Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fraser Island and Lake McKenzie

Fraser Island and Lake McKenzie

Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default Fraser Island and Lake McKenzie

Has anyone been on to Fraser island, 4x4 of course, and had a drive to Lake McKenzie, or is it just guided tours that go there?

I have a brochure for a one day excursion, but it does not go to Lake McKenzie, my whole reason for wanting to go!!!

Any info, help appreciated

Bill
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:13 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fraser Island and Lake McKenzie

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Has anyone been on to Fraser island, 4x4 of course, and had a drive to Lake McKenzie, or is it just guided tours that go there?

I have a brochure for a one day excursion, but it does not go to Lake McKenzie, my whole reason for wanting to go!!!

Bill
Yeah I've been several years ago (backpacking), you can drive to Lake McKenzie, cant remember if Lake Mckenzie is the lake where you need to park the 4x4 on the beach and walk inland for 30 minutes.

Your probably best hiring a 4x4, but this may cost megabucks, but probably worth it. There is also king fisher bay resort which is mega cool, stay there about 3 years ago.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:23 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

We went this time last year.
Booked a landcruiser with bay4wd and can recommend them.
I know we went to McKenzie but can't remember either if it's a walk or drive.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

If you happen to find a silver ring in Lake McKenzie can I have it back please?

Thanks

SS
Old Sep 30th 2005, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BillnLinz

Bill
I spent 3 days camping on Fraser Island last year. It was great.
There was a group of us, arranged through the YHA hostel.
We had a big landrover which ploughed through everything when all the wee 4x4s were getting stuck in the sand!!
Lake Wabby was the one you walked over the sand dunes to, Lake Mackenzie was beautiful.... you could park fairly near.
One of the many amazing sights that I remember from Fraser Island was driving along the beach and all of a sudden a humpback whale breached right out of the water...... just seemed like yards from the shore!
It was incredible....
Alison
Old Sep 30th 2005, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rapitts
Yeah I've been several years ago (backpacking), you can drive to Lake McKenzie, cant remember if Lake Mckenzie is the lake where you need to park the 4x4 on the beach and walk inland for 30 minutes.

Your probably best hiring a 4x4, but this may cost megabucks, but probably worth it. There is also king fisher bay resort which is mega cool, stay there about 3 years ago.

We have the 4x4, no idea how to use the damn thing, it was bought more for its people and luggage carrying abilities, but before you say it, with the idea of doing things like this in mind!!!

I guess i feel a bit apprehensive about driving on sand, a bit like an Aussie would feel like driving in snow, which i have done many times coming from the Highlands!!!

just need to try it i suppose :scared:
Old Sep 30th 2005, 11:58 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bill,

Hubby is off on a lads week to Fraser Island (footie team break )in about 2 weeks time,dont know what the plans are...(all hush ..hush, i am a wife wot do i know about it )

I have heard though a beach permit is needed

Go for it thats wot you came here for!!

Donna.