Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

friends on holiday what do you say?

Wikiposts

friends on holiday what do you say?

Old Mar 21st 2005, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: friends on holiday what do you say?

Originally Posted by jensteve
We had friends over last November, they only stopped off in Perth and had a hotel etc sorted. They want to come back though and stay with us we thought just the 2, fine no problems, but its not just the 2 but his brother in law and wife as well and they want to stay with us.
My problem being we don't have space for 4 adults and I have offered to find furnished accomodation for them all but they have suggested a tent in the garden! What the hell can I do?
They want to book flights very soon and I have this awful feeling they will arriving sleeping bags in hand wanting a free holiday accomodation no matter what.

Jenny

Jenny, I would be tempted to just be honest and explain that there isn't room for 4 additional adults at your place and that you don't want the close proximity to cause any problems between you. Offer to find them a B+B or something (like you have done) and make it plain that you are happy to spend time with them, you just feel that the cramped space would be a worry.

Jeez, most of us can't cope being in the same house as ur parents for more than 3 days at a time now - what the heck would it be like sharing space with people you don't really know.

It's not you don't want to see them or spend time with them, just there are limitations.

Best of luck though. We are trying to get a place with 4 bedrooms so we don't get into that difficult situation too often - but it's bound to happen.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:14 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=BenandPam]Jenny, I would be tempted to just be honest and explain that there isn't room for 4 additional adults at your place and that you don't want the close proximity to cause any problems between you. Offer to find them a B+B or something (like you have done) and make it plain that you are happy to spend time with them, you just feel that the cramped space would be a worry.

Thanks for the replies, have tried being honest with them, the new house is smaller, the bedrooms are smaller and there is only 1 spare room I can put a double bed in, the other will end up with my computer and bunk beds in. I suggested I look into furnished rentals and thats when he said about the tent idea. He was being deathly serious as well that freaked me a bit. I have the in-laws here at the moment and have had for almost 5 weeks, they go this week but I know them so its not too bad.
As for our friends we are what I would class as part-time pals, we don't see each other for upto a year at a time and then meet up for a drink etc go out, chat a lot and then we go off again to do our own things.
I dunno what else to say to them, I have offered other accomodation, they will see themselves the house really is too small, what am I supposed to do they want to stay for a month?

Another friend of ours has only got "rid" of his visitors and he ended up on valium while they stayed, I can sympathise with him completely.

Jenny
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:36 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jensteve]
Originally Posted by BenandPam
Jenny, I would be tempted to just be honest and explain that there isn't room for 4 additional adults at your place and that you don't want the close proximity to cause any problems between you. Offer to find them a B+B or something (like you have done) and make it plain that you are happy to spend time with them, you just feel that the cramped space would be a worry.

Thanks for the replies, have tried being honest with them, the new house is smaller, the bedrooms are smaller and there is only 1 spare room I can put a double bed in, the other will end up with my computer and bunk beds in. I suggested I look into furnished rentals and thats when he said about the tent idea. He was being deathly serious as well that freaked me a bit. I have the in-laws here at the moment and have had for almost 5 weeks, they go this week but I know them so its not too bad.
As for our friends we are what I would class as part-time pals, we don't see each other for upto a year at a time and then meet up for a drink etc go out, chat a lot and then we go off again to do our own things.
I dunno what else to say to them, I have offered other accomodation, they will see themselves the house really is too small, what am I supposed to do they want to stay for a month?

Another friend of ours has only got "rid" of his visitors and he ended up on valium while they stayed, I can sympathise with him completely.

Jenny

I'm afraid that you will have to be even more honest....spelling it out for them that you will not be able to put all of them up. Or you will have to accept that they are coming and staying :scared:
Bare in mind if they are true friends they will accept your decision and still love you for it. Remember they live on the otherside of the world and you never have to see them again if you don't want to . It needs to be your choice and in your control.
Good luck
Gillian
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

We are heading for Aus in June and suddenly seemed to have acquired a lot more friends!! Im terrible for saying no but my husband has said there is no way is our home going to be a free for all!! and intends to put his foot down.

Based on what you have posted, I think your friends are frankly taking the p***! - its one thing for you to say ok to them but another for them to invite along another couple without checking if its ok with you first. I would be tempted to not put up any of them - to expect you to put them up for a month is a bit much anyway - you may not be friends at the end of this.

