Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

And the fridge won !!!

And the fridge won !!!

Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:17 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And the fridge won !!!

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Teehee it is isnt it. S'OK dont care what people say. I've paid for that car with a broken wrist and a knackered knee, plus twas hubby's decision not mine. I was just going to get an automatic version of the old car but hubby decided I should get the subaru. Could this be guilt on his part ??????? :-D Nah if it was I would have got diamonds ;-)

Come over anytime Simone. We will be in all weekend sorting out the workshed. Plus you can help with my lemon problem (i have too many) If the trees keep fruit the way they are at the mo, I'm going to have to open a market stall ":-)
Yeah!!!! You could have a stall at the front of the road!
There was one(maybe it's still there...) on Priory rd in Maida Vale, near where we lived in 87!! I love those fruit stalls, though hardly ever stop at them, even down south where you see them heaps.

We had a lemon tree in Kalamunda. Was on top of the sewer, so had heaps and heaps of lemons! :scared:

I'm not good at just 'dropping by'(or even ringing...), but will have to try it sometime!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:23 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Gosh, quite an eventful move! Get well soon!!!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

The other good news is that as a result I got a new car, cos my old one was manual gearbox and I couldnt drive it so hubby said I could get an automatic, so I now have a lovely new car - wooohooo.

Sorry to hear about the accident but glad you've got so many good friends around you. Can I ask about the change to an automatic. Had you ever driven an automatic before and is it hard to adapt? I'm going to buy my dad's car when I arrive soon but I've never driven an automatic before. After nearly 30 years driving a manual I'm a bit nervous.
Sue
Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:53 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
The other good news is that as a result I got a new car, cos my old one was manual gearbox and I couldnt drive it so hubby said I could get an automatic, so I now have a lovely new car - wooohooo.

Sorry to hear about the accident but glad you've got so many good friends around you. Can I ask about the change to an automatic. Had you ever driven an automatic before and is it hard to adapt? I'm going to buy my dad's car when I arrive soon but I've never driven an automatic before. After nearly 30 years driving a manual I'm a bit nervous.
Sue
Have had 1 automatic in the past - 8 years ago for 2 years. Other than that have always driven manual. The change over is very easy, but occasionally I 'forget' and hit the brake with my left foot! At the moment my knackered knee soon reminds me that this is not a good idea !!!

Actually cos I am such a bad driver (typically female blond LOL ) I find driving an automatic much easier! I can forget about the gear changing and just concentrate on the driving Plus the automatic (esp if you get a 'sports' model) lets you get away from traffic lights much faster so can leave the 18 year old boy racers standing :LOL:
Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:18 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Have you missed me ??? or not even noticed I’ve been gone ?

Can't say I missed you, I'm afraid, cos I've not been around much myself!

Tried to send you karma "for a speedy recovery from your injuries", but it wouldn't let me. Hope all goes well - recovery, new house, back to work, etc., etc.

Cheers,
PR

Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Can't say I missed you, I'm afraid, cos I've not been around much myself!

Tried to send you karma "for a speedy recovery from your injuries", but it wouldn't let me. Hope all goes well - recovery, new house, back to work, etc., etc.

Cheers,
PR

Hey PR you're back!

You're the second person I've said that today (the other was Honeybob); so what have you been up to? Good to see you btw!
Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Have you missed me ??? or not even noticed I’ve been gone ?

Haven’t been posting here for a couple of weeks, due to a number of reasons, main one being, we’ve moved house, therefore had to get internet reconnected (took 10 days) plus I had a wee accident !!!!!

Back to the beginning of the story ……….

In November, hubby and I decided it was time to get on the Perth Property Ladder, so put our South African house up for sale. Three days later we had a buyer – wooohooo – and then the bureaucracy starts…. And continues and continues and continues and continues !

At the end of January we see a house we like and based on the comforting noises our guy in S.Af (the one who has our Power of Attorney) is making we put an offer in, with a settlement date of 6 weeks.

6 weeks later, we request an extension from the vendors with a $2000 penalty clause !

4 weeks after that we request another extension with an unlimited penalty clause

Three weeks ago (after much screaming shouting begging and sobbing) the money finally is released from S.Af, and bingo, we have a house in Australia.

Then the fun starts…….

Hubby and I decide that because we got rid of most of our “junk� when we moved down from Germany last year, and have gone “minimal�, we can easily do the move ourselves – hahaha

So 2 weekends ago we start packing up the rented house. On the Saturday everything goes swimmingly and we move a lorry load of our possessions 12 kms up the road. Sunday comes and we load up the lorry for the 2nd trip. Again everything goes swimmingly. Get to the other end and start unloading. Again everything is going swimmingly, until we get to the fridge !!!!!!!

Hubby was inside the truck and I was outside waiting to help him lift the fridge down. All was going really well until the fridge started to slip. I tried to catch it. The fridge didn’t want to be caught. We had a little fight the fridge and me ! THE FRIDGE WON ! I fell over and the fridge fell on top of me !!!! A real slam-dunk !

I now have a broken left wrist and a torn left knee – aaaaaah !!!! (The wrist is in plaster for 8 weeks and the knee is bandaged for 3 weeks.) Sympathy please

Fortunately drugs and alcohol are ensuring a speedy recovery

Some important good news is ….. the fridge is OK and working fine :-) It only has one very small scratch on it - Very important cos it was the beer fridge hahaha.

The bad news is I have to go back to work on Monday

So some important lessons learnt …… Always get the professional removal folk in, (unless you want 2 weeks off work plus a new car )

Australian medicare is fabulous. Been to 2 GPs, 2 Hospitals and 2 medical imaging departments and the service and level of care has been superb. Plus I only have to pay $75 for the first GP consultation, and even then 75% is paid back by medicare. So the whole event will cost me about $20 !!!!! The rest is “free� In Germany I (or rather my medical insurance company who used to make me pay through the nose) would be looking at a bill of thousands of Euros

Have to say a huge thank you to all the fabby Perth people (Brian, John, Gillian, You know who you are) plus the fabulous Jill, Maggy and Teresa who waited an extra 1 ½ hours (on top of the preplanned 1 hour delay) for me to get my butt out of hospital and meet them for coffee. You guys are great. Never had friends like these before and I love you all !

And can I say a big thank you too, the lemons were fab, Mairi you are Australia's Charlie Dimmock!! can't wait to come over again....

xxxxx
Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhh Mairi!!! I hope you recover really really quickly. Don't be tempted to do any unpacking, sit back and get Chris to do it!!!!
Take care now! (A phrase often said but really meant this time)
Congrats on the new house and car
atb
Larissa
Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:52 am
Badge

The lesson is that Chris should have been at the bottom.

Sounds like a bit of a scrummage.

badge

Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:59 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the thanks Mairi..
It was no problem at all, & gave us a chance to nosey round your new house!

Nice car!!!
Chris and I will be proud to be picked up hammered from the pub in that car!!

Hope your stookied up, (you have to be Scottish) arm is feeling better.
Sent you a PM....

Cheers.... John & Gillian...
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:07 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

So maybe new car means comprimise in the tub area!!