Fraud warning

Old Sep 26th 2007, 9:51 am
Just Joined

aussielot is on a distinguished road
Default Fraud warning

Hi, just a quick thread to say that we have been contacted by someone claiming to be from the fraud squad and wanting personal information re: Bank account etc, after giving no information as i am an untrusting bugger he claimed that he could close down accounts for 60 days as he works for ANZ, Commonwealth and Westpac, still he got no information, i felt i was on a win win as the wife would not be able to spend money!!!!, basically after contacting the bank's they said it is on the increase with people claiming to investigate fraud.

Be aware of these phonecalls as it did seem genuine and once fraud is mentioned in a different country it is easy to give info which may not have been given in the UK

Last edited by aussielot; Sep 26th 2007 at 10:32 am.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fraud warning

Originally Posted by aussielot
Hi, just a quick thread to say that we have been contacted by someone claiming to be from the fraud squad and wanting personal information re: Bank account etc, after giving no information as i am an untrusting bugger he claimed that he could close down accounts for 60 days as he works for ANZ, Commonwealth and Westpac, still he got no information, i felt i was on a win win as the wife would not be able to spend money!!!!, basically after contacting the bank's they said it is on the increase with people claiming to investigate fraud.

Be aware of these phonecalls as it did seem genuine and once fraud is mentioned in a different country it is easy to give info which may not have been given in the UK
How did he get your details in the first place to phone you - I presume it was a phone call?

Trish
Old Sep 26th 2007, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

ianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldnt take anything as gospel unless its a formal letter posted from your branch, Infact Id have told them to "Do One!!"
Old Sep 26th 2007, 10:53 am
Just Joined

aussielot is on a distinguished road

I have no idea where the details he had came from, he had date of birth, home address, phone numbers, he new more about my wife than i did!!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:54 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Alot of these people use info sold from data gathered when people fill out forms online for competions and info ie holiday magazines etc. They have your basic info and go from there. Another way of getting info is from stolen lists of customers from banks, stolen lists with personal details which lists pay details or payment details ie direct debits due to a company and they may only have the financial provider. There are loads of other ways they get it but I will let you use your imagination.