Blatantly behaviour like that would make even me say no!! In stead of just being honest be blunt with it - and to be perfectly frank 1 month in the company of friends you say once maybe twice a year for a few drinks?! asking for trouble - remember your in Aus for the good life not the stressed life!!

all the best on whatever you decide to do.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jensteve]

Jenny
Oh, use your imagination. Agree to let them stay then....

whooops, business trip, gotta go away for 3 weeks,

Or,

Appendix has just exploded will be in hospital for a while

Or,

Just found a massive cochroach infestation, house has been shut down for a month by health inspectors

Thats just 3 from 1 minutes thinking, I would come up with thousands if any of my family/friends tried to pull that on me

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:55 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like they're taking libertys to me. Bite the bullet be honest with them if they don't like it there's not much you can do about it.Good luck Fraser :scared:
Either way you'll feel soooooo much better

Last edited by fraser; Mar 22nd 2005 at 2:59 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:58 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

I would be tempted to put it in words of very few syllabels so they can understand that they can't stay.

If they are good friends they won't be offended and will understand.

If they won't understand and take offence, what is the worst that can happen? They may not speak to you again, but then you are on the other side of the world. Friends like this you don't need.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Just be honest and say your concerned about that many people coming over to stop at yours when you don't think your house is big enough. It's ok to come over but why should you be uneasy in your own home. If there good friends then they should understand. Good luck
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 3:31 am
Professional Princess

[QUOTE=jensteve]

Jenny

Oh dear, this brings back so very nasty memories.

Only mine werent as bad. When I lived by the sea in Devon, I was very popular.

Despite having no money, people would turn up and one even said 'I am looking on this a damn good holiday'.

I have had people say that when I move to Australia they will come and have a holiday.

Bloody cheek.

For the sake of your self respect and sanity, you are going to have to be quite firm with these people.

Don't give them room to negotiate and be firm in your answer.

Have a look at www.pomsinperth.com and look at Nigels accommodation. It is the cheapest I have ever seen and his five bedroom place is amazing, we were thinking of booking it.

He has them to suit every budget.

Tell them you do not have the room and thats that. Part time friends are not deserving of your privacy to that extent.

Tell them the room you do have is in use, put stuff in it and make it so it looks unavailable.

Mention that you wouldnt recommend a tent in the garden as you have a problem with redbacks and roaches.

Print out the accommodation from the site I have mentioned and send it/email it to them with the tariff that you would have carefully worked out.

And for the future, its worth having a diary with 'pretend' guests in it and say 'Oh sorry, I am fully booked throughout the summer' for those wanting to take over your home.

Its worth remembering that certain friends are worth their weight in gold and those friends would not put you in this position.

You are not a holiday camp, you have had to work hard to get to where you are and to have what you have.

Nobody should make you feel that uncomfortable.

A real friend wouldn't and I bet these people wouldnt want you camping in their garden.

Tell them and tell them ASAP - you will feel better for it.

Good luck

Samantha

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:31 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

cant believe that I have come accross this thread!

Since we left the UK, everyone has decided to have a holiday this year in Melbourne, we barley have any furniture in our house, and I feel like I am being constantly bombarded by people telling me when they are comming to stay with us!!

Last night, I finally exploded as the mother in law, decides to call us late at night to inform us, yes inform us, that she will be sending jc's 16 year old sister and her mate over for 2 weeks at xmas to stay with us!!!! (on there own) I have never even met the 16 year olds friend, and I certainly dont want the responsability of looking after someone elses child.

She also told us that she will be comming with her husband seperatly in February!!!!!!! Great, just what I wanted, babysitting on our first xmas in Auz!!! We also have got JC's other sister and her boyfriend saying that they are comming for xmas aswell!! God only knows where they think that they are staying!!! (plus I am not too keen on the boyfriend).

My sister and her boyfriend stayed with us for 3 nights a couple of weeks ago and I hated it, while I was at work they were just dossing around my house, making a right mess, and all JC and I did was argue while they were there, as we only has 2 chairs in the house and my sis and her boyf decided they would be sitting on them!!!!

I am sooo stressed just thinking about it, I had already invited my best mate out for xmas (as she lost her fiancee last November) so at this rate, I think I am planning on just getting a plane to Sydney with her when she arrives, as I cant be doing with all of these people invading my home and having to run around after guests (especially teenagers)!!! Plus what about all of these xmas nights out? I cant take a 16 year old on them, so what am I supposed to do with her??

Its really annoyed me, and so I drew the line on the friend comming saying that OK the sister can come but not the friend, so JC and I are not speaking now as he thinks I should have them stay, but its me who ends up with them all in my room, steeling clothes and make up while he goes on nights out in the city with work........oh its awful!!!

