Frazzled.

Old Oct 29th 2003, 2:25 pm
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

There are parents out there who do believe every word their childs tells them, but not all of us are the same. Just as not all teachers are the same, but as this teacher apparently has a reputation for shouting at the kids and there were witnesses, you can't just put it down to a child telling lies.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 3:26 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Frazzled.

Originally posted by dotty
I am currently looking after my friends lovely little child while she is in Hospital. Yesterday I pick him up from school to find him, red sweating, obviously been crying. Seems straight after lunch which is about an hour they had PE. Which means basically 2.5 hours out in the sun straight, newish school, basically no shade areas. Anyway it seems hes told the teacher hes just to hot to keep on playing tiggy and refused to play anymore. According to 3 witnesses to this shes stuck her face about 6 inches from his and shouted, get up keep moving, about 3 times.

Horrified, I bail up the teacher this morning, and ask what on earth is going on, she starts shouting at Me!! that its hot 32 degrees her job is stressful, school cant afford shade areas, kids should do as they are told. (Despite being on the verge of collapse it seems). Kids own fault he had no water, (despite fact he had water bottle I find out they are not allowed to take them as it encourages magpies).

Frankly I feel like making a big stink to the school, I mean I know its hot here in summer everywhere not just here, I am not some picky mum, my problem is why are chiildren (aged 6) still being made to be in the sun for such a long period in the middle of the day. The teachers attitude frankly is appaling, no concern for anyone except herself. I cant believe this sort of cra* is still going on with sun cancer education and all. Surely teachers cant carry on screaming at kids these days??

I guess I am just letting off steam, but heat here is a real issue for kids, everywhere in summer in OZ. Is this practice going on everywhere?? Get up and keep moving in 32 degrees seems barbaric to me. I'm so mad I feel like ringing the school. Any mums out there have any feelings on this, like would you be angry?

Well Dotty, I respect you and all that, you've got a lot of great info, but I think you are being a whinger.

I don't know what everyone else says here because I can't be bothered to read through 5 pages, I expect they are all cheering you on.

If you've got a problem with this, then go and see the teacher. Okay you'll probably get some moral back up on here, but that isn't really addressing the problem is it? "Oh I feel like doing this and that"...well you've done the talking now go and do something about it.

FWIW....I feel sorry for these poor teachers. As has been said before, they don't get a chance to teach , its more like crowd control, at least in the UK anyway. Part of the problem with youth's in this country is that they have never been displined, and a lot of that is because schools have no power to administer it.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

joecan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr mover
so what i see happening around us to day ,scares the living s**t out of me , in Adelaide at the moment we have huge problems with gangs , of kids who have no self respect,for themselves or any one else, when confronted in the courts , the excuses are "they come from a broken home " or "no farther figure to guide them" i went to a job two weeks ago were a mother had to call the police to get her own SON evicted out of the house, we took all her furniture to store as the son ,had threatened to come back "and burn the bitch down", the police could only hold him for a limited period, SHE would not lay charges , his room was trashed he had thrown his stereo through the window, punched holes in every wall smashed the door off the hinges , the room was strewn with marujiauna, he obviously , had a major problem [psychosis] we had a situation in the 80,s were un married mothers were given welfare housing ,so they could bring their kids up ,we are now paying for it, with kids who have no idea of a male role in society....only my thoughts ,and not meant as a role guide .. MM

Sorry but I have to say it...now who's being negative.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 3:41 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by mr mover
I dont have skin cancer, ............. MM

Yet!!:lecture:
Old Oct 29th 2003, 3:46 pm
WBB

Originally posted by vicky o
Yet!!:lecture:

was waiting for somebody to say it.

Old Oct 29th 2003, 3:59 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

I'm also going to have my two-penneth worth!!

Originally, Dotty was asking for advice on whether to take this further. Most of you(and I would too, if I had read this post earlier) agreed that it should indeed be taken further. It needs investigating. That is what the meeting will be about. Who's talking about anyone losing their job? Maybe the teacher was having a bad day! Maybe the six year old was having a bad day (what with his mum and all) . We don't know. I'm sure now that Dotty has been persuaded to take it further, it will all come out in the wash, so to speak!

Good on you, Dotty for keeping this little boy's interests at heart. You are a true friend and I hope that my friends would do the same for me in this situation. I would certainly be tackling the issue as you are!! Keep me posted by PM if necessary to keep the trolls off your back!!!

Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:10 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

MM, we can only take dottys thread at face value. I certainly dont always agree with her views, but I think that to automatically assume that shes lying about something is a bit presumptuous. I dont have any problem giving her my advice or opinion. It would be the same if the situation existed or if she made it up ie it was a hypothetical "what would you do if ...". (btw, I do believe the situation to be a real one but everyone is entitled to their own beliefs).

Now onto the child & the problem ....

