Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Fresh fish" does it exist in Perth

"Fresh fish" does it exist in Perth

Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:35 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Fresh fish" does it exist in Perth

Originally Posted by sandradee
Renth, I dont know Leederville too well, do you have an address/approx location for this place, I am hoping to go later this arvo.

Thanks if you can help.
It's just off the Vincent Street exit of the Mitchell freeway, on Aberdeen Street.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:48 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

You could also try the Boatshed in Cottesloe, it has a great selection of Fresh Fish and also a good butchery and huge selction of Fruit and Veg's, costs a fair amount more than wollies or coles but the quality seems to be top notch, so well worth it.
The groper and his wife fish and chip shop at the Boulevard shops in City Beach is excellent they have a failry large wet fish counter and they've won loads of awards etc.
Subiaco Markets are good for Fruit and Veg, not sure if there's a "fish man" there as well?
Freo Markets are also good and there is a fish counter there.
I havent tried it first hand but as Renth says the caravan by the UWA does have a good reputation, and will probably be well priced.

Alternatively you could go catch it yourself
Steve
Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:59 am
wombat42

Thanks for that, I have been to the Seafresh at Innaloo, and it is excellent, but a bit of a drive for us. I will certainly try Leederville, probably this afternoon.

Its still very disappointing that in a country where 95% of the population live on the coast, that its almost impossible to buy what everyone in the UK and probably other parts of the worls too, take for granted. I am not one of these pommie whingers, but after 8 months here, the rose tinted spectacles have been placed well and truely in the wheelie bin. Australia has many fantastic points that the UK will never match, but when it comes to fresh fish, and basically food in general, Australia is absolutely miles behind.
Why don't you get a fishing rod and you go fishing yourself. There must be plenty of good fishing spots around Perth. You can't get fish any fresher then that.

Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:13 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Why don't you get a fishing rod and you go fishing yourself. There must be plenty of good fishing spots around Perth. You can't get fish any fresher then that.
Problem is, without a boat you'll get plenty of herring and gardies but little else.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:14 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by steve99
Freo Markets are also good and there is a fish counter there.
I had some cooked crays from them and they were as tough as old boots, I've avoided the Freo market fish counter since then.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:37 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Renth, I dont know Leederville too well, do you have an address/approx location for this place, I am hoping to go later this arvo.

Thanks if you can help.
Its in Oxford Street Leederville, I work nearby give us a wave!!

http://www.kailisbros.com.au/Contact.html

Paul J
Old Jan 18th 2005, 5:20 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Ask for un-thawed Atlantic salmon in your supermarket - the stuff on display is usually "thawed for your convenience" and will be even in a fish market in WA. You'll probably like it more if you let it thaw before eating it - and I doubt you'll notice much difference from "still thrashing" unless tasted side by side.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Renth, couldn't think of name before, remembered it once i went past it today, its Simply Seafood, they do fab fish & chips, also you can stock up as Bella3 says on your fresh stuff whilst there, they do have frozen too. We got our mussels, scallops, prawns, crayfish etc etc there for xmas and the owner was very helpful, making me crave fish & chips tonight, unfortunately he's shut on a Tues!!! If you're popping up, think he's open mon, weds, thurs 4 -8pm and fri, sat, sun 11am - 8pm.

Teresa
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:37 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I have been to the Seafresh at Innaloo, and it is excellent, but a bit of a drive for us. I will certainly try Leederville, probably this afternoon.

Its still very disappointing that in a country where 95% of the population live on the coast, that its almost impossible to buy what everyone in the UK and probably other parts of the worls too, take for granted. I am not one of these pommie whingers, but after 8 months here, the rose tinted spectacles have been placed well and truely in the wheelie bin. Australia has many fantastic points that the UK will never match, but when it comes to fresh fish, and basically food in general, Australia is absolutely miles behind.

solutions simple buy a BLOODY fishing rod.................... mm
Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Completely wrong demographics, but here in Cairns the fresh fish shops and markets are superb...

Barra, Tuna, Salmon, Bugs, Prawns, all available ( not pre frozen to my knowledge ) and tasty as hell...

As for the "catch your own" philosophy, Ste goes fishing quite a bit now and always throws them back -

( read a newspaper report recently that said out of the 800,000 queenslanders who go fishing 'at least once a year', 85% of them throw their catches back to the water)

....mostly catches sharks off the Palm Cove jetty - wouldn't know what to do with a shark ( albeit baby ones ) if he brought them home anyway...

Answers on a postcard.....
Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Completely wrong demographics, but here in Cairns the fresh fish shops and markets are superb...

Barra, Tuna, Salmon, Bugs, Prawns, all available ( not pre frozen to my knowledge ) and tasty as hell...

As for the "catch your own" philosophy, Ste goes fishing quite a bit now and always throws them back -

( read a newspaper report recently that said out of the 800,000 queenslanders who go fishing 'at least once a year', 85% of them throw their catches back to the water)

....mostly catches sharks off the Palm Cove jetty - wouldn't know what to do with a shark ( albeit baby ones ) if he brought them home anyway...

Answers on a postcard.....
Shark used to be the staple fish in Australian Fish and chips. Known as 'flake'. very good to eat. Just cut into steaks or fillet it.

Now a lot of chip shops use farmed Barramundi.

G