Frazzled.

Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:13 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not siding with anyone here.... but just a few thoughts...

- no teacher should intimidate a child, ever.

- But one way to look at is that 32 degrees is not an extreme temperature downunder. It's roasting in the UK, but for people brought up in that heat it's not such a big deal. They may not understand why some kids struggle in those temperatures.

The teacher should be more understanding of such differences, but there [i]could[/] be another side to the story, and perhaps teachers would struggle to teach PE at all if every kid struggled with the heat every day. This maybe the teachers view, rightly or wrongly.

This sounds like I think what the teacher did was right, I don't. She sounds like an idiot - but it's worth remembering that people aren't all the same.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:14 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
justy out of interest m/m do you have kids????
yes i have two married daughters , and my first grand child due next year . i am the son of a british navy petty officer , who was a fair but disciplined man , ie i never got out of line . so what i see happening around us to day ,scares the living s**t out of me , in Adelaide at the moment we have huge problems with gangs , of kids who have no self respect,for themselves or any one else, when confronted in the courts , the excuses are "they come from a broken home " or "no farther figure to guide them" i went to a job two weeks ago were a mother had to call the police to get her own SON evicted out of the house, we took all her furniture to store as the son ,had threatened to come back "and burn the bitch down", the police could only hold him for a limited period, SHE would not lay charges , his room was trashed he had thrown his stereo through the window, punched holes in every wall smashed the door off the hinges , the room was strewn with marujiauna, he obviously , had a major problem [psychosis] we had a situation in the 80,s were un married mothers were given welfare housing ,so they could bring their kids up ,we are now paying for it, with kids who have no idea of a male role in society....only my thoughts ,and not meant as a role guide .. MM
Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:29 am
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr mover
yes i have two married daughters , and my first grand child due next year . i am the son of a british navy petty officer , who was a fair but disciplined man , ie i never got out of line . so what i see happening around us to day ,scares the living s**t out of me , in Adelaide at the moment we have huge problems with gangs , of kids who have no self respect,for themselves or any one else, when confronted in the courts , the excuses are "they come from a broken home " or "no farther figure to guide them" i went to a job two weeks ago were a mother had to call the police to get her own SON evicted out of the house, we took all her furniture to store as the son ,had threatened to come back "and burn the bitch down", the police could only hold him for a limited period, SHE would not lay charges , his room was trashed he had thrown his stereo through the window, punched holes in every wall smashed the door off the hinges , the room was strewn with marujiauna, he obviously , had a major problem [psychosis] we had a situation in the 80,s were un married mothers were given welfare housing ,so they could bring their kids up ,we are now paying for it, with kids who have no idea of a male role in society....only my thoughts ,and not meant as a role guide .. MM

You are right, we have no rights to control badly behaved children anymore.

Let's for arguements sake say Dotty is telling the truth.

What's has your above post got to do with a teacher behaving that way to a child that has done nothing wrong? Surely your comments are for a different thread as it has nothing what so ever to do with Dotty's first post. If a child is inocent they must be protected.

You have asked us to read posts that Dotty has done in the past, because you feel she is a liar and a drama queen. I have not yet had time to do this, but I remember reading on a thread the other day that chats about, PB, Wilf and Dotty. It seemed that most people thought that although PB & Wilf spouted a load of rubbish, Dotty on the other hand always gave a frank and honest opinion, she can be quite negative, which isn't nice when we're all planning to have a wonderful new start, but at the end of the day life can be a bitch sometimes and someone has to say it.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:29 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Surfer Chick
Isn't it late where you are?

I expect she's in bed a sleep and hopefully not being kept awake by your terrible comments about her
NO its not , and wake up before you get here you sound naive... mm
Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:33 am
Banned

Originally posted by Surfer Chick
You are right, we have no rights to control badly behaved children anymore.

Let's for arguements sake say Dotty is telling the truth.

What's has your above post got to do with a teacher behaving that way to a child that has done nothing wrong? Surely your comments are for a different thread as it has nothing what so ever to do with Dotty's first post. If a child is inocent they must be protected.

You have asked us to read posts that Dotty has done in the past, because you feel she is a liar and a drama queen. I have not yet had time to do this, but I remember reading on a thread the other day that chats about, PB, Wilf and Dotty. It seemed that most people thought that although PB & Wilf spouted a load of rubbish, Dotty on the other hand always gave a frank and honest opinion, she can be quite negative, which isn't nice when we're all planning to have a wonderful new start, but at the end of the day life can be a bitch sometimes and someone has to say it.
READ who the post was intended for ........
MM
Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

As one who has a lot of respect for Dotty, I am appalled that anyone should suggest she is telling anything but the truth.

There are people on this forum who always target individual posters and no matter what is said they will disagree or try to rubbish the post.

I find Dottys posts entertaining and informative even though I may not always agree.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Mercury Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

How can a post deteriorate so & end up in a slanging match debating whether the poster was telling the truth or not??????

GROW UP!!! The six year old at the start probably has more sense!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mercury Monkey
How can a post deteriorate so & end up in a slanging match debating whether the poster was telling the truth or not??????

