Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fremantle, Rockingham or Mandurah???

Fremantle, Rockingham or Mandurah???

Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:08 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fremantle, Rockingham or Mandurah???

Originally Posted by eddie007
You're home??? Did you have a fantastic time? When you going to join us plebs down south?????
Got home a couple of hours ago but managed to get BE on my iPhone. My god my cat is upset, he is walking round the house being very noisy indeed, he is really distressed since we got him from the cattery.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:04 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Condor of Bermuda
Now as far as an Aussie lifestyle goes, Mandurah is the ONLY PLACE in all of Western Australia with an inland waterway right at its back door (Peel Estuary). Look at it on Google Earth. Your kids will love it. Crabbing, boating, picnicking, all on a waterway about 6 feet deep. Cruise up the Murray River to the Ravenswood pub for a Sunday countery (meal). Bliss.
With respect that simply isn't true as a local I surprised you said it. Australind is also on an estuary inlet like you describe (albeit smaller) and has the Collie river, crabs and all the things the Peel Inlet has. Likewise down south Walpole and Denmark both have estuarine inlets which are lovely too.

To the OP, do your reccie trip carefully, Mandurah and its environs has some great housing bargains to be sure but it is a world different from Fremantle.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Little Lisa 1971
We could visit in Aug 2011 during our school summer holiday.......what is the weather like that time of year? It seems a shame to come all the way to Aus during your Winter!
If we're lucky, Perth usually gets rain during winter, approximately mid-May to mid-September, although winter has been later the last couple of years. If it's the normal winter weather pattern, a cold front might bring rain for 2-5 days (can be very heavy rain), but before and after this there will be cold and dry sunny spells. Cold overnight and first thing in the morning, even down to zero, but up to low-mid 20s during the day. Occasionally there will be cold and overcast days where the temp might go down to 12-14.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Condor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by EvannTel
With respect that simply isn't true as a local I surprised you said it. Australind is also on an estuary inlet like you describe (albeit smaller) and has the Collie river, crabs and all the things the Peel Inlet has. Likewise down south Walpole and Denmark both have estuarine inlets which are lovely too.

To the OP, do your reccie trip carefully, Mandurah and its environs has some great housing bargains to be sure but it is a world different from Fremantle.
Surprised you may be.

Perhaps I should have said "the BIGGEST inland waterway".

The gist of my comments is still perfectly correct.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Condor of Bermuda
Plenty of crabs in the Estuary. We went out on Australia Day and got our quota.

Crab sandwiches in front of the cricket......

Mozzies are out and about at the moment but I saw the helicopter spraying this week so that should settle them down. They are actually more of an issue in some bushy suburbs near the estuary shore than on the canals.

Algae hasn't been an issue for years, since the Dawesville Cut was built.
but DARLING... That helicopter wasn't spraying mozzies... It was me and HIM having problems opening a bottle of Bollie!... What a waste...
Old Jan 29th 2011, 7:40 am
Just Joined

articnorth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007
but DARLING... That helicopter wasn't spraying mozzies... It was me and HIM having problems opening a bottle of Bollie!... What a waste...
there needs to be a university in rockingham and mandurah, not counting the sub-campus of murdoch university of rockingham.

i believe in further development in these 2 major satelite cities.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Little Lisa 1971
Hi Everyone, my husband and I along with our two children aged 12 & 15yrs will be moving out to Western Australia very soon. I would really appreciate an insight into the three areas we are considering moving to, good and bad points please.

The places we have in mind are Fremantle, Rockingham and Mandurah.

My key desires are: jobs in roofing, good schools, fairly close to the beach, and a good area to live in. I know I don't want much!!

We have about £330,000.00 to spend on a house and also wondered what sort of house that money could get us as I realise Australian Homes have rocketed it the last 5 years.

Thanks in advance for your help, any comments would be great
Hi have pm'd you