Fors & Againsts

Old Apr 12th 2003, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Anniexx is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Fors & Againsts

Hi all...I'm new here.Just discovered this site yesterday. I need some advice and this looks like the best place to get it.Ok,here goes.
We are thinking about moving to NZ within the next couple of years but haven't yet been.We are due to visit next january for a month to see if we like it enough to try for emigration.My parents visit yearly and 2 of my sisters have been and say it's 'the best place on earth' and they all want to move there.I am married with 2 daughters,1 is age 4 and the other is 3months.My husband is a carpenter by trade and has been in the business for 18yrs now.I would just like to hear opinions from someone different to my family who have been there and done it.Where is the best place to be for families like us and for work?My dad likes orewa and surrounding areas and they do sound nice but they are of a different age group to us.Would we like it there?
Also my sisters have 2dogs to get over there..how much does it cost for them to take them over?Ooohhhhhhh i have so many questions and would appreciate any advice i'm given,but this is a start.
Looking forward to hearing from you all..
Thanks in advance..
Anniexx
Old Apr 12th 2003, 8:21 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fors & Againsts

Originally posted by Anniexx
Hi all...I'm new here.Just discovered this site yesterday. I need some advice and this looks like the best place to get it.Ok,here goes.
We are thinking about moving to NZ within the next couple of years but haven't yet been.We are due to visit next january for a month to see if we like it enough to try for emigration.My parents visit yearly and 2 of my sisters have been and say it's 'the best place on earth' and they all want to move there.I am married with 2 daughters,1 is age 4 and the other is 3months.My husband is a carpenter by trade and has been in the business for 18yrs now.I would just like to hear opinions from someone different to my family who have been there and done it.Where is the best place to be for families like us and for work?My dad likes orewa and surrounding areas and they do sound nice but they are of a different age group to us.Would we like it there?
Also my sisters have 2dogs to get over there..how much does it cost for them to take them over?Ooohhhhhhh i have so many questions and would appreciate any advice i'm given,but this is a start.
Thanks in advance..
Anniexx
Why do you want to leave the UK?
Old Apr 12th 2003, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Florida_03
Why do you want to leave the UK?
Why would we want to stay?
The government are taking more and more money off us every year and it's not getting any better.Where is the money going?Certainly not benefitting us in any way.It's getting overcrowded here and we're getting sick of sitting in traffic for up to 2hrs just to get into the city centre,might aswell live in london!We want a better quality of life for our children.More countryside,clean beaches,better climate,they're just some of the reasons but i could sit here typing all day!!
Anniexx
Old Apr 12th 2003, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Don`t know if you subscibe already but if you go to

www.outboundnewspapers.com

You can subscribe to their New Zealand News which comes out each month. I currently get the Australian and the New Zealand ones and they are really helpful.

Hope this helps

footie chick
Old Apr 12th 2003, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by footie chick
Hi

Don`t know if you subscibe already but if you go to

www.outboundnewspapers.com

You can subscribe to their New Zealand News which comes out each month. I currently get the Australian and the New Zealand ones and they are really helpful.

Hope this helps

footie chick
Will check it out now..
Thanx.. Anniexx
Old Apr 12th 2003, 9:08 am
Not here

The government are taking more and more money off us every year and it's not getting any better.Where is the money going?Certainly not benefitting us in any way.It's getting overcrowded here and we're getting sick of sitting in traffic for up to 2hrs just to get into the city centre,might aswell live in london!We want a better quality of life for our children.More countryside,clean beaches,better climate,they're just some of the reasons but i could sit here typing all day!!
Anniexx
I live 45 kms North of Brisbane in Australia, have done so most of my life, with 3 years in NZ and short stints in the UK. All you say is true here too...I have grown to despise all Government in this country...

There is plenty of countryside all around me but no jobs...I can't afford to live close to where I work...the commute is only 50mins however...

Beaches are nice here but like everywhere the higher the population the worse they are. Climate, well strokes for folks...I personally hate the heat and humidity but have lived in it most of my life. A matter of acceptance I guess.

As for NZ it is a big step from the UK. You know they can't even afford one plane and therefore do not even have an Airforce...!!!

NZ is a pretty...but could you really live there..I mean REALLY live there...????
Old Apr 12th 2003, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Florida_03
I live 45 kms North of Brisbane in Australia, have done so most of my life, with 3 years in NZ and short stints in the UK. All you say is true here too...I have grown to despise all Government in this country...

There is plenty of countryside all around me but no jobs...I can't afford to live close to where I work...the commute is only 50mins however...

Beaches are nice here but like everywhere the higher the population the worse they are. Climate, well strokes for folks...I personally hate the heat and humidity but have lived in it most of my life. A matter of acceptance I guess.

As for NZ it is a big step from the UK. You know they can't even afford one plane and therefore do not even have an Airforce...!!!

