Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Freight to Australia

Freight to Australia

Old Apr 1st 2014, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Davide1042 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Freight to Australia

I am sure this is a frequent query...........so i am for some idea what we should take with us to melbourne, we are a family with two young boys, will rent initially, will the tvs and games consoles, ipads work etc? And a rough cost for around 10 boxes.......thanks in advance
Old Apr 1st 2014, 10:12 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freight to Australia

Originally Posted by Davide1042
I am sure this is a frequent query...........so i am for some idea what we should take with us to melbourne, we are a family with two young boys, will rent initially, will the tvs and games consoles, ipads work etc? And a rough cost for around 10 boxes.......thanks in advance
You want to think about shipping everything. There are two removal companies in the partner forums - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128 who can give you quotes.

I'm not sure on just sending a few boxes - there are other companies who can do that - hopefully someone will be along with a recommendation. If you do only send a few boxes, what do you intend to do for furniture?

All the electrics will work - bring a few UK multiway leads / power boards for things like setting up TV's, DVD, etc - that way you only need to change the plug on the lead and come in handy for phone chargers and other devices with transformer plugs that you wont be able to change.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 11:37 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Freight to Australia

I can't believe a family with 2 young boys only has 10 boxes!

Remember that rentals here are completely unfurnished - not even a fridge, so you will need all your household goods.

BB
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:23 am
Just Joined

Davide1042 is an unknown quantity at this point

so we were thinking of taking personal effects and buying furniture in Aus. Would it be cheaper to ship everything over ther
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

We brought all our electricals. Everything works including the TV. Good advice on the multi plug patch boards. don't bother with the free view or sky boxes. They won't work. Unfortunately our packers got hold of them before we could hide them away. Packers grab everything.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:31 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Freight to Australia

so we were thinking of taking personal effects and buying furniture in Aus. Would it be cheaper to ship everything over ther
Yes. It will be cheaper to ship everything than ship 10 boxes and buy everything else. The only exception to this is if all your old stuff was nearing the end of its life. Even then you might well find it cheaper to replace it in the UK and ship the replacements to Australia.

BB
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 2:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bring everything!
if you walk round your house and calculate the replacement cost you will see why!! And loads of multi point power boards and long extension leads

Lots of recommendations (and otherwise) on the forum, just search back through the last few pages for threads on shipping.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well a container would cost £4-5k. As Polly suggests, just walk around your house and imagine buying everything new again, you would get to £5k very quickly...