At the risk of being labelled as uncaring, a child abuser & a heap of other names , I find the fact that the teacher is forcing the poor child to do PE on a terribly hot day (sorry J, but I do think 32 degrees here in Brisbanes humidity is NOT something I would like my kids being forced to run around in) & the fact that hes been denied water as the main problem. While I am NO WAY condoning the teachers attitude or what she did in regard to yelling at the child, the truth is that no child has ever died from being yelled at. Heat exhaustion & heat stroke on the other hand are extremely serious & life threatening problems & things that can easily happen in a situation like this, especially as small children dehydrate so easily. To me, the yelling is a secondary issue .... not to be ignored by any stretch of the imgination, but I think the school policy in regard to PE & the attitude of the teachers needs to be addressed. We do have to bear in mind that things said can be taken out of context &/or other things ommitted/taken the wrong way, but to me the teachers attitude that it was the childs "fault" because he "forgot to bring his water bottle" is seriously questionable. The child is 6 for gods sake, he cant be expected to remember something like that. Thats what the teacher is there for, to supervise & part of that supervision is to ensure that the child is in a position to participate in an activity. In this case I think she failed miserably in her duty of care.

Originally posted by vicky o
I'm also going to have my two-penneth worth!!

Originally, Dotty was asking for advice on whether to take this further. Most of you(and I would too, if I had read this post earlier) agreed that it should indeed be taken further. It needs investigating. That is what the meeting will be about. Who's talking about anyone losing their job? Maybe the teacher was having a bad day! Maybe the six year old was having a bad day (what with his mum and all) . We don't know. I'm sure now that Dotty has been persuaded to take it further, it will all come out in the wash, so to speak!
I agree with vicky, the main point is to take the matter further, preferably with the principal as I already mentioned, as talking with the teacher has already been tried & there was a communication breakdown. I think that there needs to be some serious discussion about how PE classes can be changed to work around the heat issue ie classes at 9-10am (as my kids school has them) before the hottest part of the day, sessions geared to the season & time of year ie ball skills in a covered area rather than being forced to run around in the sun when its hot etc. Then a discussion on the way that the teacher handled the problem is obviously in order ...without drama but with a view to working out why it (the yelling & attitude problem) took place.

When it comes down to it everyone can have a bad day, but the underlying reasons behind the situation need to be addressed.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Morning all

I can't believe how off the rails this has gone, I can't believe that people would suggest this is made up. Why the **** would anyone do that? Are people insane out there?

Teachers are not superior beings, they have no right to treat children inappropriatley, I just hope the little boy is okay and no long term damage is done.

Di
Old Oct 30th 2003, 12:06 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Are people insane out there?

Di
They say that 'weirdos' prowl on these kind of forums, I know your not one cause I've met you!!! But maybe they are out there, looking at this thread it certainly seems it!
:scared: :scared:
Old Oct 30th 2003, 12:09 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by janeyray
They say that 'weirdos' prowl on these kind of forums, I know your not one cause I've met you!!! But maybe they are out there, looking at this thread it certainly seems it!
:scared: :scared:
Not only weirdos, but people with multi personality usernames, their behaviour reminds me of how someone described the magpies on a different thread, work in twos and threes to distract and attack.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 12:13 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Not only weirdos, but people with multi personality usernames, their behaviour reminds me of how someone described the magpies on a different thread, work in twos and threes to distract and attack.
They come after dark
:scared:
as 'Wilf' use to say (where is he!!?? )
Old Oct 30th 2003, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Paul99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jirrupin
can't think who you mean?

dotty didn't exagerate? course not. 6yr old having 2.5 hrs PE lesson? In continuous direct sunlight?? sure.

Kid gets shouted at,

So what??

long term damage?

My arse!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Paul99

dotty didn't exagerate? course not. 6yr old having 2.5 hrs PE lesson? In continuous direct sunlight?? sure.

Kid gets shouted at,

So what??

long term damage?

My arse!

Yawn For people who don't really believe in the validity of this thread, they don't half spend a lot of their time contributing towards it.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 12:38 am
Just Joined

Paul99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Yawn For people who don't really believe in the validity of this thread, they don't half spend a lot of their time contributing towards it.
sorry, thought it was an informative discussion.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:50 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Originally posted by Paul99

Kid gets shouted at,

So what??

long term damage?

My arse!
Just goes to show you don't read things properly, dotty didn't say he had a 2.5 hours PE lesson she said they had been out for an hours lunch and then had a PE lesson to my reckoning that makes 1.5 hours PE. Sorry but if you don't read things properly you can't comment. Anyhow this is nitpicking, I am getting like the rest of you:scared:

At the end of the day the kids in Oz should have access at all times to water and some shade, the school is new and have no shade, surely in Australia this should be priority if kids are doing sports outside in the hottest part of the day, they arn't allowed to take their water bottles out with them because it attracts magpies, could they not all put their bottles in a large plastic box with a lid on, and also is kids not dehydrating not more important than it may attract magpies?

What has happened here needs to be addressed but not just the teachers attitude but also the schools policies for PE outdoors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.