Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fridges & Fridgefreezers...stay or go?

Fridges & Fridgefreezers...stay or go?

Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fridges & Fridgefreezers...stay or go?

We're going to take our upright fridge freezer with us....it'll do as a beer fridge anyhow if it's not big enough for the kitchen....but I've got a chest freezer too in the garage...should I take that?

I've read somewhere that because our freezers/fridges aren't built for the Ozzie climate they have to work overtime to keep cool. Is this true? Will our freezer be knackered quickly and our elec bill be really stupidly high?

We want to keep our costs down when we get there and don't want to outlay on anything if we don't have to.

So, any advice would help....thanks
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

bored brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fridges & Fridgefreezers...stay or go?

Originally posted by TraceyW
We're going to take our upright fridge freezer with us....it'll do as a beer fridge anyhow if it's not big enough for the kitchen....but I've got a chest freezer too in the garage...should I take that?

I've read somewhere that because our freezers/fridges aren't built for the Ozzie climate they have to work overtime to keep cool. Is this true? Will our freezer be knackered quickly and our elec bill be really stupidly high?

We want to keep our costs down when we get there and don't want to outlay on anything if we don't have to.

What about washing machines also as ours just blew up and just paid £400 for a new one and I am not leaving it behind
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by bored brit
What about washing machines also as ours just blew up and just paid £400 for a new one and I am not leaving it behind
darned machines huh!!!

Washing machines are fine to take, you only have to change the plug. The amp should be the same....230 I think.
We're taking washing machine and tumble dryer...it rains a fair bit in Perth and with kids I need to get clothes dry!
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard mixed reports on this.Some say they won't work and others that they will.
What are they worth secondhand?
We bought a new fridge/freezer and a new Telly recently and they were expensive.I think I would risk taking them but I'm no expert.

I would love to know the answer as well.

G
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by Grayling
I've heard mixed reports on this.Some say they won't work and others that they will.
What are they worth secondhand?
We bought a new fridge/freezer and a new Telly recently and they were expensive.I think I would risk taking them but I'm no expert.

I would love to know the answer as well.

G
I have heard somewhere along the line that tellys can be adapted for around $100 as long as they are a well known make.....unsure which well known make that is thought...sorry!
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:40 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard somewhere along the line that tellys can be adapted for around $100 as long as they are a well known make.....unsure which well known make that is thought...sorry!
I understand the telly will work with a VCR or with cable.
It's the fridge/freezer I am unsure about.

Any experts there?

G
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

People have said that UK fridges cant stand up to the Aus heat, but if that is the case, do manufacturers put different sized 'engines' in their fridges, depending on where in the world they are sending them.

e.g. you can buy Ariston (Italian), Fisher & Paykel (NZ), Bosch (German) in both the UK and Oz - do they have different specs?

I am curious if anyone knows the answer to this. Me and friend in UK have what seem to be identical F&P fridge-freezers (mine bought in Oz, his in UK), but don't know whether the engine inside is different.

washing machines work fine in Oz. Front-loaders are less common so you could find limited choice if you decide to buy one when you get there. Think I paid $1000 (reduced from $1300 for a new Ariston 'Margherita' front loader)

we paid to have our Sony TV adapted - but all they managed to fix was the picture thru one channel and sound thru another...i.e totally b****y useless!! We had to buy an Oz video and run the TV thru that
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

Bump !!!
Up to the top we go!

Sorry to be a pain...but I really could do with an answer about the chest freezer.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:27 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Bump !!!
Up to the top we go!

Sorry to be a pain...but I really could do with an answer about the chest freezer.

hi Tracey
someone asked about this a couple of weeks ago. I have just bought a new un, and in the manual it said would not work effectively in temperatures above 32 or something degrees centigrade. Have you had a look in your owner manual? or try the manufacturers website?
let us know what you find out!!!

sue
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hi Tracey
someone asked about this a couple of weeks ago. I have just bought a new un, and in the manual it said would not work effectively in temperatures above 32 or something degrees centigrade. Have you had a look in your owner manual? or try the manufacturers website?
let us know what you find out!!!

sue
hi Sue,

Good thinking. I can't find the manual so I'll have a nosey on the Electrolux website, be a shame not to take it. Waste of money last year as we won't get much for it second hand! Damn!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:46 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you did a search on this website and will get loads of previous advice but....

as one who even regrets now what I did not ship.....

consider cost, can you sell it and get decent money back, enough to afford another here for what you sell it, or near to, or make a decent dent in the new price?

are you tight on shipping, do you need to lose space, what do your packers say?

over 32 degrees on the manufacturers warranty!!! Shit I would need to keep mine on the lawn in direct sunshine....course they have those limits on the small print, similiar to irons/toasters/tables.....they usually come with a warranty...subject to excessive use, all my electrical good get excessive use apart from hairdryer cause I haven't enough time after using all the others!. {before you all shout about temps in aus when does the engine get heated above 32 degrees}

They (white goods) all work, change plug, but if they go wrong once you get here you have a workman tutting and saying parts will be difficult (ah they do that regardless where you bought it).

TVs...refer to other threads..but I bought all mine and those that do not work I play either through video or only video until I can afford to change them.

possibly been no help cause this is my opinion only
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Sandra... you've been of great help!! I have e-mailed the manufacturer but doubt if I'll get a response.
We're not that tight on space in the container so I reckon we will probably end up taking it anyhow and just hope it works efficiently.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

I was going to email Bosch and ask if they supply fridge freezers to the Oz market and if they do are they made any differently. Even if it blows up after a few weeks it gets over the initial problem, and allows you to stagger buying new of evertything.

Muzzman
Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:15 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Muzzman
I was going to email Bosch and ask if they supply fridge freezers to the Oz market and if they do are they made any differently. Even if it blows up after a few weeks it gets over the initial problem, and allows you to stagger buying new of evertything.

Muzzman
If your fridge/freezer is nice now it also saves you going back to a drip tray (gungy bits in the back that go black!)

I came across 22 months ago, I took the advice the white goods are not worth taking......shitty advice. Even if my front loader and dryer and fridge and freezer worked for 8/10/12 weeks it would have saved that initial horror cost and to get the same costs more.

Hubby still complains how the front loader here does not work the same as 'home' spin speed being all the thing.....and yes you need the dryer!

Bring the fridge if you have the space, if for nothing else it cools the beer!

Cheers
Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Ben_38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Sandra... you've been of great help!! I have e-mailed the manufacturer but doubt if I'll get a response.
We're not that tight on space in the container so I reckon we will probably end up taking it anyhow and just hope it works efficiently.
Tracey,

We have brought over both freezer and Fridge from UK. Both work perfectly. We are in Victoria, so not particularly hot conditions, but even last summer when outside temp topped 40 everything was ok. Not only is our freezer from the UK, but it is also second if not third-hand and still producing ice lollies for the kids.

I would definately bring your freezer, particularly if you have plenty of room.

Good luck

Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.