Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fremantle, Rockingham or Mandurah???

Fremantle, Rockingham or Mandurah???

Old Jan 27th 2011, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fremantle, Rockingham or Mandurah???

I cant comment on the schools in Mandurah but we have been there for two years and can comment on the town and suburbs.

Mandurah has some black spots and there is no denying it. But heck, Freo can be as rough as any other docks town. Some of the most expensive areas in Perth are notorious for certain crimes. Mt Lawley has had significant issues with knives, others have plenty of other crime problems.

From my experience those who post negatives about Mandurah have never been. It isnt paradice, but it is a nice place to live and a lot more affordable than suburbs in Perth.

I rent a new 3 story house in a small complex of 30 with access to a great pool, spa and cabana and 40m from one of the best beaches in the met area for $300 a week. I would struggle to get an appartment in a crap area of Perth for that.

I personaly cant understand why people move here and go to live in somewhere like Success or a lot of other Perth suburbs. Its not a city known for its great culture and things going on. Its nick name is Dullsville, i wouldnt see the point unless i was walking distance to a good beach.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:46 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
We live in Halls Head, which was identified as being the most desirable suburb outwith Perth. I like Halls Head, and with the money you have you would EASILY be able to afford a brand new 4x2 with money left over.

Private education is VERY affordable. My eldest (12) is starting year 8 at Mandurah Catholic College, and I will be paying about £140 a fortnight. The state schools in Mandurah are generally regarded as very poor, however the senior college (year11 &12) gets a good name!
The Senior College and Mandurah High School are now one school.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Condor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant future

I'm an Aussie, grew up in Safety Bay (just south of Rockingham) and now live in Mandurah. I'm 60 years old.

By some quirk of my wife's family history she has a cousin who moved out from Birmingham 5 years ago and now lives here in Mandurah. They love it. Her husband got citizenship a few months ago. The family history meant that cousin C got hers before leaving UK.

Their kids go to Freddie Irwin High School. http://www.frederickirwin.wa.edu.au/

Private, don't know what the fees are, but it is very good.

Now as far as an Aussie lifestyle goes, Mandurah is the ONLY PLACE in all of Western Australia with an inland waterway right at its back door (Peel Estuary). Look at it on Google Earth. Your kids will love it. Crabbing, boating, picnicking, all on a waterway about 6 feet deep. Cruise up the Murray River to the Ravenswood pub for a Sunday countery (meal). Bliss.

The ocean beaches are excellent. Mandurah foreshore is a great place for families during the day. I do advise tho, that after midnight Mandurah, like anywhere, has issues. But all normal people are tucked up in bed.

The train now goes straight from Mandurah, through Perth, all the way to Clarkson. 45 minutes to Perth, 130kph.

Halls Head has some nice areas. Avoid Greenfields and surrounds. Lakelands is a bit isolated just yet.

4000 square metre bush blocks at Pleasant Grove, just between Mandurah and Port Bouvard. Kangaroos in your backyard there.

Port Bouvard is a canal development. Very nice and more affordable than the canals in Mandurah.

There should be plenty of work available for a person in the building industry.

Out of those three places you mention, Mandurah would be my recommendation.

Last edited by Condor of Bermuda; Jan 27th 2011 at 10:29 am. Reason: Adding link
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

what an excellent, well balanced post... Tend to agree woth you, even if I'm down the road and very happy in Rocko...
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Little Lisa 1971 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Fremantle, Rockingham or Mandurah???

Originally Posted by kar-kier
We live in Halls Head, which was identified as being the most desirable suburb outwith Perth. I like Halls Head, and with the money you have you would EASILY be able to afford a brand new 4x2 with money left over.

Private education is VERY affordable. My eldest (12) is starting year 8 at Mandurah Catholic College, and I will be paying about £140 a fortnight. The state schools in Mandurah are generally regarded as very poor, however the senior college (year11 &12) gets a good name!
Thanks, that sounds really good. Halls Head looks lovely and if I can get the children in a good High School we will be very happy.

Our main priority is getting the children into a good school, Australia is mine and my Husbands dream and I really don't want to risk our childrens educational future on our dream.......they have to come first.

I'll try to get in touch with Mandurah Catholic College and get some information off them.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Condor of Bermuda for a fab reply, we've certainly got a lot to think of. Mandurah was our first choice, then after reading different comments we were swinging more towards Fremantle! I think we definately need to have a good look around Mandurah on our recci, If we can get a nice house in a nice area with a good High School we'll have everything we wanted and no mortgage which means we'll have the lifestyle we're coming for.

