Football, sorry

Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:59 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football, sorry

Originally Posted by OzTennis
There's been another theory going around that Man Utd and Liverpool have been better teams for yonks and it is nothing to do with the number of southern derbies!

The picture has changed in recent years thanks to Russian money and Portugese coaching ability.

OzTennis
Or those two had the most money and they don't anymore, how else do you think they became the best teams
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Thats a very valid point dear OT!

The turn out for the pre season Carlton /Essendon game was just short or 29,000!

Just a quick observation for the Dogs, i reckon its gonna be a cracking year for your boys

I'm gonna be taking my son along to the doggies matches a LOT more this year as i don't reckon i can bear goning to too many Essendon games
Yep, I think we are going to be a 'nearly' team this year - definitely in the finals but probably a few tall players short of the flag. Still, Eade has come up with an excellent strategy for a younger and faster squad than most - the high speed running game starting at the back. As you say it will be a 'fun' season for the Bullies.

OzTennis
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Or those two had the most money and they don't anymore, how else do you think they became the best teams
It is a fact of life that football is all about money now - perhaps you've been away too long? Once Sky Television started putting billions into the game it changed forever and it won't go back to the way it was.

Even Liverpool have found that they couldn't compete in the last few years and they sought and found their overseas sugar daddies recently.

Many observers believe the highest achieving team at the moment is Reading and Sir Alex last week nominated Coppell for manager of the year for what he has done (on more meagre resources than the Hammers I might add). It is amazing what Reading, Bolton, Portsmouth and Blackburn have done this year considering how disadvantaged they are financially but they will never win titles now, cups perhaps (Blackburn knocked out Arsenal last night to go into the last 8).

OzTennis
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I hate having to agree with a hammer but you are right.

I love it when people go on about the amount of money Chelsea spend. I can't remember Man Utd having a chook raffle to buy Rooney, Ferdinand, Ronaldo etc, etc, etc.

In recent years Liverpool have spent millions in an attempt to win the Premiership to no avail, especially under Houllier who must have made some of the worst buys in the history of football.

I am going to choke saying this, Arsenal are probably one of the few teams in recent years who spent relatively little money! and won the title.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh and it has been much more than just money to explain the Liverpool and Man Utd success over such a long period. I'll give you two words for Liverpool for starters:

Bill Shankly

OzTennis
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:22 am
Banned

chilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to all

Originally Posted by OzTennis
It is a fact of life that football is all about money now - perhaps you've been away too long? Once Sky Television started putting billions into the game it changed forever and it won't go back to the way it was.

Even Liverpool have found that they couldn't compete in the last few years and they sought and found their overseas sugar daddies recently.

Many observers believe the highest achieving team at the moment is Reading and Sir Alex last week nominated Coppell for manager of the year for what he has done (on more meagre resources than the Hammers I might add). It is amazing what Reading, Bolton, Portsmouth and Blackburn have done this year considering how disadvantaged they are financially but they will never win titles now, cups perhaps (Blackburn knocked out Arsenal last night to go into the last 8).

OzTennis
i think that poll and the fa knocked out arsenal last night.

good luck to blackburn, i really hopr they go on and win it..
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jond
I hate having to agree with a hammer but you are right.

I love it when people go on about the amount of money Chelsea spend. I can't remember Man Utd having a chook raffle to buy Rooney, Ferdinand, Ronaldo etc, etc, etc.

In recent years Liverpool have spent millions in an attempt to win the Premiership to no avail, especially under Houllier who must have made some of the worst buys in the history of football.

I am going to choke saying this, Arsenal are probably one of the few teams in recent years who spent relatively little money! and won the title.
The worst buys in history is interesting. Other nominations:

David O'Leary at Leeds (and Aston Villa)
Dick Advocaat at Rangers (eg paid £12 mill or thereabouts, quite a while ago for Flo from Chelsea).

Wenger has the only viable alternative to buying players - identify young, quick, cheap talent at an early age. Funny how Theo is the only one he could find in England!

OzTennis
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

It is amazing what Reading, Bolton, Portsmouth and Blackburn have done this year considering how disadvantaged they are financially but they will never win titles now, cups perhaps (Blackburn knocked out Arsenal last night to go into the last 8).

But the problem is that they can't mantain that form over 3 or 4 years and this you need to do to have any chance of building a platform to make an attempt on the title. Even Arsenal haven't managed to win back to back titles.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chilli
i think that poll and the fa knocked out arsenal last night.

good luck to blackburn, i really hopr they go on and win it..

You appear to have gone to the Arsene Wenger 'the whole world is against me' charm school.

I saw both matches and his players had enough chances to bury Rovers a dozen times. Is that Graham Poll's fault?

After the match - Wenger 'I've seen the referee's report (on the Chelsea Carling Cup match) and it is all lies'.

OzTennis
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

What a crap manager, all you ever heard him bleat about was "there a young team etc, etc"

Bad managers, where do you start: Keegan, Souness, Pleat, Atkinson.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

After the match - Wenger 'I've seen the referee's report (on the Chelsea Carling Cup match) and it is all lies'.

Arsene Whinger and he isn't even a pom
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is amazing what Reading, Bolton, Portsmouth and Blackburn have done this year considering how disadvantaged they are financially but they will never win titles now, cups perhaps (Blackburn knocked out Arsenal last night to go into the last 8).

But the problem is that they can't mantain that form over 3 or 4 years and this you need to do to have any chance of building a platform to make an attempt on the title. Even Arsenal haven't managed to win back to back titles.
Agreed, I said they will never win titles because they can't do it over 38 matches or whatever, let alone build a platform. A cup here and there, UEFA Cup qualification, Premiership survival, that's about their lot.

Arsenal haven't managed back to back because of Man Utd's strength; now Chelsea have taken over their mantle as the only viable Red Devils challenger.

Mourinho's abilities as a tactician and man manager are unjustifiably devalued by Abramovich's money too. If truth be known he didn't want Ballack and Shevchenko and the inclusion of these two has weakened their title challenge this year which at the moment looks like heading back up the motorway.

OzTennis
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Arsene Whinger and he isn't even a pom
Apparently he wasn't like this at Monaco, it's only been since he moved to England.

OzTennis
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What a crap manager, all you ever heard him bleat about was "there a young team etc, etc"

Yep, Keegan. NUFC are my English team - 9 point lead, cracked under the psychological pressure from the Canny Scot!!

OzTennis
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sounness at Liverpool, at Newcastle, at Blackburn, at Galatasaray ............. which all came after his only success at Rangers where David Murray's money was in no small way responsible for their 9 in a row domination over Celtic (6 or 7 to him before Walter Smith took over).

Kenny Dalglish and Ruud Gullit at Newcastle further disasters. One thing Keegan did was bring in some very good footballers, Dalglish sold them and brought in journeymen.

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.