Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Friends Required!!

Friends Required!!

Old Apr 6th 2008, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Janet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud of
Default Friends Required!!

Hi

To anyone living in the Brisbane western suburbs. We are a family of five living in Brookfield with kids ranging from 12 to 19. Would like to meet other people in and around the area. Have been here seven months and have met people and made friendships but always on the lookout for more!!

Look forward to hearing from some of you lovely people to maybe meet up for coffee and chat.

Janet x
Old Apr 6th 2008, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

jayandcoral has a spectacular aura aboutjayandcoral has a spectacular aura aboutjayandcoral has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Friends Required!!

Hi Janet

We're not over there yet but can I pick your brains
My ohs sponsor has recommended Brookfield as somewhere
to rent, can you give me some idea of what the area is like
please. My oh will be based at Salisbury.
We have 2 girls 11 & 12
Thanks

Coral x
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:31 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Hey ho...

Just the other side of the hill here... Still the 'leafy nice part' of brisbane

Jay -

Brookfield/Kenmore/The Gap are all on the western edge of the Brisbane metropolis. Whilst other suburbs expand and sprawl we are fortunate to be flanked by the hills and mountains of the Brisbane Forest Park - land which is protected from future development!.

Of course this kind of terrain doesnt come without drawbacks. The hilly nature of the land means this part of Brisbane is not served by any train line and roads are somewhat inadequate for the volumes they carry. Commute times into the city can be horrendous and buses unreliable. After long dry winters, the onset of summer can bring with it a real chance of fires, and those of us with close proximity to bushland sometimes have a minor cause for concern (I've seen flames at the end of our street and wondered if its time to pack the car). Mostly fires arent a problem and just result in the usual sweet fresh smell of eucalypus being replaced with a more sinister (but somehow still comforting - perhaps that a throwback to open fires in uk) smell of buring wood and the air occassionaly being slightly whispy from smoke.

Housing in these suburb varies of course from older 1950's small houses on regular quarter acre suburban blocks (closer to suburban centres) - newer, mdoern, affluent building developments with well landscaped blocks and out to large acreage properties as you get further west.

As parts of Brisbane go these suburbs would be some of the less skanky-bogan suburbs around. there are more expensive places to live if you head closer to the city (Hamilton, Ascot etc etc) - but the leafy west is probably more of a family, community kind of area and is blessed with some of Brisbanes best public schools.

I'll stop talking now since I have no idea exactly what you really want to know! lol - but feel free to ask any more direct questions!

I've been here for 10 years now and love this side of Brisbane! If you want to know why then just head into the Forest park and sit in any of the BBQ areas, light one up to cook some sausages and admire the smell of the trees, the sounds of birds and if your lucky the inquisitive explorations of a huge 4ft long goanna!!!

Last edited by DadAgain; Apr 7th 2008 at 4:47 am.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

sprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nice

Hiya
We live in chapel hill and moved from the uk 5 months ago, although it feels like much longer. We have 2 boys aged 7 and 4. We would love to meet up and make new friends. PM me and we can chat some more.
Shelley
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

fdonovan7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
My wife and i are moving to Brisbane in October this year.I have a job in the Princess Alexandra hosp in Woolloongabba.
Could you give me any suggestions about where to look to rent a property. We have 3 children aged 7,3,1.
We want somewhere outside the city, about 40 mins drive away if possible, school nearby etc etc..
Its all been a bit sudden so i havent done much research into the surrounding areas.
Anything you can suggest is better than nothing..
Thanks
Frank
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

jayandcoral has a spectacular aura aboutjayandcoral has a spectacular aura aboutjayandcoral has a spectacular aura about

Hi DadAgain
Sorry it's taken so long to reply my daughter had an accident and has broken both her ankles.
Thanks for the insight of the area, we seem to be favoring this area at the moment we don't like living in the hussle and bussle of things. The gap state high school seems very good I have checked out their website. Roughly how long would it take to get to salisbury from The Gap, Brookfield or Kenmore?(by car)
I'm afraid this is a typical womans question whats the spider situation like in your area? (is it the same as everywhere else or do you get more because of the leafy green areas).

Thanks
Coral x

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Hey ho...

Just the other side of the hill here... Still the 'leafy nice part' of brisbane

Jay -

Brookfield/Kenmore/The Gap are all on the western edge of the Brisbane metropolis. Whilst other suburbs expand and sprawl we are fortunate to be flanked by the hills and mountains of the Brisbane Forest Park - land which is protected from future development!.

Of course this kind of terrain doesnt come without drawbacks. The hilly nature of the land means this part of Brisbane is not served by any train line and roads are somewhat inadequate for the volumes they carry. Commute times into the city can be horrendous and buses unreliable. After long dry winters, the onset of summer can bring with it a real chance of fires, and those of us with close proximity to bushland sometimes have a minor cause for concern (I've seen flames at the end of our street and wondered if its time to pack the car). Mostly fires arent a problem and just result in the usual sweet fresh smell of eucalypus being replaced with a more sinister (but somehow still comforting - perhaps that a throwback to open fires in uk) smell of buring wood and the air occassionaly being slightly whispy from smoke.

Housing in these suburb varies of course from older 1950's small houses on regular quarter acre suburban blocks (closer to suburban centres) - newer, mdoern, affluent building developments with well landscaped blocks and out to large acreage properties as you get further west.

As parts of Brisbane go these suburbs would be some of the less skanky-bogan suburbs around. there are more expensive places to live if you head closer to the city (Hamilton, Ascot etc etc) - but the leafy west is probably more of a family, community kind of area and is blessed with some of Brisbanes best public schools.

I'll stop talking now since I have no idea exactly what you really want to know! lol - but feel free to ask any more direct questions!

I've been here for 10 years now and love this side of Brisbane! If you want to know why then just head into the Forest park and sit in any of the BBQ areas, light one up to cook some sausages and admire the smell of the trees, the sounds of birds and if your lucky the inquisitive explorations of a huge 4ft long goanna!!!