Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Food you must try when you arrive in Oz

Food you must try when you arrive in Oz

Old May 1st 2006, 7:36 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of
Default Food you must try when you arrive in Oz

Hello

Although we all miss the 'proper' Cadbury's choccie (though personally I'm quite happy with Cadburys here), Thorntons, Marks and Sparks this and that, there are MANY Aussie delights awaiting you and that I wish I'd known about.....I'm a real foodie so please add to the list.

1. Darrel Lea's "Rocky Road" ($3 of indulgence)
2. Ask for chicken salt (also known as seasoned salt) on take away chips
3. IN fish and chip shops, don't stick to cod, make your way through all their fish choices until you find your favourite.
4. Until recently I was having Bisto gravy powder posted to me. I have now been told that the 'SOOO' brand of gravy is actually Bisto.
5. Anzac biscuits
6. Vegemite or Promite. Slightly different taste to marmite but just TRY it - you never know.
7. Smiths Lamb and Mint crisps. (Not quite as good as Walkers but they are trying to get their act together crisp wise and no, I refuse to call them 'chips')
8. Uncle Toby's brand of cereal.
9. Bi-lo own brand chocolate coated honeycombe. For all Crunchie lovers, this is better value and very bit as delicious
10. For Sunday morning breakie anywhere - the Aussies do a great Eggs Benedicte. I've struggled to have a bad one.

On a final note, can anyone find me an Aussie substitue for a double decker????
Happy eating

Sunshine Sarah
Old May 1st 2006, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of
Default Re: Food you must try when you arrive in Oz

Are there any forum experts here that know how I can hide this post from my wife?

Originally Posted by sunshinesarah
Hello

Although we all miss the 'proper' Cadbury's choccie (though personally I'm quite happy with Cadburys here), Thorntons, Marks and Sparks this and that, there are MANY Aussie delights awaiting you and that I wish I'd known about.....I'm a real foodie so please add to the list.

3. IN fish and chip shops, don't stick to cod, make your way through all their fish choices until you find your favourite.
4. Until recently I was having Bisto gravy powder posted to me. I have now been told that the 'SOOO' brand of gravy is actually Bisto.
5. Anzac biscuits
6. Vegemite or Promite. Slightly different taste to marmite but just TRY it - you never know.
7. Smiths Lamb and Mint crisps. (Not quite as good as Walkers but they are trying to get their act together crisp wise and no, I refuse to call them 'chips')
9. Bi-lo own brand chocolate coated honeycombe. For all Crunchie lovers, this is better value and very bit as delicious
10. For Sunday morning breakie anywhere - the Aussies do a great Eggs Benedicte. I've struggled to have a bad one.

Happy eating

Sunshine Sarah
Old May 1st 2006, 7:56 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

5. Anzac biscuits

Happy eating

Sunshine Sarah

Morrisons sell Anzac biscuits over here....................they are the best biccies ever.
Can't remember if they were Kellogs but we had a fab cereal that was butterscotch flavour........yummy
But my very fave things that you can't get here are Moreton Bay bugs. They are plug ugly :scared: :scared: but taste devine.
Hubby was hooked on Barramundi.
For the boozers amongst us try a dark and stormy or 3. Bundi rum and ginger (sounds awful, tastes great)

Loz x
Old May 1st 2006, 8:02 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

In Adelaide you can get Thorntons chocolates in David Jones department store.

Seem horribly expensive in $$$ but still worth it as a treat - I love the Choccies!

Fish and chips - brought up on haddock myself, but I like butterfish here, and the Fisherman's basket which includes calamari and prawns plus butterfish.

Elaine
Old May 1st 2006, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by loz
Morrisons sell Anzac biscuits over here....................they are the best biccies ever.
Can't remember if they were Kellogs but we had a fab cereal that was butterscotch flavour........yummy
But my very fave things that you can't get here are Moreton Bay bugs. They are plug ugly :scared: :scared: but taste devine.
Hubby was hooked on Barramundi.
For the boozers amongst us try a dark and stormy or 3. Bundi rum and ginger (sounds awful, tastes great)

Loz x
Your hubby may be pleased to know that due to over fishing around the UK, their is a new fish farm with totally naturally grown fish from around Oz and barramundi being one of them being sold to food outlets in the UK.
Old May 1st 2006, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

5. Anzac biscuits

Happy eating

Sunshine Sarah
I too love rocky road, in fact there is lots in Darrell Lea that I want to try.
Agree about the chicken salt too, chips taste so nice with it. We have taken a liking to Teryaki Chicken too and it is great now that the kids choose that from the food court in the shopping centre over McDonalds or KFC
Old May 1st 2006, 9:34 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Lime and Cracked Pepper Chips (as in crisps) - gorgeous
Old May 1st 2006, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Lime and Cracked Pepper Chips (as in crisps) - gorgeous
Christ I'd forgotten about Double Deckers. Its the biscuit that makes them.

The other day in a servo, I hesitated looking for a 'Topic' and couldn't remember - after 4 years since I first left the UK whether or not you could get them here.

badge
Old May 1st 2006, 10:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Christ I'd forgotten about Double Deckers. Its the biscuit that makes them.

The other day in a servo, I hesitated looking for a 'Topic' and couldn't remember - after 4 years since I first left the UK whether or not you could get them here.

badge
Are you coming for a curry or not...won't ask you again!!
Old May 1st 2006, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

5. Anzac biscuits

Happy eating

Sunshine Sarah

Cherry Ripes - similar to Ruffles Bars but sooo much nicer (also available as ice cream)

Arnotts Tim Tams - a bit like Penguins - Tesco sell these
Old May 1st 2006, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Are you coming for a curry or not...won't ask you again!!
Yes/No.

The girls are coming back tomorrow. If we can get a babysitter we could. We should have met up the last few weeks. See what I can do. Like to meet yourself and Eagle.
Old May 1st 2006, 10:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Yes/No.

The girls are coming back tomorrow. If we can get a babysitter we could. We should have met up the last few weeks. See what I can do. Like to meet yourself and Eagle.
oh....see what you can do...be good to meet
No date fixed yet, there is a thread up in the Barbie...but last time did that nothing came of it really. Eddie and I have said we'll go anyway..PM me with a good day if you can come, and I'll sort it out with Eddie ?
Old May 1st 2006, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

My partner is constantly going on about how amazing Dim Sims and Chico Rolls are! Both are very bad for you but who cares. She swears they're delicious and I'm really looking forward to trying those when I get to Australia. She suggests soya sauce on the dim sims, steamed or fried. Hmmm.
Old May 1st 2006, 2:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karmagirls
My partner is constantly going on about how amazing Dim Sims and Chico Rolls are! Both are very bad for you but who cares. She swears they're delicious and I'm really looking forward to trying those when I get to Australia. She suggests soya sauce on the dim sims, steamed or fried. Hmmm.
The Bloke used to rave about Chico rolls to me, got very cross once that he couldn't get them in UK 7-11s! I tried one once - cue the "Vomit" smilie
looking at that original list though - the Lamb and Mint crisps are seriously good, they really do taste of it! Canadian Bacon and Cheese flavour, Smiths again, are also yummy. I like those Lime and pepper ones that caroline mentioned too - gimme more!!!!
Old May 1st 2006, 2:12 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Chico rolls, chips and a choc milk or coffee chill - heaven!!!!!

I am missing McD's double quarter pounders with cheese! I don't eat beef in the Uk and miss my Aussie steaks, burgers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.