I wish we had a one bedroomed flat now.......

laura
x
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:36 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

people chill out. haven't you learnt anything from watching neighbours? if you have the room it's your duty to let your brother-in laws second cousins girlfriends sister stay over for as long as she likes!

seriously though, if i had the room (and i don't) i would be happy to help people out with somewhere to stay for a while. set the rules before they arrive, kick them out if they break them. but remember karma. what goes around comes around. if i am willing to help people out, then hopefully when i'm looking for help of the same it may come to me.

i had lots of generosity from people i didn't really know when i first arrived in oz, and it's thanks to them that my stay turned into the successful life i have now. i've have been so appreciative of these virtual strangers that i made the decision that i would help in the same way if i can.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:52 pm
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
people chill out. haven't you learnt anything from watching neighbours? if you have the room it's your duty to let your brother-in laws second cousins girlfriends sister stay over for as long as she likes!

seriously though, if i had the room (and i don't) i would be happy to help people out with somewhere to stay for a while. set the rules before they arrive, kick them out if they break them. but remember karma. what goes around comes around. if i am willing to help people out, then hopefully when i'm looking for help of the same it may come to me.

i had lots of generosity from people i didn't really know when i first arrived in oz, and it's thanks to them that my stay turned into the successful life i have now. i've have been so appreciative of these virtual strangers that i made the decision that i would help in the same way if i can.
it's a difficult one this, you really want your friends & family to come offer to see that you have made a success of things and to see your noce house, but you know that after 2-3 weeks they will be bugging the living daylights out of you.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by brisnick

brisnick,

i think there's a slight difference between 'helping someone out' and 'becoming a hotelier because you've moved to australia'.
i'm sure no one on this forum would be at all bothered to help someone out (ie. arrive late at night and can't get room or something like that), but i can definately see how jenny feels - just because you happen to live in another country, doesnt make you 'the place to stay'.
my parents are coming over in june and they're not staying with us - we're both working all day, can't take time off work for everyone that decides that now is a good time to come and visit, and quite frankly, if it was anyone else but my immediate family or closest friends, i wouldnt want them 'rummaging' through my house while i was away at work.
on top of all that - isnt it terribly rude to just assume that people will take you in???

tanja
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:47 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop

Since we left the UK, everyone has decided to have a holiday this year in Melbourne, we barley have any furniture in our house, and I feel like I am being constantly bombarded by people telling me when they are comming to stay with us!!

Last night, I finally exploded as the mother in law, decides to call us late at night to inform us, yes inform us, that she will be sending jc's 16 year old sister and her mate over for 2 weeks at xmas to stay with us!!!! (on there own) I have never even met the 16 year olds friend, and I certainly dont want the responsability of looking after someone elses child.

She also told us that she will be comming with her husband seperatly in February!!!!!!! Great, just what I wanted, babysitting on our first xmas in Auz!!! We also have got JC's other sister and her boyfriend saying that they are comming for xmas aswell!! God only knows where they think that they are staying!!! (plus I am not too keen on the boyfriend).

My sister and her boyfriend stayed with us for 3 nights a couple of weeks ago and I hated it, while I was at work they were just dossing around my house, making a right mess, and all JC and I did was argue while they were there, as we only has 2 chairs in the house and my sis and her boyf decided they would be sitting on them!!!!

I am sooo stressed just thinking about it, I had already invited my best mate out for xmas (as she lost her fiancee last November) so at this rate, I think I am planning on just getting a plane to Sydney with her when she arrives, as I cant be doing with all of these people invading my home and having to run around after guests (especially teenagers)!!! Plus what about all of these xmas nights out? I cant take a 16 year old on them, so what am I supposed to do with her??

Its really annoyed me, and so I drew the line on the friend comming saying that OK the sister can come but not the friend, so JC and I are not speaking now as he thinks I should have them stay, but its me who ends up with them all in my room, steeling clothes and make up while he goes on nights out in the city with work........oh its awful!!!

laura
x
Laura. I would definitely go away with YOUR friend and leave hubby with all HIS relations and their friends. If he thinks they should come and stay, let him look after them and you chill with a friend who needs you.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:51 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop

laura
x
Laura. I would definitely go away with YOUR friend and leave hubby with all HIS relations and their friends. If he thinks they should come and stay, let him look after them and you chill with a friend who needs you.

I have already been told by a "friend" that she has booked for her, her husband and child to come out to Sydney to stay for a week with someone she met for two days a couple of years ago and will then travel up the coast to stay with us for a week before moving on. This will be July 2006. We are still in the UK and I don't want her popping in now let alone staying with me. Hubby has said "over my dead body - she can f**k off somewhere else" - can't disagree

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.