Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Four stages of culture shock

Four stages of culture shock

Old Oct 3rd 2004, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Four stages of culture shock

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Probably my cynical nature (at times), but when I see anyone attempt to pigeon-hole anything as if it's definitive and final, my immediate reaction is to think "what a load of bollocks". Have to say that was my reaction here too...

Having said that, if you do it in an interesting way it doesn't really matter if it's true or not. Shakespeare did a good one...

THE SEVEN AGES
WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE

His acts being seven ages.

At first the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.

Then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school.

And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow.

Then a soldier
Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard.
Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon's mouth.

And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part.

The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slippered pantaloon.
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble pipes
And whistles in his sound.

Last scene of all
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

(disappears)

I dont think its fair to dismiss something as a load of bollocks just because it doesnt apply to you personally. This is a mistake many people make. They dont relate to something, so therefore its rubbish. I dont think the original post is pigeonholing, more a broad guideline to how many people feel during the emmigrating process. Judging by the responses, and my own personal experience, and that of new expats i have met, its a true enough guide to many of the emotions folks go through.

Dismissing it is similar to saying... "i've never felt the pain of childbirth and therefore it doesnt exist."
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 7:32 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
I dont think its fair to dismiss something as a load of bollocks just because it doesnt apply to you personally. This is a mistake many people make. They dont relate to something, so therefore its rubbish. I dont think the original post is pigeonholing, more a broad guideline to how many people feel during the emmigrating process. Judging by the responses, and my own personal experience, and that of new expats i have met, its a true enough guide to many of the emotions folks go through.

Dismissing it is similar to saying... "i've never felt the pain of childbirth and therefore it doesnt exist."
Here, here!

I know far too many people who think you can dismiss depression for example by saying 'Pull yourself together! What's there to be unhappy about?'

I work with people who've made suicide attempts after being spoken to like that.....
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest shock of all? for many that after all the waiting, holding the breath, dreaming, that the new day to day life existance will actually be pretty much the same.

Think about it, are you still likely to score a tosser of a boss, a brown nose workmate, a bully at school, a whinging neighbour, a nasty landlord, will everything in OZ look cheap when you earn aussie dollars, will you still get sick, will you love the weather when its been 30+ for 6 months, will the politicians still lie, will you still pay tax, will the real estate agent & car sales man suddenly be honest etc etc etc.

I think most find a lot here is exactly the same, thats the shock!
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 8:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Biggest shock of all? for many that after all the waiting, holding the breath, dreaming, that the new day to day life existance will actually be pretty much the same.

Think about it, are you still likely to score a tosser of a boss, a brown nose workmate, a bully at school, a whinging neighbour, a nasty landlord, will everything in OZ look cheap when you earn aussie dollars, will you still get sick, will you love the weather when its been 30+ for 6 months, will the politicians still lie, will you still pay tax, will the real estate agent & car sales man suddenly be honest etc etc etc.

I think most find a lot here is exactly the same, thats the shock!
Much is the same. As one ought to expect, Australia and the UK are not dissimilar countries (compared to going to live in somewhere like Japan). However what you *do* get compared to the UK is:

- better weather (and if 30+ for 6 months is too hot, just go to Vic where you don't get that kind of sustained heat).
- more space
- natural beauty that's different (I hesitate to say 'better')
- more sense of national pride and identity
- and you *don't* get proximity to Europe, so if frequent travel to the Continent is important to you, this is something you will miss.

I would agree that anyone expecting a better material standard of living, or anyone hoping to escape from the problems besetting any Western society, is probably wasting time and money going to Australia from the UK.

To extend that argument to say that no-one should emigrate (which is implicit in what you post - correct me if I'm wrong) is going too far.

Jeremy
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 8:10 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
2 months after I land my beloved is due to give birth our my first ... I don't think "same" is going to come into it.

Same seems like a safe option to me
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I think there is a distinct difference between genders in what affects them emotionally and mentally in emmigrating (just as with most other things too!!)

Whilst Jad states external factors, which do of course affect how you will feel, many people (especially women) will still feel low and depressed even if everything appears ok on the surface. I did not have any of the noticeable external factors Jad mentioned, yet still had a rough time assimilating to my new surroundings.
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 8:17 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

I tried moving to Ireland a while ago and failed miserably, the reason being that I was doing it for the wrong reasons.

My Lesson - You can't run away from yourself.

Fantastic place though
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Much is the same. As one ought to expect, Australia and the UK are not dissimilar countries (compared to going to live in somewhere like Japan). However what you *do* get compared to the UK is:

- better weather (and if 30+ for 6 months is too hot, just go to Vic where you don't get that kind of sustained heat).
- more space
- natural beauty that's different (I hesitate to say 'better')
- more sense of national pride and identity
- and you *don't* get proximity to Europe, so if frequent travel to the Continent is important to you, this is something you will miss.

I would agree that anyone expecting a better material standard of living, or anyone hoping to escape from the problems besetting any Western society, is probably wasting time and money going to Australia from the UK.

To extend that argument to say that no-one should emigrate (which is implicit in what you post - correct me if I'm wrong) is going too far.

Jeremy
My post does imply that at all. People are talking about the stages of shock and then the thread goes onto Shakespear and physchology.

My thread means exactly what it says! think about the day to day stuff too, because that will be a big chunk of your life none of the day to day hassle is any different no matter where you live.

Why does saying what should really be obvious offend? Its actually good common sense advice.

While you are on, why did you move my post on the situation with pedophiles in Australia, I though it was relevant to people living in Australia why was it moved? to the take it outside forum. I think awareness of this issue is vital to anyone living in Australia especially if they have kids.
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 1:40 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Podgypossum

I dont think its fair to dismiss something as a load of bollocks just because it doesnt apply to you personally. This is a mistake many people make.
Thanks for the tip O Great One and-closer-to-the-psyche-of-the-immigrant-than-I.

Questioning anything that's presented as fact is a healthy attitude to have, methinks.
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes...you are right..thats why i questioned your comment too!!

i dont profess to know any more or less than anyone else, i merely gave my opinion, the same as you did... without the sarcasm
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 4:20 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, couldn't help it. Let's not fall out over it.
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deal..i'm too hot to argue anyway
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Watch out for stage 5.

Loss of style

Bad hair

Rising inflexions

You lil bute mate
Stage 5 - I'm there already! Maybe due to fact I cannot find good hairdresser and everyone around here is still in shell suits!!!!