Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fraser Island for a holiday?

Fraser Island for a holiday?

Old Sep 23rd 2007, 10:28 am
Just Joined

vickye50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fraser Island for a holiday?

We want to go away for about 5 nights during the christmas break. We have just moved to Brisbane and fancy somewhere close by. I am pregnant and can't really fly when it gets to late Dec, so thought Fraser Island may be a good option, as we can drive there. We also have a 3 year old, who loves the beach. Does anybody recommend it for a family hol? Also, anyone been there over Christmas break - will it be too overcrowded? Will a Honda CRV be okay to drive on the island? Look forward to hearing from anybody who has been there!
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 10:48 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fraser Island for a holiday?

We'll be there for 3 nights between Christmas and New Year...! Been before too... If you're going to go inland at all it can get very bumpy... If you're pregnant you might not want to do this... Personally in summer I would not take anything other than a proper 4x4 with low range over there...
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:00 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

The beaches for the children are the lakes on the island you do not swim off the beaches East coast on Fraiser sharks and rips.

I agree being preganant you might find the travelling on the island not that great.

Was there in June time and loved it, but just hubby and I and want to go back with our older children.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

DCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really nice

I've been there a few times and like the others have said...it's very bumpy. I certainly wouldn't be going over then in a CR-V either, from what I've read about the part time 4wd, it wouldn't cope with the soft sand.

Stunning place to visit though.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Fraser Island is a fabulous place - really stunning - but it would not be somewhere I would want to do if I was heavily pregnant as the tracks are just rough sand and extremely bumpy (tree roots etc). We saw enough people stuck in the sand to agree with the previous poster who said you need a proper 4WD with low range - in some places it seemed to be a bit of a spectator sport seeing who would make it through without getting stuck!

My children loved it there, but I was extremely careful with my youngest (6 at the time) when we were out walking because of the risk of dingo attacks. In fact a day or so after we left a child was attacked at the resort we stayed at. Such attacks are relatively rare but enough of an issue that Anna Bligh has today announced new measures to try and contain the problem.

The beaches at the lakes are lovely, but Lake Wabbi is quite a trek and you probably won't want to do that in the heat if you're pregnant. Lake McKenzie is very close to the track/car parks.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:44 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by vickye50
We want to go away for about 5 nights during the christmas break. We have just moved to Brisbane and fancy somewhere close by. I am pregnant and can't really fly when it gets to late Dec, so thought Fraser Island may be a good option, as we can drive there. We also have a 3 year old, who loves the beach. Does anybody recommend it for a family hol? Also, anyone been there over Christmas break - will it be too overcrowded? Will a Honda CRV be okay to drive on the island? Look forward to hearing from anybody who has been there!
don't take the CR-V, i wouldn't consider it in ours
i've used these people a couple of times with no probs
http://www.bay4wd.com.au/
as someone else has said, you might find it a bit bumpy with the pregnancy and possibly the heat is a consideration too
would you camp or stay in one of the lodges?
don't forget to organise all your permits too
i think this site tells you what you need to know
http://www.fraserisland.net/
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

peast01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by vickye50
I definatly would not recomend taking your CRV over, we took our Rav 4 over and it was near on impossible to drive, after half a day we had to hire a proper 4x4 to cope with the tracks. Alot of the tracks through the island are very bumpy and hard work driving, its good fun but i dont know how you would cope being pregnant. We stayed at the hotel on the island (i think it was called the kingfisher) and personally we werent over impressed with the standards
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

DCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really nice

Have you considered Stradbroke Island?
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

would anyone consider a kia sorento or ford explorer??
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79

yeah, as long as you keep off the sand.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:38 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
Only as a courtesy car while my proper 4x4 is being serviced.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:02 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

If you're pregnant, I would recommend staying in Hervey Bay and taking, a day trip or possibly an overnighter to Fraser Island. You should also be aware that if you have small children, there are dingos there too and they can be nasty where kids are concerned.

We were there last month, it is a truly magical place, amazing! But as all the roads are deep sand, the trip might be a bit traumatic, for your pregnant self!!
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

vickye50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies! Think we may go there another time (without the Honda and when I'm not pregnant!) and try somewhere else for the Christmas holidays. We want to relax, not worry about dingoes or getting stuck in sand!!
Old Sep 24th 2007, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

Heard good things about parts of Bribie Island, might be worth having a look there for a gentler holiday.

I want to go to Fraser too, but also concerned for my young kids with the wildlife.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 6:17 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Have you considered Stradbroke Island?
Oh I loved Straddie. We use to go there for school camps. Watch the dingoes on Fraser (not joking)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.