Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Forster/Tuncurry??

Forster/Tuncurry??

Old May 3rd 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Forster/Tuncurry??

Can anyone tell me what it's like here? For a family with primary school aged kids. Is the beach near? It looks it on google? Would it be dull after living in Mel or Sydney?

Any tips on rentals or price guides although have looked at realestate...

thanks

pp xx
Old May 4th 2010, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forster/Tuncurry??

Originally Posted by plantpot
Can anyone tell me what it's like here? For a family with primary school aged kids. Is the beach near? It looks it on google? Would it be dull after living in Mel or Sydney?

Any tips on rentals or price guides although have looked at realestate...

thanks

pp xx
Honest opinion? Don't do it.

It's small town Australia by the sea. Great for a couple of days holiday, but not long-term. It's the sort of place you have to have lived in for 40 years before you're considered a local.

It does have lovely beaches and lakes nearby but the biggest shop would probably be KMart. And there's not even anything much further afield. Nearest towns are Taree (not the nicest country town) and Port Macquarie (a bigger version of Foster). When your kids grow up they'd have to leave town if they want any kind of education or career.

Not a bit like Sydney and Melbourne..
Old May 4th 2010, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, my dad lives in Halliday Point, which is not far from Tuncurry/ Forster. Lovely to visit and have a break, but i wouldnt want to live there. We have been to visit several times. Some of the beaches in that area are beautiful, . There is a shopping mall and a few restaurants. . I really enjoyed my stay there and my dad loves it, but he is 60 and it is abit sleepy and like the OP pointed out in years to come would have no career prospects or opportunities for the kids.
Old May 4th 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by emma75
Hi, my dad lives in Halliday Point, which is not far from Tuncurry/ Forster. Lovely to visit and have a break, but i wouldnt want to live there. We have been to visit several times. Some of the beaches in that area are beautiful, . There is a shopping mall and a few restaurants. . I really enjoyed my stay there and my dad loves it, but he is 60 and it is abit sleepy and like the OP pointed out in years to come would have no career prospects or opportunities for the kids.
Hmmmm thought as much prolly why they offer $$$ cos noone from Sydney?Melly really wants to go there....
Old May 4th 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NickyC
Honest opinion? Don't do it.

It's small town Australia by the sea. Great for a couple of days holiday, but not long-term. It's the sort of place you have to have lived in for 40 years before you're considered a local.

It does have lovely beaches and lakes nearby but the biggest shop would probably be KMart. And there's not even anything much further afield. Nearest towns are Taree (not the nicest country town) and Port Macquarie (a bigger version of Foster). When your kids grow up they'd have to leave town if they want any kind of education or career.

Not a bit like Sydney and Melbourne..
Thanks thought as much
Old May 4th 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

HAwks nest ...is it similar? Is there anywhere around there with redeeming qualities?
Old May 5th 2010, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

marian and ian burgess is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi My daughter, husband and two daughters age 5 and 7 live in Forster having been in Sydney previously. They love it and feel it's an ideal place to live with young children. They are certainly not worried about what might happen with the children ten years down the line. Think back to the UK. Many young people leave their small towns to go to Uni or to pursue a career so what's the difference here? It seems that most small Australian torwns are pretty similar in the social set up but isn't there something to be said for peace and quiet? Certainly don't dismiss it without taking and being sure of employment. That could be a sticking stone!
Marian and Ian
Old May 5th 2010, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marian and ian burgess
Hi My daughter, husband and two daughters age 5 and 7 live in Forster having been in Sydney previously. They love it and feel it's an ideal place to live with young children. They are certainly not worried about what might happen with the children ten years down the line. Think back to the UK. Many young people leave their small towns to go to Uni or to pursue a career so what's the difference here? It seems that most small Australian torwns are pretty similar in the social set up but isn't there something to be said for peace and quiet? Certainly don't dismiss it without taking and being sure of employment. That could be a sticking stone!
Marian and Ian
Thanks Marian and Ian, lovely to know might try to get in touch with them to ask some questions if I may? Can I PM you?
Old May 7th 2010, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

marian and ian burgess is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Plantpot(?) Yes of course. I am sure they would be able to help. Rentals are much cheaper there (but not so plentiful) and property prices are half what they are in Sydney. They have been able to buy a house there but no way could they in Sydney!
Marian and Ian
Old May 9th 2010, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Hey Plantpot are you getting these ideas off postcards or something?

Foster and Hawknest are definitely 2 of my favorite holiday destinations in NSW. They are absolutely beautiful small towns, although like earlier posters say probably both suffer from small town syndrome. Both are about 3 hrs drive from Sydney although they are not that far from Newcastle, I would live there myself only my there would be no demand for my occupation that far from the city.
Old May 9th 2010, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Hey Plantpot are you getting these ideas off postcards or something?

What?.......Now I am totaly confused horse man....
Old May 9th 2010, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tell me more about small town syndrome? What exactly is it?

PP
Old May 12th 2010, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

bump ...anyone else?
Old May 13th 2010, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by plantpot
Hmmmm thought as much prolly why they offer $$$ cos noone from Sydney?Melly really wants to go there....
i know lots of people in Sydney who would give their left knacker to live up there.
i know lots of people who would live anywhere to get out of Sydney.
And i know of people that moved to Forster but still worked in Sydney (work away during the week, stop in digs)
Depends what you want from life-
A nice house on the beach, uncrowded surf
River frontage home with your own jetty n speed boat
or
town house out west (Sydney) for the same price
Old May 13th 2010, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

say you wanted a nice home with a nice view, and you had half a mill to play around with

on the beach at Old Bar 4 bed, 3 bath
Attached Thumbnails Forster/Tuncurry??-old-bar4x2.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.