If the six year old actually exists perhaps he or she would have more sense!!!!!!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:27 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Mercury Monkey

exactly.

makes you wonder about the mentality of some of the posters on here.

Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:28 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MeganEkno
If the six year old actually exists perhaps he or she would have more sense!!!!!!

I think you might have walked into that one MeganEKno with your eyes closed.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Reading through these posts I can't help thinking the whole issue has been blown completely out of proportion. The child had a PE lesson and it was hot, whether there was lunch break before hand has nothing to do with the child not being able to participate.

The teacher has 30 children to look after if one of them decides that he is not going to participate what do you suggest she should do? If she allows the child the option of sitting out it will only be a matter of minutes before all of the others decide they can't be bothered either. Children are at school to learn and they an only do this is they obey the rules. Also the 3 'witnesses' were not party to what the child had to say in response to his disobedience, for all you know he could have told her to p*** off!!

I apologise if I offend anyone, but as a teacher myself I see this from a completely different viewpoint than others. Kids play up all the time, teachers need to let them know who is the boss. If they don't then the kids will run riot. I have seen this time and time again. Put it this way if the teacher is that strict with them at least they are actually controlled and are probably learning something !!!

Don't get me wrong, she shouldn't have bellowed in the child's face like that and she should be aware of his difficult circumstances, but the judgement some of you are making just shows the lack of respect and authority that teachers have to try and work against every day. Most parents believe their child's version of events before even thinking about what the teacher's version might be.

Parents are in to complain about the slightest thing and are on your back before they even know the truth. I could tell you a few stories of what little Johnny has gone home and told his Mum and what really happened!!

The kids now have more rights than the adults supervising them and they know it, it is all going a little bit too far.

:lecture:
Old Oct 29th 2003, 2:09 pm
tennisoz

I've just read quickly through most of this thread and thought I would add my two cents worth - this is what the forum is for after all.

I will declare my hand immediately by saying that I am a teacher (secondary) and Australian but teaching in Scotland now. So you think, he's going to leap to the defence of the teacher. Wrong!

If the events happened as described it is poor form on the part of the teacher and she should be reported, investigated and so on. However, in the interests of so called British justice you should always get the other side of the story before declaring someone guilty. This does not mean he just said dotty is lying it's just common sense to get the fullest possible picture before acting. At the 'end of the day' this may mean as well as the immediate issue that there could be a poor, stressed out individual who also needs help - the teacher I mean.

I would also the point that we are talking about someone's career and you don't just take that away from them without going through all the due procedures. Quite a few posters response to what they perceived as child bullying was adult bullying which isn't an adequate response in a civilised society.

I can tell you that schools these days have policies in place for all sorts of things. You name it, you have a policy on it. However in some instances it is just to think you have addressed an issue and to give some legal fallback in the event of being sued. I'm sure the school in question and the principal (principle!) have such policies and it might be a case of an individual teacher not following them.

My school has a bullying policy but bullying is rife. When issues of bullying are raised invariably the response is 'we've got a policy on that it says ..... ' (Bullying is rife on this forum too incidentally but that's another matter!)

Rightly or wrongly we all tend to instantly categorise people in this forum by their comments. I must admit, having just joined this forum in the last few months that I do have dotty in the 'whingeing pom' category. It is just the way she comes across to me. (I can't help it and perhaps she can't help it).

We all know the story about the boy who cried 'wolf' and what happened when the wolf was really there. I guess this is why there have been so many posts about is she telling it as it really happened or is she exaggerating.

At the end of the day though the important issue to address is the child and making sure the problem is resolved so that it doesn't happen again. I'll be following this thread with keen interest to see what happens.

I could say a lot more but I'll leave it to respond to what this invariably elicits

TennisOz

Old Oct 29th 2003, 2:14 pm
tennisoz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tennisoz

Yes, para 4 line 1, word missing and probably some other typos; rushed, bell about to go, free period ending. And why am I in this forum - I'm British as well, I'm an expat and I'm moving back to Oz in the next few years and I find it extremely entertaining - better than Oz TV

TennisOz

Old Oct 29th 2003, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by karawara88
As one who has a lot of respect for Dotty, I am appalled that anyone should suggest she is telling anything but the truth.

There are people on this forum who always target individual posters and no matter what is said they will disagree or try to rubbish the post.

I find Dottys posts entertaining and informative even though I may not always agree.
Thats exactly what I think. Well said Chris.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

In our situation we took what our son told us with a pinch of salt (a large one) thinking that he was missing his old teacher whom he adored and taking a little time to settle and get into the new ways of his new teacher, what a mistake that was, by doing this i prolonged his suffering by about 6 weeks and feel awful about it. I agree sometimes children can exagerate a problem some can even just make them up, but parents shouldnt be afraid to defend their children, teachers are not a superior race to be feared but only someone who is doing a job and should be respected as such.

But if a teacher has to resort to bellowing in the face of a 6 year old who is in distress and by Dottys account other families seem to have had a problem with the same teacher then perhaps she is in the wrong job or dealing with the wrong agegroup.

Treat others as you'd expect to be treated yourself is something i've always taught my children, sometimes they have to be reminded but how can they remember that if they have a teacher belittling them?

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.