Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is food cheaper than Perth in the UK?

Is food cheaper than Perth in the UK?

Old May 19th 2007, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is food cheaper than Perth in the UK?

We make a lovely beef stew and cook it in the crockpot every week . We also eat bangers and mash and scotch fillet steak We still like the good older style meals
There are just the two of us and we are retired. We spend between $110-$160 a week, depending on how much cleaning stuff I need.

Last edited by Vin 'n Bin; May 19th 2007 at 11:16 am.
Old May 19th 2007, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
For us personally I worked full time in England so everything I cooked had to be quick. Crappy cook in sauces, tesco finest ready meals etc etc. Here I don't work so I have rediscovered my passion for cooking and use very few, if any, of these products now. More fresh produce in our house for sure.
Can of tomatoes, some fresh herbs and garlic, cooks down in 20 minutes = sauce. Costs about 75p all in. Takes 5 minutes to put a chicken in the oven and then the oven does the rest, maybe you have to spend 5 minutes carving it. Time to put fresh broccoli in steamer over saucepan - about 20 seconds. Steams in 10 minutes. Stir-fry with fresh vegetables and prawns = 5 minutes. And so on.

I seriously have never understood the "I work full time so I can't cook fresh vegetables" argument. Get in at 6.30, eat homecooked food by 7.30. The problem is people have been brainwashed into thinking that because they are busy professionals they must eat "on the go". You can see this by the way the adverts are usually structured round the busy professional working mum wonderwoman coming home from a hard day at the office and slamming some junk in the microwave.
Old May 19th 2007, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Well just got back from shopping at asda and thought id try and download my receipt for you all to see.
I love to see whats in other peoples trollys .

As you can see no caviar yuk!
And no we are not a bunch of fatties .
Really dont know where all the food goes i think the fairies down the botom of the garden come in and raid me fridge.

shopping list.pdf
Old May 19th 2007, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough

eddie007
wow... you all spend a lot on shopping... we spend less than £110 for a family of 6 per week... that includes occasional meals for friends...loads of fruit n veggies, salads.. what do you all eat ? caviar?

We are quite old fashioned I suppose.... roast sunday, cold roast i/c salad monday, if there is any left .. curried on tuesday i/c rice ... the rest of the week are things like chops, sausage n mash, shepherd pies, lasagne, pasta, and stews...
Wow can you give me some tips please thats incredible we spend £70 to £80 a week for just the two of us and we hardly treat ourselves!
Old May 19th 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
I know it's a pretty general question but my husband keeps saying how much more expensive he finds Perth for decent food shopping.

We were also 3 back then and now we're 5!

Has anyone done a 'like for like' comparison i.e. fruit/veg, meat (which I think is much cheaper), toiletries, washing/cleaning products, nappies!

We have ended up shopping in Herdies and the Boatshed in Cottesloe.

Only if anyone has the time!

Thanks all.
Hi Stef,

I can now officially say that I think it's more expensive in Perth. I have been to Asda and Sainsburys since returning to the UK and can't even begin to take in the choice of food compared to Oz. Don't want to slag Perth off (ha ha) but the food here seems so much fresher. Had a roast chicken the other day and it fed 4 adults easily. In Perth they were so small and watery (had to buy the free range ones in the end) that they only fed us 2 adults and 1 nearly 4 yr old. I have to add though that after taking 2 yrs to get used to dollars and thinking everything was expensive, I'm now doing it the other way round and thinking everything is cheap because £20 just seems like $20 and you get so much more for it! Need to start converting to dollars to realise what things really cost!

Hope you are all well

Jo
Old May 19th 2007, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clougherty family
£20 just seems like $20 and you get so much more for it!
Food maybe, but not real estate.
Old May 19th 2007, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mum01753
Well just got back from shopping at asda and thought id try and download my receipt for you all to see.
I love to see whats in other peoples trollys .

As you can see no caviar yuk!
And no we are not a bunch of fatties .
Really dont know where all the food goes i think the fairies down the botom of the garden come in and raid me fridge.

Attachment 45768
Thanks fior that, we now need for some one to do the exact same ahop n perth so ew can compare..

