Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

found our first redback today!!

found our first redback today!!

Old Aug 8th 2005, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future
Default found our first redback today!!

my 9 yr old found a redback in our postbox today!!

they normally take turns to get the post
he came back and said quite calmly - i didnt get the post as there is a redback in the postbox

i was like nah - im sure there isnt!

opened the flap - i was like :scared:

used half a tin on it & any others that may be lurking!!

i didnt post this to scare others - i was just shocked at the response of the kids!! - apparently the school reminds the kids regularly to be on the lookout for creepy crawlies which i thought was good

pootle 26
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: found our first redback today!!

Hi Pootle
How long have u been out here for? We have been here for 4 months now and have only seen 2 redbacks, both recieved a full tin of spray!
Only took about a week to relise that you dont have to check under your toilet seat everytime you need a pee
Quite funny really all the worry about the spiders prior to arriving and yet touch wood you rarely see them...or are we just lucky?

Claire
Old Aug 8th 2005, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Thank goodness they stay hidden. That was one concern of mine having two small children. Just one question, where do you look out for them?

Lindsey
Old Aug 8th 2005, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Advise from an aussie - you shouldn't worry too much about redbacks- if you follow the basics, such as shaking outyour clothes and shoes before putting them on etc you should be fine. When you do find a redback (and everyone will at some point) a hard whack with a shoe works just as well (and is much cheaper and quicker) than a spray! Redbacks are not agressive - they just bite if they feel threatened. HOWEVER, always remember if (and that's a big IF) someone does gets bitten, do not apply a pressure bandage, but apply an ice pack instead, and then off to the hospital. No one has died from these spiders in many many years.

Bert 'n' Stella