Thanks to everyone, this is a brilliant thread and I hope anyone moving to Perth is getting as much out of this thread as me
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Condor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant future

Lisa do you have an approximate arrival date yet?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:28 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Condor of Bermuda

<snip>

Now as far as an Aussie lifestyle goes, Mandurah is the ONLY PLACE in all of Western Australia with an inland waterway right at its back door (Peel Estuary). Look at it on Google Earth. Your kids will love it. Crabbing, boating, picnicking, all on a waterway about 6 feet deep. Cruise up the Murray River to the Ravenswood pub for a Sunday countery (meal). Bliss.

<snip>

Port Bouvard is a canal development. Very nice and more affordable than the canals in Mandurah.

<snip>
V.true, the crabbing is great fun. Sunblock is a must though as I found out to my cost one weekend.

I've heard the canal developement in Mandurah have major mozzie problems. Is that true or just another urban legend by ignorant Perthites?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
V.true, the crabbing is great fun. Sunblock is a must though as I found out to my cost one weekend.

I've heard the canal developement in Mandurah have major mozzie problems. Is that true or just another urban legend by ignorant Perthites?
Is algae still a problem? I'd also heard that crab numbers are down. Or as you say, just envy from the big smoke dwellers?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:01 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Agreed... Stay away from Mandurah and Rockingham... If you're anything like as pig ignorant as the above poster..... You wouldn't fit in with nice normal people who choose to live there on their lovely quiet, underpriced executive estates and take advantage of the well established community, and services that have had millions pumped into them over the last few years, living within walking distance of the ocean without millions on a mortgage...

Keep the urban legend alive that they are slum towns...
Don't forget that Weebie is the type of person that let's his/her shallow wanky friends dictate as to where he lives and has freely admitted that those wanky shallow 'friends' would disown him/her if he lived in the 'wrong' area, and this doesn't just speak volumes about the shite company he keeps but also about the snob he is himself. Perhaps Weebie should stay on a compound where only his type are allowed to live and the can all dig their own exceedingly shallow graves together.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Don't forget that Weebie is the type of person that let's his/her shallow wanky friends dictate as to where he lives and has freely admitted that those wanky shallow 'friends' would disown him/her if he lived in the 'wrong' area, and this doesn't just speak volumes about the shite company he keeps but also about the snob he is himself. Perhaps Weebie should stay on a compound where only his type are allowed to live and the can all dig their own exceedingly shallow graves together.
You're home??? Did you have a fantastic time? When you going to join us plebs down south?????
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Plenty of crabs in the Estuary. We went out on Australia Day and got our quota.

Crab sandwiches in front of the cricket......

Mozzies are out and about at the moment but I saw the helicopter spraying this week so that should settle them down. They are actually more of an issue in some bushy suburbs near the estuary shore than on the canals.

Algae hasn't been an issue for years, since the Dawesville Cut was built.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:59 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of crabs in the Estuary. We went out on Australia Day and got our quota.

Crab sandwiches in front of the cricket......

Mozzies are out and about at the moment but I saw the helicopter spraying this week so that should settle them down. They are actually more of an issue in some bushy suburbs near the estuary shore than on the canals.

Algae hasn't been an issue for years, since the Dawesville Cut was built.
We`ve done well with the crabbing this year on the estuary too and had no probs with mossies either when we`ve been down there. Mind you a friend at work who lives on acreage in Baldivis came in yesterday looking like a dot to dot puzzle, so if they like you`re blood it doesn`t matter where you live.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at one of the best kept secret suburbs in Mandurah - Southport, Dawesville. It is the south side of the cut against the ocean. The houses are in effect built on the Cut golf course so feels very green. Nice suburb, though VERY quiet. Mainly proffessionals who live there. The best bit though is the beach. Great surf club there and for those with kids it provides great fun every weekend.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Lisa do you have an approximate arrival date yet?
We don't have a date yet, I'm trying to arrange our recci around our Daughters exams and assessments! It may be our recci will have to wait till December then move out for good in July 2012 once our Daughter has sat her final GCSE exams. Hopefully I will then get both children into a High School for the end of the Australian school year so they can make friends before Aus Schools break up for Summer.

It's hard to know whats best, come out asap or wait till our 15yr old sits all her GCSE's in 2012.!!

We could visit in Aug 2011 during our school summer holiday.......what is the weather like that time of year? It seems a shame to come all the way to Aus during your Winter!

Last edited by Little Lisa 1971; Jan 28th 2011 at 8:12 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.