I would save you money with

NO POT NOODLES
get rid of the dog... its costing and arm & a leg what with food & treats
Radox?
DVDs
Schwartz... there is always an own brand alternative.
Out of season SPROUTS!!!!
Cauliflower chees... 58p each in sainsburys and make your own sauce for 35p
A brought cottage pie... egt thee behind me satan. tis the work of the devil... make your own for £2.50
as for the volvic... well you can just drink water instead ( oops that is water)

Seriously thanks for that its good to see how other people shop... I am SO NOSEY!"
Old May 19th 2007, 11:06 pm
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry, don't have time to reply to this !! AAAHHHH I just did LOL!!

I know it's a pretty general question but my husband keeps saying how much more expensive he finds Perth for decent food shopping.

We were also 3 back then and now we're 5!

Has anyone done a 'like for like' comparison i.e. fruit/veg, meat (which I think is much cheaper), toiletries, washing/cleaning products, nappies!

We have ended up shopping in Herdies and the Boatshed in Cottesloe.

Only if anyone has the time!

Thanks all.
Old May 19th 2007, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I don't get this "we eat a lot more fresh foods here" business. Surely you could've eaten 'fresh foods' back in the UK????

Just wonderin'!!

We spend about $250 p.w. Family of four. oh, and two cats.

I don't know about anyone else, but I used to get my shopping delivered by Asda in the UK. I did a shop once a month so usually got loads of frozen stuff, the fresh stuff only lasted a week. So we ate fresh stuff one week a month and frozen stuff the rest of it.

There were no greengrocers etc in Bradford unless I either went into town to the market or down to Morissons which was near town, but then I couldn't get it all home on the bus and a taxi was £7.50. (I can't drive BTW)

Now I have a supermarket just over the road, so tend to shop a lot more often because I can carry it home.

So yeah, we eat more fresh stuff here because A - it's easier to get here and B - there's not really much choice of frozen stuff (which is a blessing really )

Of course the down side to it is that I have to cook more, which I detest.
Old May 19th 2007, 11:59 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
Can of tomatoes, some fresh herbs and garlic, cooks down in 20 minutes = sauce. Costs about 75p all in. Takes 5 minutes to put a chicken in the oven and then the oven does the rest, maybe you have to spend 5 minutes carving it. Time to put fresh broccoli in steamer over saucepan - about 20 seconds. Steams in 10 minutes. Stir-fry with fresh vegetables and prawns = 5 minutes. And so on.

I seriously have never understood the "I work full time so I can't cook fresh vegetables" argument. Get in at 6.30, eat homecooked food by 7.30. The problem is people have been brainwashed into thinking that because they are busy professionals they must eat "on the go". You can see this by the way the adverts are usually structured round the busy professional working mum wonderwoman coming home from a hard day at the office and slamming some junk in the microwave.
My kids couldn't eat at 7.30 mate, I know what you are saying but in reality it sometimes doesn't work like that.
Old May 20th 2007, 12:01 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stef,

I can now officially say that I think it's more expensive in Perth. I have been to Asda and Sainsburys since returning to the UK and can't even begin to take in the choice of food compared to Oz. Don't want to slag Perth off (ha ha) but the food here seems so much fresher. Had a roast chicken the other day and it fed 4 adults easily. In Perth they were so small and watery (had to buy the free range ones in the end) that they only fed us 2 adults and 1 nearly 4 yr old. I have to add though that after taking 2 yrs to get used to dollars and thinking everything was expensive, I'm now doing it the other way round and thinking everything is cheap because £20 just seems like $20 and you get so much more for it! Need to start converting to dollars to realise what things really cost!

Hope you are all well

Jo
Shouldn't you be out doing something wonderfully exciting like rambling through the lovely countryside or getting pissed in some quaint pub.
Old May 20th 2007, 12:17 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

My kids couldn't eat at 7.30 mate, I know what you are saying but in reality it sometimes doesn't work like that.

Or more to the point cant be arsed to cook.
Old May 20th 2007, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Come on guys!

Shouldn't you be out doing something wonderfully exciting like rambling through the lovely countryside or getting pissed in some quaint pub.
This is a new thread about FOOD! Let's keep it as informative as it has been so far, and thanks everyone for your replies.
Old May 20th 2007, 12:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

Default Re: Come on guys!

This is a new thread about FOOD! Let's keep it as informative as it has been so far, and thanks everyone for your replies.
sorry
Old May 20th 2007, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stef,

Hope you are all well

Jo

Yes you are quite right about the chickens........they were discussed on another thread weren't they? We buy the free range ones, but I've never worked out how the breasts are so huge when you buy them seperately.
Glad you are doing ok.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.