Fraser Island

Old Jan 11th 2005, 6:24 pm
wombat42

Default Re: Fraser Island

Originally Posted by JerrySpringer
Are you for real? Australia's wildlife is something to be proud of, not something to be erradicated to make way for human trampling. What would you rather have? Personally I believe it is the 4x4s that should be removed from Fraser Island! Do you really support an entire dingo wipeout?
The dingoes on Fraser island should all be shot, besides the kid that was killed a few other people including a foreign backpacker was almost killed by them when they attacked her in packs. Call me old fashioned if l think the lives of humans are more important then some half breed dog that was introduced from Asia and not really even a native Aussie animal.

Last edited by wombat42; Jan 11th 2005 at 6:27 pm.

Old Jan 11th 2005, 6:30 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
The dingoes on Fraser island should all be shot, besides the kid that was killed a few other people including a foreign backpacker was almost killed by them when they attacked her in packs. Call me old fashioned if l think the lives of humans are more important then some half breed dog that was introduced from Asia and not really even a native Aussie animal.
oh dear you are entitled to your opinion but do you not understand the effect humans and tourism has had on the dingo's? With a bit of hard work ie. tourists not calling the dingo's and feeding them/ interacting with them etc, things would change. I think you have to put a bit of perspective on this - the incidents are very rare (unfortunate) and spaced out.

the dingo's are amazing to see - they are pure bred Dingo's - you won't see anything like them in a zoo I can assure you.

Lynn
Old Jan 11th 2005, 6:38 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
what a scaremongrer!!!

Its HUMANS that caused that tragedy with the little boy. Idiotic humans feed the dingo's food or leave scraps of food lying around. The dingo's are now not scared of humans and potentially could attack to get food from you.
The programme Fraser has in place will work with time - ie fines if you are caught interacting in anyway with the dingo's and education of tourists.

I agree the volume of 4x4's is far more detrimental to the island and tourists bathing in Lake Mackenzie with their polluting suncreams on.

On a better note it is a fantastic island if you are prepared to be ecologically friendly and learn about the eco systems in place. your average tourist spot it sure isn't.

Lynn

Think before you speak.

Have to agree Lynn

When I worked in a couple of Zoos in QLD a year ago, they said despite warning the toursists - both Aussie and british I hasten to add, they will persist in feed the dingoes.

I heard of a story about one couple were told three times not to feed them, warned that lack of human fear will make these wild dogs brave, and warned about the kid that was killed by them.

They STILL bought food and gave it to their toddler to feed 'the doggies' and have photos taken.

No person deserves that to happed to them, but the rules are there for a reason. Adults should warn their kids of the dangers and not let them feed them.

And if an adult persists in feeding them, then they should also expect the side effects.

You would not get out of your car to feed a lion in a safari park, so why do it with a dingo.

Old Jan 11th 2005, 6:38 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Delete them. They are a nuisance, when I was there the buggers came into our campsite, took food & my rolled up sleeping bag (think they wanted to do some camping of there own). Fraser is fantastic though, one of the highlights of Oz.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 6:41 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

You are entitled to your views but I find yor views are very simular to native tribes in undeveloped countries where animals like Tigers and lions have been hunted to the edge of extinction just because they have killed a Human.

Haven't Dingos been in Australia longer than the White man anyway?

So who gives us the right to choose which animal has the right to stay?
Old Jan 11th 2005, 6:42 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
oh dear you are entitled to your opinion but do you not understand the effect humans and tourism has had on the dingo's? With a bit of hard work ie. tourists not calling the dingo's and feeding them/ interacting with them etc, things would change. I think you have to put a bit of perspective on this - the incidents are very rare (unfortunate) and spaced out.

the dingo's are amazing to see - they are pure bred Dingo's - you won't see anything like them in a zoo I can assure you.

Lynn
About the backpacker that was almost killed by a pack of dingoes, one of the dingoes was trying to bite her in the throat to get a quick kill. Lovely animals
are'nt they.

Old Jan 11th 2005, 6:44 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

About the backpacker that was almost killed by a pack of dingoes, one of the dingoes was trying to bite her in the throat to get a quick kill. Lovely animals
are'nt they.
You haven't answered my point about reasons Dingo's behave this way. You are obviously just going to avoid the point. No point in debating any further with you.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

JerrySpringer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beegee
Haven't Dingos been in Australia longer than the White man anyway?

So who gives us the right to choose which animal has the right to stay?
I was just about to say the same thing.

Let's get rid of the whitefella since he was introduced to Australia from Europe and isn't an indigenous species!!! Plus he's a nuisance, is a threat to the native wildlife and does untold damage to the environment.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:35 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

The worlds largest sand lsland. great beaches, forsests and lakes, a must see for people traveling to OZ. But those bloody Dingoes ruin it they
should all be shot, they killed a little kid a few years ago.

And why stop there? Let's kill those sharks too so I can swim where I want. Why should I be the one who can't swim in canals at night? And the crocs - could make me some nice leather shoes. And the kangaroos, they're just too damn jumpy for my liking. And as for koalas, well they don't fool me with their slow ways and soft fur - off to the slaughter house I say. Me? I'm going to bag me a wombat! Hairy nosed little bastards...
Old Jan 12th 2005, 8:35 am
Professional Princess

are'nt they.

What a load of bollox.

These are native animals and as they say, 'if you swim with crocs, its your own risk'

What about the bastard kids that tried to spear wild dolphins in South Australia, Yay, lets shoot them too.

Backpacking/holidaying in a country that has the variety of dangerous wildlife such as Australia, carries a risk.

Do not think that because the wildlife doesnt conform to human standards, that it should be 'deleted'.

FFS, everyone knows about Fraser Island and its Dingo population.

I read that some kids were taunting a young wild kangaroo and it gave them a good kick.

I only wished I had been there to see it.

Treat wildlife with respect and know the risks. The Aussies I worked with at Currumbin, respected the wildlife, lived with it and not against it.

Old Jan 13th 2005, 11:13 am
Small Member

pienpeas is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to the thread.....what a brilliant place, especially at rugby world cup time!