Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

freaking out about my 1st week in Sydney

freaking out about my 1st week in Sydney

Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

tina_lb is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy freaking out about my 1st week in Sydney

i finally got my PR visa 2 weeks ago, i'm single and looking to share a place, i have checked realestate.com.au, and domain.com.au for a temporary stay...i don't know how to go through this, i need to go somewhere right from the airport, but where and how?!
i can rent upon arrival but is it possible to pay and move in right away? or do i have to wait and fill applications?!
i thought about temporary backpacking but i heard it's not really safe..what do you think? anyone experienced?
please help, your advices are way too appreciated.

Tina
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: freaking out about my 1st week in Sydney

Originally Posted by tina_lb

i finally got my PR visa 2 weeks ago, i'm single and looking to share a place, i have checked realestate.com.au, and domain.com.au for a temporary stay...i don't know how to go through this, i need to go somewhere right from the airport, but where and how?!
i can rent upon arrival but is it possible to pay and move in right away? or do i have to wait and fill applications?!
i thought about temporary backpacking but i heard it's not really safe..what do you think? anyone experienced?

Tina
Hi, don't panic!
I haven't been to sydney in a while but if you are worried stay out of the city and find a back packers elsewhere - maybe coogee, manly - I saw someone had put a house share website on here earlier - i tink it was something like www.flatmatefinders.com.au
hope this helps an good luck! I'm jealous!
Helen
Old Nov 14th 2007, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

cratfy is on a distinguished road

When are you going Tina?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 2:05 pm
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

I'm doing more or less the same. Just go into a backpackers for a week and look that way. Irt means you can rent a place because you liek it, not out of necessity. You don't want somewhere that turns out to be shit and be stuck there. I might know someone looking for a tenant though, PM me if you're interested.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 3:35 pm
DMH
Forum Regular

DMH is an unknown quantity at this point

What's wrong with staying in a hotel till you're sorted?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 4:22 pm

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute

Tina
My advice would be...

First week.
Just book into a hotel, take it easy, get over the jet lag, get used to the new climate/timezone and don't worry about anything.

Second week.
Hire a car, find a caravan park and rent one of their static vans, get your tax file number sorted, open bank account and buy your own car.
You can use the van park address to put the car in your own name, address for your bank account and somewhere to have the tax file number sent too.

Third week.
Start job hunting and house hunting

This is along the lines of what i did last time i went over as a working holiday maker on my own and one of the options i'm considering for when i go again as a permanent resident.

Hope that helps alittle.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

The Y Hotel (http://www.yhotel.com.au/) is cheap and central.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Hi!! Im not sure who said backpackers were not safe? but I stayed for three months in Australia in Backpackers, 6 weeks of that in Sydney and the standard is very high. there loads of independent ones, or theres the YHA central hostel, you can book on line for that. Its a great way to meet people and not be isolated in your hotel room. Sydney central has a restaurant and bar too.

try hostelbookers.com and if you need some space they do have single rooms too.

Good luck
Jackie
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

vgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to all

Hi,

I agree there are lots of backpacker hostels in Sydney that are safe, try the YHA or BASE - I have stayed at both and there are plenty of people who are there finding work and somewhere more permanent.

Also in Sydney there is a Travellers Contact Point http://www.travellers.com.au/ -
7th Floor, Dymocks Building
428 George Street
SYDNEY NSW 2000
AUSTRALIA

is above Dymocks - if you go in there they have a board where people post up adverts for flatshares (got ours in Sydney when we were there this way).

also try http://www.gumtree.com.au/sydney/2246_1.html - gumtree seems extremely popular over here.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 3:48 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Tina

When are you arriving Tina?

S
Old Nov 15th 2007, 5:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Helene i checked flatmate.com.au and created a profile. thank you for the link it's actually the best so far. Temporary back packers will enjoy hostels in the city but not a permanent migrant..
i'm most probably going after Christmas, i booked one flight (the only one available) on Jan 17th 2008. i tried to get other options but airlines are packed now that Christmas is near. i've got till Dec 05 to confirm. if so, i'll be there on Jan 18.
i might then stay in a hotel for a week and within it i'll look for a place to share...i think it's the best way. i'll see how it goes then.

Thanks again everyone you were really helpful
Old Nov 15th 2007, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Helene i checked flatmate.com.au and created a profile. thank you for the link it's actually the best so far. Temporary back packers will enjoy hostels in the city but not a permanent migrant..
i'm most probably going after Christmas, i booked one flight (the only one available) on Jan 17th 2008. i tried to get other options but airlines are packed now that Christmas is near. i've got till Dec 05 to confirm. if so, i'll be there on Jan 18.
i might then stay in a hotel for a week and within it i'll look for a place to share...i think it's the best way. i'll see how it goes then.

Thanks again everyone you were really helpful
Completely disagree. Staying at a backpackers hostel initially will give you a safe roof over your head, time to breath and explore the city, and meet other people who have just arrived and may be in the city for six months or more. It will also give you easy access to information about the city, and the opportunity to find out about others' experiences.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
I'm doing more or less the same. Just go into a backpackers for a week and look that way. Irt means you can rent a place because you liek it, not out of necessity. You don't want somewhere that turns out to be shit and be stuck there. I might know someone looking for a tenant though, PM me if you're interested.
Thanks! yes sure if you know someone up to rent a room let me know. i appreciate it
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Dammit best give up the best secret in Aussie

Here you go, trust me it's really good.

http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/details.cfm?hostelid=29
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Completely disagree. Staying at a backpackers hostel initially will give you a safe roof over your head, time to breath and explore the city, and meet other people who have just arrived and may be in the city for six months or more. It will also give you easy access to information about the city, and the opportunity to find out about others' experiences.
I'll second that, plus don't forget Hostels have private rooms too not just dorms and luggage storage, much cheaper than hotels. Plenty to choose from in Sydney. We stayed twice at what was I think Footprints on Pitt Street, name changed now but looks the same. My Bro stayed at the YHA and liked it. Central to trans links for when you're traipsing round looking at flats! Good luck! x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.