Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Forget spiders & snakes - watch the sun

Forget spiders & snakes - watch the sun

Old Feb 25th 2006, 9:00 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Forget spiders & snakes - watch the sun

(Hope this doesn't sound patronising, it's not meant to be!)

Just a wee reminder to folks who are moving out to Oz to look after their skin when they are out there.

I know sometimes when you're concentrating on other things this might take a back seat, I know it has with us recently.

It came to the fore again as the first anniversary of my wife's cousin's death is coming up soon.

She was born in W.A. to Scottish parents, & during her teens didn't protect herself from the sun. To cut a long story short, she had melanoma for a second time, this time it spread to her liver, and she died in her mid-20's.

Anyway, remember to take care of your Northern European skin, if that's what you have.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 9:14 pm
nursey

mandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Forget spiders & snakes - watch the sun

Originally Posted by mackinnon

Just a wee reminder to folks who are moving out to Oz to look after their skin when they are out there.

I know sometimes when you're concentrating on other things this might take a back seat, I know it has with us recently.

It came to the fore again as the first anniversary of my wife's cousin's death is coming up soon.

She was born in W.A. to Scottish parents, & during her teens didn't protect herself from the sun. To cut a long story short, she had melanoma for a second time, this time it spread to her liver, and she died in her mid-20's.

Anyway, remember to take care of your Northern European skin, if that's what you have.
So sorry tohear that. I will take on board your warning. Thank you. karma sent
Old Feb 25th 2006, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your aunt.

Your threads not patronising, skin cancer is often taken as "oh well thats just a mole I can get it cut off" as you say tho, its often the start of a cancer that spreads inwards aus 60 mins did a docco last year on young kids (like your aunt 20's and teens) dying of cancer that started with just a mole, absolutely horrific.

Your right sun kills far more than snakes or spiders ever will.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 9:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I have just got the biopsy results from a lesion on my face which was removed a few weeks ago.

Fortunately it was benign but, believe me, it has made me think.

I will never go out without sunscreen (30+) and a hat in future.

I got it from fishing (over 50 years). I am not really one for sunbathing.

I would suggest that all you younger members...don't let it get to that...take it seriously NOW.

G
Old Feb 25th 2006, 9:53 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Its amazing you get so many threads from people affraid of spiders when only one person has died from a spider bite in the last 30 years in OZ while thousands die from things like skin cancer and car accidents due to bad country roads in OZ.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 9:56 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Its amazing you get so many threads from people affraid of spiders when only one person has died from a spider bite in the last 30 years in OZ while thousands die from things like skin cancer and car accidents due to bad country roads in OZ.
Well said.

Look at this from yesterday:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-28097,00.html

G
Old Feb 25th 2006, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you

Slip, slop. slap.

Warning to my child and to us

hugs Lace x
Old Feb 25th 2006, 10:09 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Well said.

G
That was the second this week after the tragedy at Mildura
Old Feb 25th 2006, 10:44 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah not to hard to slap on a bit of lotion each morning gradual tan guys you have years out there opposed to the usual 3-4weeks
Old Feb 26th 2006, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

I have just got the biopsy results from a lesion on my face which was removed a few weeks ago.

Fortunately it was benign but, believe me, it has made me think.

I will never go out without sunscreen (30+) and a hat in future.

I got it from fishing (over 50 years). I am not really one for sunbathing.

I would suggest that all you younger members...don't let it get to that...take it seriously NOW.

G

Spot on. I notice your avatar is appropriately dressed for a day on the beach

I have had various bits carved off my body over the past 8 years. All as a result of an Australian beach childhood. So far I am up to 97 stitches and so far nothing dangerous has popped up. I reckon this will continue for the next 20 - 30 years.

Take care.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Well said.

G
The previous saturday 6 kids aged 15 to 17 were killed (hit and run) as they stood on a corner waiting for a taxi, all they were doing was the usual saturday night party circuit. The driver an adult male just released from jail for many offences including driving, had his 4 year old son (allegedly) on his lap. Since saturday they've been showing the white coffins of the kids being buried, saddest thing.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 3:32 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Just for information, Woolworths and Coles sell litre pump-tubs of 30+ own brand sunblock for around $11. You use a lot playing golf although I hate the stuff!
Old Feb 26th 2006, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

smithfield22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice - I have two girls, one loves horse riding so I will be taking particular care over her - well all of us!!! Is the sun cream good over there - my daughter is allergic to certain creams - only found Boots own suncream OK?
Old Feb 26th 2006, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It never ceases to amaze me how melodramatic people can be about spiders and snakes. Long before I even arrived in Australia I knew it was something that you didn't have to panic about on a daily basis.

I've had cousins saying they wouldn't visit as a result.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 8:58 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Oh that is very sad. I worked for a Dermatologist for 10 years so know all too well the effects. It's the kids I worry about...i always see kiddies running around half naked in the sun...its not good! I'm a wide brimmed hat, factor 30+ and a huge shady tree kinda gal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.