reassuring.
It's far more dangerous getting in a car and going to the shops, yet you do that without blinking.
Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.