NZ is a pretty...but could you really live there..I mean REALLY live there...????
Like i said before..we haven't been there yet and are due to go in january,so we'll know then if we like it.I just think that while we're young and can do it..then why not?We're an outdoorsy kinda lot and love the countryside but like you say,jobs would be a problem there.Thanx for your input matey
Anniexx
Old Apr 12th 2003, 9:44 am
Not here

Like i said before..we haven't been there yet and are due to go in january,so we'll know then if we like it.I just think that while we're young and can do it..then why not?We're an outdoorsy kinda lot and love the countryside but like you say,jobs would be a problem there.Thanx for your input matey
Anniexx
Best of luck. If you can hook the jobs AND the lifestyle your're set...but look at the job side first...unless of course your independantly wealthy...then it's all about lifestyle...
Old Apr 12th 2003, 9:48 am
Just Joined

dessy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, don't know if this will help or not, but recently I've been exploring the job market in NZ. I'm a surveyor for the construction industry and have had 2 offers so far which included help sorting out entry visas and free flights. Apparantly its very busy across there in construction and just like here in the UK good carpenters are valued and sought after.

Dessy
Thanks in advance..
Anniexx
Old Apr 12th 2003, 11:22 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Anniexx

Hi there,

We moved to NZ 6 months ago from Worcestershire Uk. So far we are enjoying it very much and have no regrets.
I don't know anything about the area you mentioned, so I can't help you there. As for your reasons for leaving the UK I feel you will benifit on every point except the tax one. NZ, having a very small population has a very small tax revenue which doesn't seem to go very far. You sometimes feel like you don't get much for your money, and are topping it up with doctors fees and school donations/stationary fees etc. However the cost of living in general is lower ie housing, motoring, food etc. NZ wages are lower (engineering trades in our case), we are under the same pressure to pay bills as we were in the UK but do so from a brand new 4 bed house in the best part of our town with a Pajero on the drive, which is a far cry from what we could have ever acheived in the UK. What little money is left over at the end of the week seems to go a lot further.
As for jobs, carpenters are in very short supply all over NZ due to the boom in new house builds. Be prepared to earn less money than the UK and lose a few years on the career ladder. Also NZ'ers have a tendancy to prefer to employ NZ'ers but as they are so desperate for carpenters this may not affect you too much.
All in all we love it here. There is much more space, much more freedom our children have adapted to NZ life without any problems and are thriving in their new school. Their Grandmother, a UK Educational Psychologist, recently visited the school and was very impressed with their approach to learning, as are we.
Emigrating is damned hard work. My advice is to be single minded to the point of bloody minded and just have a good go at it. The first few months are really tough but also really exciting. You need to be prepared to give it at least 2 years no matter how you feel when you first get out there.
We couldn't even contemplate life back in the UK.

Anymore questions feel free to ask.

Paula
Old Apr 12th 2003, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

originally posted by Florida_03

"As for NZ it is a big step from the UK. You know they can't even afford one plane and therefore do not even have an Airforce...!!!"

Come on Florida.......
Talk about misinformation, of course NZ have an AIRFORCE
at least PB backs up his rubbish with facts
Just read a post today from someone who is joining the NZ airforce, you better let them know.............
Old Apr 12th 2003, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

kezza is an unknown quantity at this point

:scared: yep thats me hoping to join the RNZAF - we have been told they have planes!
Old Apr 12th 2003, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by kezza
:scared: yep thats me hoping to join the RNZAF - we have been told they have planes!
Paula..Thanx for all your info..has been a great help.I'm sure i'll be back tomorrow with more questions..hope you don't mind?It's saturday night now and kids are wailing..bedtime methinks!
Good to know that NZ does have an airforce or you'd be well stuffed Kezza..hee hee!!
Seeya all tomorrow
Anniexx (Nz bound!)
Old Apr 12th 2003, 10:11 pm
Not here

Originally posted by Stoney
originally posted by Florida_03

"As for NZ it is a big step from the UK. You know they can't even afford one plane and therefore do not even have an Airforce...!!!"

Come on Florida.......
Talk about misinformation, of course NZ have an AIRFORCE
at least PB backs up his rubbish with facts
Just read a post today from someone who is joining the NZ airforce, you better let them know.............
Sorry, what I meant to say was that "NZ...can't even afford one fighter plane..." They have no Air Combat capability...

http://www.janes.com/aerospace/milit...0514_1_n.shtml

As for the statement that "NZ...therefore do not even have an Airforce" I stand by that. A few Orions, Hercs, Choppers and bib and bobs are not what I'd call an Airforce.:scared:
Old Apr 12th 2003, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Bryher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi

My husband is also a Carpenter and has just started his job out in New Zealand (been there 3 weeks). He's really enjoying it so far. As mentioned, Carpenters are very much in demand and are on the 'Occup. Shortages List'. He was offered the job whilst we were on holiday/fact-finding visit in October. Me and the kids are still here for a while longer - daughter doing GCSEs. but we hope to all be out there next year.
Have visited nz twice, both north and south island - we preferred the south island. Send me a private message if you want any questions answered.

Bryher

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.