Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Frequent flyer points?

Frequent flyer points?

Old Sep 15th 2003, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

armatage shanks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frequent flyer points?

Can anybody advise on the best Credit Card to get which accrues airmiles? Are on our way to Perth probably December 03 and therefore have a lot of money yet to spend on the move etc... both in the UK and Oz. Hoping to accrue enough airmiles to have a trip back to UK (for visit only) in a couple of years.

Any idea how we could get a credit card for use in UK (before we go) and then be able to transfer the airmiles to an Oz credit card? Confused...? I am !

Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2003, 8:14 pm
mark,abbi,tia & max

mark warner is an unknown quantity at this point

on my card i would have to spend a bloody fortune just to fly paris add this to credit card interest rates and it would be cheaper to get rid of the card use cash and buy the ticket.

mark
Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:35 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frequent flyer points?

Originally posted by armatage shanks
Can anybody advise on the best Credit Card to get which accrues airmiles? Are on our way to Perth probably December 03 and therefore have a lot of money yet to spend on the move etc... both in the UK and Oz. Hoping to accrue enough airmiles to have a trip back to UK (for visit only) in a couple of years.

Any idea how we could get a credit card for use in UK (before we go) and then be able to transfer the airmiles to an Oz credit card? Confused...? I am !

Thanks

Start here...

http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/partners/card
Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:47 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless you fly frequently the reward schemes tend to milk you for more money than the value of the flights you might get in the end. The schemes here are under fire for their lack of generosity. the credit cards have an annual fee that is double their non rewards counterpart.

The only person I know of who has been able to redeem any points flies all over the world business class and all of us have to buy our business flights on his Corp Amex.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 11:03 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

To get a free return flight to UK you need about 110,000 points. You generally get one point for every dollar spent on your credit card. As Bondipom says, the bets way is if you have something like a corporate card and then fly frequently (like the name). For example, if I fly BNE-SYD I get 2000 points from the flight and about 600 from buying the ticket. If i did this once a month I would earn enough points for a return UK flight in four years. Frequent flyers aren't bad value, but you do better accumulating points through flying and less well by credit card spending (as in example). Because I spend quite heavily on business and can use the card for personal use, I am hoping to accumulate one free flight about every 2-3 years. You can however, get (for example) a BNE-SYD flight for about 20000 points.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Agree with Bondipom, it's a good marketing scam. The only time this is cost effective is when you can book business expenses towards the points.
Airmiles AREN'T free you are paying for them every time you use credit cards or flights tied into them.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 11:57 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Here you have one choice of airline for your rewards - Quantas. They are not the cheapest and the money saved by getting another airline would pay for any flights that you would have received anyway.

Another frequent complaint is that when it comes to redeeming time the only flights are available are at best inconvenient or worst unavailable.

PS Westpac Alititude (reward card ) annual fee $70
Normal card annual fee $30.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Watch it anyway the Aussie banks are onto the credit card points and cutting it out.

From Oct 1, Commonwealth has decided you only get points up to the first $1500 on your credit card then one point for every two dollars then nothing for over $10,000.

Up to now we put thousands every month onto credit card (every single bill and purchase and pay off at end of month). We have accrued a nice 400,000 frequent flyer points. Looks like the good old aussie banks are stamping this out tho.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

armatage shanks is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Don't think we'll bother then.