Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Following your move to Oz, what are you glad you won't have to do any more?

Following your move to Oz, what are you glad you won't have to do any more?

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Following your move to Oz, what are you glad you won't have to do any more?

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
interesting...your reasons seem to include many that others quote as something they miss about the UK....honest reply, mistake, provocative post, or piss take?
One man's meat is another man's poison.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Following your move to Oz, what are you glad you won't have to do any more?

Shovel snow. Scrape ice off the car before I can drive. Rake leaves. See my in-laws.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
I hope that this was meant to be a joke.
Sounds pretty accurate to me.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:18 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I think that is what turned me again Christmas. Every year having to try and please everyone. Spending hours on the M62 and M6 to get to go visit the outlaws when in 12 years of living down south not once did anybody come to ours even when invited.
Feel for me, Northernbird.

Now that it looks like we'll still be in the UK for Christmas, we've been instructed to go to Folkestone next weekend (Himself's mother), Warrington on Christmas Eve (children's other gran) and my parents in Newcastle on Christmas Day. Not for dinner though, because they thought we wouldn't be here so they invited their friends for dinner instead. But they would like to see the kids. And its the last Christmas they'll be able to do that.

My mother was always good at guilt trips - just not very good at actual trips..

(I've got to keep her sweet because she's having the dogs for a couple of weeks before they fly out)

I won't miss all the politics of dealing with three sets of parents.

And I definitely won't miss the A1/A14/M11/M25/M20 hell of a trip from York to bleeding Kent either.

::does a grumpy face::
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sounds pretty accurate to me.
So I guess the over priced, over crowded, late running, with no capital investment for 30 years uk public transport system is superior. OK its not perfect here but at least ordinary people can afford to use public transport without taking out a second mortgage.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:31 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
interesting...your reasons seem to include many that others quote as something they miss about the UK....honest reply, mistake, provocative post, or piss take?
All of the above...

But on a more serious note:

Drive anywhere in the UK - cup final days excepted.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:58 am
We're going home...yeay!!

Location: Crossing off the days until I can leave Oz and go home.
Tracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really nice

Can't wait until I can walk anywhere, even in the depths of winter, without having to slip and slide my way down the pavement hanging on to fences for dear life so I don't fall over and make a total tit of myself and end up cold and wet. Then spend 20 minutes waiting for a "once every 10 minutes" bus service, pay a fortune to stand and steam gently with everyone coughing and sneezing on me on said bus for another 20 minutes as we crawl up Mansfield Road into Nottingham City Centre.

Can't wait to see how winter in Adelaide compares....bring it on!!!!!!

T xx
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:05 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I won't miss Oxford Circus tube station, trying to push my way on to a train and getting groped in the process.

Or perhaps there is a better class of grope in Subiaco
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Following your move to Oz, what are you glad you won't have to do any more?

Originally Posted by Nerine
to really appreciate Australia one has to have endured NZ first (Hard yards? )
I totally totally understand.

In fact, I shall use your phrase on my in-laws at Christmas. That should endear me further to them................

Buzzy
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

billywetpants will become famous soon enough

Put hot pieces of metal I have just machined into my pockets to try and keep warm in winter.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:31 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

On trying to plan a day out, not having to say to the kids 'we'll have to see what the weather doing'!!!!! C x
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:44 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I shall certainly not miss going down to the seafront (we live near Southend on sea) and looking at the beach thinking "that looks awful"... and then gazing across the sea to see the vile oil refineries on Canvey Island *shudder* it's such a horrible stoney beach too!

Having the kids off school in the summer hols and thinking "must pay to go somewhere" because is it always peeing down cold rain for the whole 6 weeks.

The caustraphobic feeling I get living in England (specially the southeast).. like there is no space to breathe.. and when you do breathe you are breathing in smog or car fumes!

Ooh I like this post.. makes me remember why I am emigrating and I get all excited again!!

Em x
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:22 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
One man's meat is another man's poison.
as a vegetarian, that holds more truth for me than most...but I can still appreciate a joke when I read one, don't often require guidance.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:38 am
is hoping for the best

Location: dont know when now, but birmingham to perth soon :-(
english-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant future

i wont miss english weather, brummy accents, my inlaws, colds and dry throats from central heating, bumping into people i went to school with,having not seen them for years and quietly comparing myself to them,

in facts, its more a case of what i WILL miss, my family, thats about it.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:48 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Getting up to an alarm clock...Ive managed to work things out that here I dont have to..bliss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.